Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This song came about because of several different Off Topic threads.
The first was eddie asking about Acidized Loops.
That lead to Joanne asking about "loop based DAWs".
Then there were a couple of "all over the place" threads discussing "the modern sound".

I have used loops in the past to add things (sounds or feel) to a mostly-BIAB production. But, not what I would call "the Loop Thing".
I believe that to get that "modern" Pop thing, you are really better off using loops in a DAW that handles loops well...BIAB can likely do it - if you put in enough effort - but that is not its "strength".
Since I have never done an ALL LOOPS song, I thought I would give it a try.

I used loops from the BAIB Loops folder, so this meets the requirement of "using PGMusic products". Barely.

I also processed the vocals more heavily than my typical productions.
(the harmonies, too - much of which are from Janice & Bud).
There has been some discussion about how vocal processing really drives that "modern" sound.
I believe that, whole heartedly.

It does seem that most of the people who seemed interested in these discussions have sort of disappeared - gone off elsewhere - left these discussion sort of hanging... oh well...

I suppose this could be an entry to Sammy #Hot100 thing, but it was not an attempt to copy anything from that list.
Does this hit that "modern" mark? I don't know.
Feel free to weigh in on that if you choose.
(It IS new to me.)
I won't do this often, but it did open my eyes to new possibilities.
I would much rather have a record produced by Jay Joyce or Dave Cobb.
(Both doing very current, very organic records for new artists).

These are the loops:

A Hip-Hop midi beat from GrooveMonkee - rendered with Studio One Impact

Studio One Loops (guitars) (audio loops)
01 Conviction G-A open
06 Conviction F#-B-A
07 Conviction A-F-G
08 Conviction A straight

I created 3 midi bass loops to coordinate with the Studio One guitar loops.
(rendered with Studio One Presence)

BIAB Loops (audio loops)
Chillout - awake_88_short_lead_a_minor
Dubstep - straight_gee_70_shaker_a_minor ev16
Old School - bumping_95_b drums ev16

I created 2 samples from Janice's vocals to mix in to the last chorus.

I will post a picture of the mix in Studio One.
It is certainly different than my usual mix screen.
The tracks are in the order of the above listed loops.

A BIG THANK YOU to Janice Merritt for the harmonies!
And to Bud for recording her...

I used the idea of "chasing that next thing" for the basis of the lyric.
(Seemed like what a lot of those Off Topic threads were about...)
So this all came about because of this forum....(or that one over there)

A NEW YOU

we've always done things a certain way
we had an understanding
we didn't ask too much of one another
no ultimatums no demanding

now you want to change all that
you want to shake thing up
brand new mask a different hat
talk of breaking up
upside down, spinning 'round
coming down and landing hard
where is this all coming from
you caught me off guard

a new you
i can't keep up
i can't keep up
a new you
i can't keep up
i can't catch
this new you

is it really better on the other side
the grass really that much greener
didnt you hear what taylor said
those people are so much meaner

you want to change this and that
you want to shake thing up
brand new mask a different hat
talk of breaking up
upside down, spinning 'round
coming down and landing hard
where is this all coming from
you caught me off guard

a new you
i can't keep up
i can't keep up
a new you
i can't keep up
i can't catch
this new you

i watched you walk away
i heard you slam that door
i truly hope you find
what you are looking for

a new you
i can't keep up
i can't keep up
a new you
i can't keep up
i can't catch
this new you

Have fun with this. I did.
Comments much encouraged.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A screen shot of the Loops mentioned above...

And a shot of the vocals in the last chorus that includes the "Janice Samples"

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

Wow! This is like hearing the sound of a new blend of Pop Country... A tremendous piece of work. The vocal and mix is just great - so crisp and sharp.

I love the breakdown at around 2:21 - also when the "Janice Samples" comes in - great stuff!

Blown away and impressed by what you have accomplished here...

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, too bad those threads died off, I was quite interested in those discussions after I got over my initial prejudice about what is "good" and certainly learned a few things along the way, especially the discussion on processing vocals.

Maybe you could break down what you used on the vocals? I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be interested in that.

Sounds good to me, the chorus is especially strong.

I'm no expert on what is hip and current, not even close! But, this sounds modern to these old ears smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,
"brand new mask a different hat" which you wear with cache, sir!
An amazing accomplishment which proves many points about the possibilities,both of the software and the ability of real musicians to reinvent themselves... in any era.
I really liked that chord change on the first line of the chorus and hearing both you and Janice in this outside the box setting.
Oh, and the blue shades!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Sounds great man.

I really like what you have done here artistically. To tell you the truth the contest didn't make complete sense to me, really.

I think artists are going to do what they are going to do and blaze their own trail.

I feel there are plenty of artists here on the forum. Just because someone is not imitating what is on the radio this second does not mean they are not "modern." The most modern moment I have never heard is when Tom Waits started banging on a saucepan and screaming over an out of tune guitar. Modern is what you say it is, if you are an artist, not what anyone else says it is, in my opinion.

In that spirit, I really enjoyed this as another side of Floyd.

