Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Hi Forum friends. WOW!! 2020, and we lived to see it! I continue to be blown away by some of the wonderful stuff being posted here. This is at least the 3rd song written with this title. Years ago on the forum I said I might write a song with this title since I had a lot of memories about the place. Alyn James (Gibson) apparently liked the title too and wrote his version ahead of me. Brian Wilson, on a release a few years ago, had an instrumental with the title, apparently about the same place since he is also a Californian. Half Moon Bay is a beautiful stretch of coastline about 20 miles below San Francisco. This song is quite autobiographical. It was, and continues in my mind to be, a very magical place. Hope you enjoy it!
BTW, I did a 50 song release on CD Baby which came out on the first of Jan. The youtube link is for that..if you start a song, other songs will show up. It has songs you all have heard and others you have not yet. I'll continue to post them on the forum over time and on Soundcloud. If you have Itunes or Spotify, I'd love it if you could listen through those services. I'd like to get some listens and hopefully one day make it to a playlist. Self promotion is not my thing and I find it uncomfortable.

Take care all. Greg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PT3FBG5?tag=sa-b2c-new-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/greg-johnson-half-moon-bay-10-half-moon-bay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nerWBoig25A

Half Moon Bay

When I’m driving up on Skyline
And see that old, familiar hill
Sometimes I think of heading down there
But I know I never will
‘Cause I’m afraid of what I’d see there
The reality I’d find
I know it’d never match the image
Painted in my mind
Some wonders just reveal themselves
To the eyes of seventeen
Through the clouded lens of older years
The hills don’t look as green
As on those days
In Half Moon Bay

I remember Summer mornings
Heading over to the beach
No obstacle could hold us back
No star was out of reach
We were body surfing three-foot waves
We were riding grander schemes
And the music on the radio
Was the soundtrack of our dreams
“Taking it Easy” with the Eagles
Raspberries “Going all the Way”
And life was like a Summer fruit
Growing sweeter every day
As we made our way
To Half Moon Bay

Living in the moment
Taking chances just because
Truly being free
Before we knew what freedom was
Oh, there’s nothing quite as pretty
As a sunset on the coast
Pastel waters, that’s what I miss the most

When I’m driving up on Skyline
On a warm and sunny day
I’m 20 minutes from the ocean
I feel a million miles away
And I think about the simple life
That once that young man led
Many years before this tangled web
Was created in his head
And I’ll always hold a little place
In the corner of the screen
For the part of me that still can see
Through the eyes of seventeen
And find the way
To Half Moon Bay

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg
That was stunning. An instant classic.
Superb vocal, evocative lyrics and a lovely overall sound & production.

Excellent songwriting & performing.

(Saved the album(50tracks!)on Spotify.

Peter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert

AAAA

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hey Greg,
I'm new around here and just gave you song a listen.
Well done!

As a would be singer/song writer I envy your smooth vocals.

User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Greg,

Gorgeous lyrics--poetically perfect, the narrative precise and touching. And some brilliant lines, my personal favorite being "truly being free before we knew what freedom was". Wow! Your talent continues to amaze me.

Production wise, so stellar. For fine tuning, though, there are spots between lines when your intake of breath comes across pretty apparent on the mic, which makes the vocal a little less clean. An easy fix--I usually look to dampen the volume in between. Just something to thing about.

Killer tune, Greg. Really, a songwriter's pride and joy--well done!

Humble regards,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I cheated and read through the lyrics first - something I try not to do, but once I started I couldn't stop.

That's some mighty fine lyric writing.

And the song didn't disappoint. You've got a fantastic voice that brings longing for yesterday. The backing is excellent.

This is the sort of music I could only aspire to. Really fantastic.

But... I'll mention the fade seemed a bit abrupt, but perhaps only because I wanted to last longer. smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Oh my word! On listening to this, I did something I've never yet done on listening to a song on this forum: I actually cried. The music is stunning, it always is when you post a song on here, but - on this occasion, at least - the lyrics: my word.

Quote:
" ‘Cause I’m afraid of what I’d see there
The reality I’d find
I know it’d never match the image
Painted in my mind
To the eyes of seventeen
The hills don’t look as green "

" We were body surfing three-foot waves
We were riding grander schemes
And the music on the radio
Was the soundtrack of our dreams "

" And I think about the simple life
That once that young man led
Many years before this tangled web
Was created in his head "

There's no human being alive who can't relate to some of this, at least - one would have to have a heart of stone not to - and you articulate this so well, you bring it to life through your lyrics so vividly - it seems a shame to dissect it and analyse it. Suffice it to say: through your imagery, you have brought these experiences (that everyone can relate to) to life. I can almost taste the sea, hear the songs played on the radio, remember what it was like to be seventeen and supposedly carefree and know what it is to be looking back on that time. In short - well done ... another masterpiece from you. If I had your formula for creating magical songs, I'd either bottle it and sell it for an exorbitant price or hide it in my own cellar and only partake of it myself, haha. Anyway, superb job - well done.

