#558632 10/10/19 11:27 AM
User Showcase
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Come With Me (Soundcloud)

I was working on a track for a remix competition and I got a backing track I liked but didn't work with the vocal stems. So I decided to put my own lyrics to them and see if it worked. I'm pretty happy with the results although I still have a long way to go with the recording and mixing process.

I only used a couple of RealTracks which I used as a base to work the other samples around. I was trying to come up with something a bit more modern-sounding and, while I liked the RealStyle, none of the synth tracks quite worked for what I was going for. Although, to be fair, I'm not too sure how well I succeeded with making it a modern sounding song! I used JJP Vocals, Waves AudioTrack and Noveltech Vocal Enhancer on the vocals alongside pitch correction with Waves Tune. I used Waves Doubler on the backing vocals and Studio One Pro EQ and Room Reverb across all tracks.

_INIBIZA.STY. In Ibiza Tropical House A-B
RD: TROPICALHOUSE^01-a:QuarterKick, Melodic, b:QuarterKick, Percussion :Ed (Great Oz) Clare
** N/A ** RT2696: Bass, Synth, TropicalHouseA-B Ev 120 , Ed (Great Oz) Clare

Lyrics:
I was looking
For something to explore
I was looking
For someone like you

If I don't try
How I can I be sure
Being together
Is the right thing to do

So I'll roll the dice
On our love and hope
You are the
Only one for me

This time I hope for
More

Come with me
Let's take a chance on our destiny
Don't look back
Because our love together is where it's at

The last time
I thought I'd found her
My heart was
Broken in two

Now I'm here
And I'll never hurt you
But can I trust
That you will be true

When I look inside
I'm willing to risk it
To move forward
Just you and I

This time I hope for
More

Come with me
Don't look back

The last time
I thought I'd found her
My heart was
Broken in two

But I'll roll the dice
On our love and hope
That I have found
Someone who's true

This time I hope for
More

Come with me
Don't look back

Come with me
Don't look back

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Richard the sounds are fine - not cutting edge contemporary but not old.
Your lyrics are fine too.
Vocally you've produced a nasal & flat performance: the sort that was in vogue during Bronksi Beat's hit zone but I think you may a little too nasal & flat. The guitar seems to be playing against the key of the song occasionally.
A little tweaking should bring these up to scratch.
Perhaps you could find someone on the forum to collab with and get a vocal that really suits.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I always enjoy listening to your songs - you've got a very upbeat dance sensibility that comes through, and it's fun to listen.

It's nice to hear your vocals in a more "natural" form, instead of heavily processed and distorted.

And while it's bad form to complain about someone's vocals, in my defense for what follows, I'll say that rayc started it. wink

I could be wrong here, but I suspect that nasal sound comes from trying to sound like someone else, instead of sounding like yourself. If not... it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong!

In any event, I enjoyed the song, which is really the only important bit. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Thanks for your feedback rayc and David. You always give really useful feedback whether positive or constructive. I do appreciate the feedback on the vocals as I haven't sang for years (except for on karaoke) and I know they need to improve.

I think I may have used a bit too much eq in the midrange and accentuated the nasal sounds. In the performance I was trying to lose the bass-y sound in my voice (that's the only way I can explain it) which I don't think would suit this song and that might have produced that sound. I'll play about with the EQ later and see if that was causing the sound or it was mainly the performance of it.

Collaborating with other people would be great but I'm not too sure how to go about that.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
liked the feel of this and the theme/style, using too much of this or that is experimental and to be sure its what recording/song writing is all about.

There is no set standard and no set way to sing if there was.. well it would be pretty boring and dare I say it all the same..!¬!

Rod Stewart was once told his voice sounded too strained to make a recording artist so !!.

All the best.

Thanks

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Nicely done smile Really unique, and simultaneously catchy and also a bit of a head-scratcher. Whatever you did it worked tremendously well. Really innovative use of the RealTracks. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Thanks for the feedback and taking the time to listen.

I know I definitely need to work on my singing. But I do like the anecdote about Rod Stewart. I was always told that it's sometimes better to have a unique but average voice than a good one which isn't memorable. Although I still kinda wish I'd had these tools when I left college and had just had two years worth of singing lessons!

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
This has a really great groove and catchy melody!! Nicely done! Very clever and imaginative!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Richard,

This is great!

You've got a flair for the inventive and I really admire that.

Everything about your arrangement and production worked for me.

It's enthusiastic thumbs up from me!

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RichardB1985

I think I may have used a bit too much eq in the midrange and accentuated the nasal sounds. In the performance I was trying to lose the bass-y sound in my voice (that's the only way I can explain it) which I don't think would suit this song and that might have produced that sound. I'll play about with the EQ later and see if that was causing the sound or it was mainly the performance of it.

For future consideration step one would be to back away from the microphone - "proximity effect" is the enhancement of bass response due to closeness to the mic.
EQing vocals is difficult. Maybe consider the original "subtractive" approach 1st: that is to gently & slowly remove what offends rather than boost what doesn't. What mic are you using? That may have some significance as well.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Richard,
Interesting tune. Almost like a modern revival of early 90s, which seems popular these days. Sure worth further working on it. I read comments by Ray(rayc) and by David (dcuny). I agree on what they said. Here are 3 cents from me.

I took a couple of master classes with local Jazz singer about a year ago. She showed me how to hold the head right, how to breathe and what not to do....But the most valuable point she gave, and that is echoing David's point, is to try finding your inner voice. Something you are comfortable with. It is an ongoing challenge for me, but that tip was priceless.

Seems you are know your plugins. Try to find a demo of "Breath Controller" to suppress inhales / exhales. Of course you can do that manually, but plugin does save time. I believe vocals would sound cleaner.

and a final cent. Pop filter. Couple of weeks back, I posted this topic:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=555125#Post555125

I am a big fan of that thing smile

User Showcase
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
I do think I do need to look at a different mic. I'm using a Blue Snowball at the moment which I know isn't the best. I'm looking at investing in another one in the new year.

Thanks for that feedback Rustyspoon. I will keep working on it and I do need to work on my voice. I'm considering getting some lessons but I need to find a good singing teacher! I'll have a look at breath controller. I think I had the microphone a bit too close because I was using that same equipment (rayc linked me to your post, thanks for the recommendation!)

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Liked the groove - nice arrangement and production. Your song submissions are always a bit different than the norm and that is a good thing. Enjoyed the listen.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,585
Posts734,718
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197