Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi everyone,

I made a melancholic song about 'empty nest' feelings a couple suffers from. It is called That Morning: https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/that-morning

Some of us know what this is. I wrote it when I saw how my sister-in-law was bothered by this when her last child left the house. I fantasized about this situation and that's how the song was born (...).

The song starts with only a guitar, and a verse later another one. But slowly more instruments enter and the song becomes more intense. I hope you like it. It is a bit different than the latest songs I made lately and...it is no Blues-melody, but I used an accordion!

Hans
===================================================
The instruments
Style: PACIFIC.STY

RealTracks: ~2478:Bas, Acoustic Gel 110
RealTracks: 1006:Piano, Acoustic, Pop California Gel 85
RealTracks: ~365:Gitaar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Gel 85
RealTracks: 1752:Accordion, Gel 110
RealTracks: ~362:Gitaar, Acoustic, Rhythm Gel 85
RealTracks: 3063:Vocaal Aahs, Rhythm Pop Gel 85
RealDrums: SouthernPop16RnB^02-a:Hat, Sidestick, b:Ride, Snare
====================================================
The lyrics:
That morning
(c) HWBerkhout, 280620

I didn't notice, it crossed our way
Time altered our day
Children grow up, we helped them do
Not always easy, that's true

Then came that time, they don't need you
And they leave home too
Parent fears such event,
wishing it could be bend

It was that morning
When we woke up like before
We listened intensely
To the sounds that are no more

Peace came upon us
Resignation filled our day
I saw your eyes smiling
I knew then pain slipped away

The fun bustle left no trace
Silence took its place
Their empty rooms are all we've got
But memories fill the a lot

Oh, it was that morning
When we woke up with a smile
I closed my arms around you
And we laid there for a while

Peace came upon us
Your heartbeat I did feel
I cradled you so gently
While our feelings still heal

I haven't learned yet how life may go
but we have each other, we know
Getting older with a bond so strong
This is how we come along

Oh, it was that morning
When we woke up with a smile
I closed my arms around you
And we laid there for a while

Peace came upon us
While we nestled in our bed
I cradled you so gently
We laid there, nothing said

Yes, peace came upon us
While we nestled in our bed
I cradled you so gently
We laid there, nothing said

It's all we both wanted
Silence we now share
We conquered eternity
Only we were not aware

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

A nice song about a subject that many can relate to.

The build up of instruments is nicely done. And your vocal has a lot of passion.

The guitar is just slightly too loud in comparison to your vocal. When the accordion joins, it is too. They both "draw attention to themselves" instead of being "supportive". (They are well balanced to each other). The bass is a at a good level when it joins (compared to the other instruments). Cool aahs, too...

During the chorus, the vocal gets lifted to a good level.

All in all, a good mix (but the early vocal needs a slight bump).

Good stuff.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Hans, I really love this.

Incredible arrangement. Classy. Very, very well done sir.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lovely song Hans. This a song I can relate with. Was a sad day when our son made his way out into the world and we knew he was not coming home to stay again. Now he has two grown daughters that may soon be vacating the nest. Beautiful vocal and lyric. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hans,
Good write! Major subject well delivered. I like how the mood changes on second half. Mix is clear, but I think vocals could come up a bit. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We like the lyric, the band, the build and your vocal.
Everything!

While we never had children we've seen family and friends
express the sentiments you so well described.

Excellent!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,
I like the inspiration for the lyrics and happy/sad way you explore it with that focus on waking up to a very different house.
The accordion works to keep the feeling light; there`s something in the song that reminds me of Cat Stevens ( who also had a light touch with big subjects).
(With a little bump on vocals), this stands as one of your best!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans,

A nice song about a subject that many can relate to.
The build up of instruments is nicely done. And your vocal has a lot of passion.
The guitar is just slightly too loud in comparison to your vocal. When the accordion joins, it is too. They both "draw attention to themselves" instead of being "supportive". (They are well balanced to each other). The bass is a at a good level when it joins (compared to the other instruments). Cool aahs, too...
During the chorus, the vocal gets lifted to a good level.
All in all, a good mix (but the early vocal needs a slight bump).

Good stuff.
fj

Hi Floyd, thanks for your constructive criticism! I appreciate this very much. It makes me get my mixes better all the time.
It was a bit funny, because at first I had my song mixed somewhat in the way you advised me too. I changed that then, because I thought the voice was too loud. But now I followed your advise, including the guitar and accordion and have to admit you are right! The new version is uploaded to SC.

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hans, I really love this.

Incredible arrangement. Classy. Very, very well done sir.

Hello David, thanks very much. I feel very honored, especially because of that 'sir'!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Lovely song Hans. This a song I can relate with. Was a sad day when our son made his way out into the world and we knew he was not coming home to stay again. Now he has two grown daughters that may soon be vacating the nest. Beautiful vocal and lyric. Well done

Hey Scott, thanks for your nice comment and compliment! And indeed, now your son will experience what you and your wife have felt, back then. My wife became emotional again when listening to my song. For me that felt as some kind of victory, because she never had that on my other songs...

So thank you all for listening,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very nice Hans...I think you succeeded with the concept of building up the intensity.
I liked the little stop that you used before the chorus.
Your voice multiples worked out great.
And the way you ended it.
I really enjoyed it and got some good ideas from listening.