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Greg,

Well I've been listening to music for 50 years now and this is one of the most beautiful, mesmerizing and blissfully magical songs I have ever heard. By anyone!!

As far as songwriting goes, this is as good as it gets. I truly can't imagine hearing a song as good as this anytime soon.
I just can't praise it enough. I actually love the breathy sound of your vocals, it brings an intimacy that matches the sublime melody and the hauntingly nostalgic and captivating lyric.

I'm a huge Eagles fan and I can hear their influence here, but this is all yours and every bit as good as anything they wrote.

I'm done. I'm gonna press play again and sit back and wallow in this piece of nostalgic gold. smile

Martin

Music is what feelings sound like.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lovely stuff.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful song, Greg!

You are without doubt one of the top songwriters on this forum, and man, your vocals are always just so good!

I would be happy to listen to your music over on spotify, I have an account (I also have our music up there) but you didn't provide a spotify link. I'll also subscribe to you over there, every little bit helps! Maybe update the song description with that info?

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Amazing work on this - a fantastic display of songwriting, and the mix and performance is top notch too. I wouldn't bat an eyelash hearing this on the radio. The lyrics are so poetic, and the entirely tune forces a feeling nostalgia on you.

Truly outstanding. Thanks so much for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
As an English teacher, I'll give you an A+ for your lyrics. I were a music teacher, I'd give you an A+ for your melody composition and vocal performance.

Heavenly beautiful song.

Parts of the lyric reminds me of my growing up on the Michigan shores of Lake Michigan.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg,

You know I am a BIG fan. This one song would explain why, and yet, you have a whole catalogue to back this up. You are the real deal.

I will quote what YOU wrote in my current thread:

Quote:

A GREAT WRITE!!!! I love deep, philosophical songs, and this is a great one!! A lyric that shines from the first word to the last!! This is my favorite, which I would describe as "brilliant", a word I hardly ever use:

To the eyes of seventeen
The hills don’t look as green

It does NOT get better that that!! A great song, a soulful delivery......a masterpiece!!! Take care. fj

I simply replaced the lyric and the signature...'cause RIGHT BACK AT YA, buddy. Even MORE so.

GORGEOUS lyric.
GORGEOUS melody.
GORGEOUS production. (What IS that piano????)
GORGEOUS vocal.

And I have to repeat...It does NOT get better that that!!

I know you are a Dianne Warren fan. She would be envious of this, I'm sure.

In a just world, this ONE song would make you a star.

fj

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Greg
That was stunning. An instant classic.
Superb vocal, evocative lyrics and a lovely overall sound & production.

Excellent songwriting & performing.

(Saved the album(50tracks!)on Spotify.

Peter

Thanks so much Peter!! Really appreciate such a wonderful review! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'm very impressed with your ability to write some really amazing lyrics.

And, you're not a slouch on the musical part or mixing either.

I loved the simplicity of the music in this. Piano was an excellent choice. Was this live or a RT?

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

GORGEOUS lyric.
GORGEOUS melody.
GORGEOUS production. (What IS that piano????)
GORGEOUS vocal.

And I have to repeat...It does NOT get better that that!!

I know you are a Dianne Warren fan. She would be envious of this, I'm sure.

In a just world, this ONE song would make you a star.

fj

I completely agree with Floyd. This is your best to date. Everything about this is air play ready and yes you should be a star.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
No disrespect to anyone else on this forum, but that's probably the best song I've encountered in the last 8 months. The beautiful simplicity of the chord progression, seamlessly flowing vocals and some of most poetic lyrics I've ever heard. Very, very impressed. Some savvy music producer needs to snap you up and present your work to the world. Can't wait to hear what else you share with us in 2020.

My music may not set the world on fire but if it causes a glow in just one person's heart, it has all been worthwhile smile
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Think this should be on page 1 for anybody who hasn't heard it yet.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg,
beautiful write. Very poetic.
Performance and production shine. Enjoyed this a lot.
Thank you for being here and sharing!

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Greg,

This a is really, really, really fine listen.

I love the wistful, nostalgic, and sadness-that-time-passes feelings that rolled over me as I listened. You are an amazing writer. You have pulled out all stops with this one, just like you do with all the others, and you've created a wonderful musical and lyrical journey.

Such strong writing and performing made it impossible for me to be critical. All I could do was listen and travel along with the images that passed through my mind.

Beautiful music.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,570
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199