And I did not leave you hanging. About to post.

Tell me if you recognize anybody noteworthy.

smile

User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Interested sound.
I prefer your tipical sound but good work at the same time.

I never used loops in my music, so I've found your post interesting.

Sergio

Sergio
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I love how the off topic subforum can spark such creativity. I really dig what you came up with, and it's super awesome to what threads like those inspire people to make song-wise. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for listing Floyd. What a great effort to knit all those loops together.
Sounds very modern to me. Great effort sir. Rob

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Lot of good takeaways here. The 'Modern' challenge seems to coax stronger lyrics from the writers that are moving out of their traditional comfort zone. I think that it's going to be good for the Biab community in general with the new emphasis on improving the vocal effects chain.

This is a good write, mix, production and performance. It's certainly an enjoyable listen and for me, you hit your stride and was on the mark frome about 2:20 on....

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow Floyd, you could've fool me about not being used to an old loops production. Outstanding job all around.

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd & Janice

Technically extremely clever - quite an undertaking!
Liked the song some wonderful writing - the vocals sound great - loved the way you used the Janice loop (and of course the harmony). You two sound so in sync it's uncanny.
Impressive work all round.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ok...when I see terms like "Chillout" and "Dubstep" In a Floyde Jane song...you can understand where for the first time in a while; I really didn't have an expectation of how it would sound. "Straight conviction" I expect in any song of yours though wink

Man, you knocked it out of the park. I think you made the loops work really well; and still managed to keep "you." It's like a fresh take on something you already love. It's not giving up on anything you've done to only be this. Both is such a cool answer.

The orchestration and arrangement to give the song movement was awesome in my book.

The syncopation created by a combination of word choice AND delivery was impressive!

Then contrasted by the held out chorus (nice melodic and harmonic supoort choices btw) really makes the song work. Again, word choice was brilliant for the melodic content of being held out.

Thank you for making this song. It's says SO MUCH beyond the words and music you have written. Class, Floyd. You both teach it and have it.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool and interesting piece of work.

Some time back in Sonar, I used loops to create a short instrumental piece. It was a fun experiment.

It's always good to try new things to get us out of the rut we all tend to find too comfortable.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Really well done! Definitely a really modern feel, and you incorporated those loops stunningly well. The way the song builds with all those harmonies at the chorus is incredible. It gives it such a huge, tremendously powerful energy. Honestly, this is one of my favourites I've heard from you.

You nailed this one - thanks so much for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dear Floyd

Well done for rising to the challenge! I think far too often most of us are too ready to sit on the sidelines and talk instead of diving in and getting our feet wet!

And you have shown us all how to do it and shown us all so well. Good on you!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd this is an excellent piece of music. I think your vocal skill would sound great in all different kinds of songs. If talking out loud my music tastes tend to lean more to classic rock and blues. But since becoming a member of the forum I have acquired a taste for all the different genres and it pleases me to hear people take a chance on something they haven't tried before. This software allows you to throw up some chords, spin the style selector add somethings that don't make sense and see what happens. I have heard so much really good music that have genres blended.

Well done...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

Wow! This is like hearing the sound of a new blend of Pop Country... A tremendous piece of work. The vocal and mix is just great - so crisp and sharp.

I love the breakdown at around 2:21 - also when the "Janice Samples" comes in - great stuff!

Blown away and impressed by what you have accomplished here...

Bob

Well, thanks, Bob. You made my day...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Yes, too bad those threads died off, I was quite interested in those discussions after I got over my initial prejudice about what is "good" and certainly learned a few things along the way, especially the discussion on processing vocals.

Maybe you could break down what you used on the vocals? I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be interested in that.

Sounds good to me, the chorus is especially strong.

I'm no expert on what is hip and current, not even close! But, this sounds modern to these old ears smile

Dave - thanks for your continued support... appreciated...

And in response to your question... (be careful what you ask for - HA!)

Generally I group the mains vocals on one bus and the harmonies on a separate bus.
For some songs I don't group the harmonies - and then process them separately.
For this, all the vocals are group in a single bus which include these plugins:

(this acts as a D-esser: I know the line looks crazy - but it works... based on A Studio One preset for d-essing, then "increased" some)

EQ:

"regular" Compressor...

Analog Delay...

Room Reverb...

Limiter... (does very little)

And another reverb...

The Limiter and 2nd Reverb were "something new and different" for this effort.
The EQ, 2nd Compressor, Analog Delay and 1st Reverb are my normal go-to group.

I duplicated the main vocal and processed with these, then blended the two tracks.

EQ - dropping out the highs (and lows)...

Chorus... (fattens the vocal a bit)

This is a stereo "spreader" - increasing the distance between the left and right channels...

In addition to the big group above, the harmonies all got a Beat Delay...
(this is a very cool Studio One delay)

[img]http://floydjane.com/Pix/GDelay.JPG[/img]

smile

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
In addition to the big group above, the harmonies all got a Beat Delay...
(this is a very cool Studio One delay)

(I think I hit a picture limit in the thread above.)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,555
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199