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Nice song Hans!! My kids are in HS and I'm dreading the empty nest.....love having them around!! I like the arrangement and the vocal, but the highs on the vocal could probably be trimmed a bit....I tend to do the same thing. Enjoyed it!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Hans,
Good write! Major subject well delivered. I like how the mood changes on second half. Mix is clear, but I think vocals could come up a bit. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Hi Misha, thanks for your compliments. You are right about the vocals. I had them louder at first, but than changed it. I changed the song 2 times after that. First the vocals in the first part (and the fp-guitar and accorion), today I added two track of violins which differ from each other. It was some work to get that right, but the result is a nice violin harmony. although, that's what I think.

And you know what? Someone told me yesterday I was second on the songwriterschart from SoundCloud. Today I was nr. 1! I think within some hours I will be very famous (and rich). Try beating me, Misha!!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We like the lyric, the band, the build and your vocal.
Everything!
While we never had children we've seen family and friends
express the sentiments you so well described.
Excellent!
J&B

Hi J&B, I think it is how we deal with the loss of a loved one of dear situation. And I am a bit tenderhearted sometimes. Especially with my animals. Don't you?
But thanks for the nice words and your support on all my songs!

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Hans,
I like the inspiration for the lyrics and happy/sad way you explore it with that focus on waking up to a very different house.
The accordion works to keep the feeling light; there`s something in the song that reminds me of Cat Stevens ( who also had a light touch with big subjects).
(With a little bump on vocals), this stands as one of your best!

Robert

Hi Robert, the light bump on the vocals is done some days ago, but also some violins are added. I did that today. I was a littlebit nervous if it would work out well, so I'm checking it on all different musicplayers. At first the vocals got too sharp (read what Greg wrote about that). changed that too. And your association about this song (a bit) with Cat Stevens now hangs on a banner in my studio. Thanks for your nice comment!

Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Very nice Hans...I think you succeeded with the concept of building up the intensity.
I liked the little stop that you used before the chorus.
Your voice multiples worked out great.
And the way you ended it.
I really enjoyed it and got some good ideas from listening.

Hello Tano, today I added violins in the song as well! I hope you like it too (if you can get yourself together listening to this song again). I hope to hear from you what kind of ideas it brought you. You have noticed I am not stuck to one particulair style. Maybe you can try something different too, Hip Hop? Thanks for your nice words!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Nice song Hans!! My kids are in HS and I'm dreading the empty nest.....love having them around!! I like the arrangement and the vocal, but the highs on the vocal could probably be trimmed a bit....I tend to do the same thing. Enjoyed it!! Take care. Greg

Hey Greg, lucky man you are! But time goes faster then we think. So later, you play this song on your player, and help your wife getting through these times. But before you do, I listened to your comment and did something about the sibilance. And I also added some violins.
I think you'll be satisfied by now. Let me know if you're not!

Thank you all for your kind remarks and stay safe (again),
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I liked everything about this. You have touched many with those lyrics; very well done. A strong vocal and excellent mix. I really liked your dynamics.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Mario,

Thanks a lot for your comment. I had to change the mix 3 times though. 2 times because of my voice was too soft, then too harsh and the last one because I wanted a violin ensemble in it. I was afraid it would do more harm than good to the song, but you had no complains, so I'm on the right track I suppose ;-)

Have a nice jamming day!
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds good to me, Hans!

I read all the comments, seems I got here after you had already tweaked the mix.

Lovely song, I wouldn't change a thing.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans

Very nice in all respects, excellent build and backing, nice vocal and lyric.

Well done.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Dave and Peter,

Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate them very much.
Even more, because I have that feeling these kind of songs are not your favorite.
I had hoped you would give me your opinion on the string ensembles (I added later).
Were they nice or did they destract? Something like that...

But I have some news! I am working on a bluessong now. That is more your cup of thea, I believe.
And judge me strict on that one. I will do the same (if there is a reason to) ;-)

Stay safe overthere,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The chorus is very sweet with a Harry Nilsson lilt and melody.
It's sweet rather than melancholic...the empty nest feeling is less evident these days I hear.
Nice work...love the chorus.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans, this has been beautifully put together! The song is very good and you have done a great job with the vocals...I like the heavier vocal reverb on this! It suits the mood of the song well IMO! Another very good one from you! Thanks, T

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice build up, I like especially the use of the accordion - it fits the melancholy mood very well. The melody is beautiful and has nice drowsy feeling of a morning - thus very appropriate title for the song. Touching story also, I like the variations in the chorus, although the downside is that the "hook" is less memorable.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
The chorus is very sweet with a Harry Nilsson lilt and melody.
It's sweet rather than melancholic...the empty nest feeling is less evident these days I hear.
Nice work...love the chorus.

Hi Ray, I know up close that empty nest feelings are still 'hot' (in the Netherlands?). But I can live with you qualification of course ;-). As long as people like it. I wrote it after I saw my sister in law struggling with this issue when her last child left the house.
But i'm not sure she listened to the song. The lyrics were 'heavy' enough.

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Hans, this has been beautifully put together! The song is very good and you have done a great job with the vocals...I like the heavier vocal reverb on this! It suits the mood of the song well IMO! Another very good one from you! Thanks, T

Torrey, thanks! You said this very nice. Indeed, the vocals took some time! There were several cases the mixing of the song was ready and the mastering had to start, when I became dissatisfied about the singing of it all and had to do everything over again. I almost hated the song by then.

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very nice build up, I like especially the use of the accordion - it fits the melancholy mood very well. The melody is beautiful and has nice drowsy feeling of a morning - thus very appropriate title for the song. Touching story also, I like the variations in the chorus, although the downside is that the "hook" is less memorable.

Janne

Hi Janne, thanks for your words. And about your last line, that is true. The second part of the song (after the yell) had to stay connected to the first part. That was a challenge.

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199