Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
MY FIRST

This is just a very simple little something I threw together and recorded last weekend on my new keyboard (hence the title), initially for the purpose of giving my online friends some idea what it sounds like "straight from the cow" (as the icelandic expression goes). So this is all done/played/recorded straight to audio in one take from start to finish.
But then I thought, maybe this wasn't all that bad for further sharing, so I needed to add something from my BBox to that recording for the sake of eligibility of the submission here. And that accounts for the two instruments listed below - Enjoy!

Formalities:

My first.MGU
Key=D, Tempo=95, Length (m:s)=3:29
Style: -BOSA_60.STY
MIDI Instruments: Acoustic Piano (1),
RealTracks: 3267:Cello, Background CelticAirFlowingNatalie Ev 085

EDIT: Now on Youtube for those who prefer HERE

Last edited by Icelander; 07/31/20 09:55 AM. Reason: Correcting mistakes

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That is one sweet sounding keyboard you have there.

I really the rhythm section. Your playing is excellent. The mix was spot on.

I really liked this.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
That is one sweet sounding keyboard you have there.
Oh, thanks, man! I'm still very much finding my ways on this thing but from what I gather it's supposed to be able to sound even better... I just haven't got the hang of that bit yet wink

I really the rhythm section.
That makes two of us, then, it's all built-in though so I can't take any credit there. This particular drum style actually reminds me a lot of some of the BossaTerry stuff on BBox, so 'obviously' I fell for it right away.
Your playing is excellent.
Really?? I can't be the judge of that, but as this was a "from start to finish" recording, I will tell you that, even with the very simplistic melody & chords, this took a LOT of retakes - and I still ended up with mistakes left in! crazy
The mix was spot on.
All straight out of the machine.. well, 98% because I had added two more instruments which needed to blend in rather than stick out, so ok... maybe I can take that tiny bit of credit there.

Thanks again for the very encouraging feedback..

I really liked this.
And that, my friend, is the important part smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent song. Playing ones song in one take is a very difficult task. Well done.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Excellent song. Playing ones song in one take is a very difficult task.
Indeed, and somehow more stressful the further you get into the song, or so I've just discovered (most of the ruined takes got messed up towards the latter half).
I suppose that's the main reason I went for something so (seemingly) simplistic in terms of construction & chords compared to my usual BBox songs on here. I mean, I don't recall a song of mine with only 4-5 chords like this one in a long while now, since from before my BBox years I'm sure. So I did try "thicken" them a bit once I got to adding the BBox parts of this version, just to make it sound a bit less bareboned. But still you could easily do with just 4 chords here, and I'm sure most of you could pick up the lot by ear in just a few minutes, chords & melody.

Anyway, thanks for the positive feedback (including your 'extra mile' SC comments), much obliged as always cool

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That's really nice- full cream from the udder.
Bravo on the one take run.
There's a piano or something lurking underneath and near the centre of the stereo image that occasionally seems a little off tempo or key. It's buried but when the wider panned piano is in evidence hey clash a little.
No prob as it reinforces the "one take" nature of things.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Eddie, My man from Iceland!! Good to see you here! Nice little tune!! Enjoyed! Good selection of accompanying tracks too!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Oh Eddie, this is delightful. Very endearing melody. Sounds almost Celtic. Flute really suits it too. Well done

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Excellent song. Playing ones song in one take is a very difficult task. Well done.

Scott it's even worse trying to video yourself

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
That's really nice- full cream from the udder.
Now, there's taking a metaphor and really run with it! laugh
====
Originally Posted By: rayc
There's a piano or something lurking underneath and near the centre of the stereo image....
Yes, that'll be my aforementioned "thickening" attempts that were supposed to add a bit more flavour to the chords... which, by the sound of what followed in your observation there, didn't quite come off as intended. Oh well, can't win 'em all, I suppose.

Thanks for the listen & feedback cool

p.s. Sorry I didn't do another "push the envelope" piece for you after your encouragements on my last one to do so... but hey, doing that twice in a row would be rather unoriginal in itself, innit? wink

Last edited by Icelander; 08/05/20 03:33 AM. Reason: Correcting mistakes

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: furry
Oh Eddie, this is delightful. Very endearing melody. Sounds almost Celtic. Flute really suits it too. Well done
Thanks... I fell for that flute pretty hard too, btw smile

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Eddie, My man from Iceland!! Good to see you here! Nice little tune!! Enjoyed! Good selection of accompanying tracks too!! Take care. Greg
Thanks for yet another of your very enthusiastic responses, glad you enjoyed the listen cool

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

Very nice little tune!
It has a very beautiful melody.
And I feel nostalgic somewhere.

When I was wondering what was causing it, I remembered one song.
It is Shostakovich's second waltz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vauo4o-ExoY

I found out that if the opening melody of the waltz written in minor was changed into major, it became this melody.
Was this done consciously?
I sometimes consciously use classical melodies in my songs.
So, I wanted to ask you about that. (Please forgive me. I know I am rude.)

And, of course, despite that, I think this song is great.
I really like this tune.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Eddie,
===I feel nostalgic somewhere.
When I was wondering what was causing it, I remembered one song.
It is Shostakovich's second waltz. I found out that if the opening melody of the waltz written in minor was changed into major, it became this melody.
Was this done consciously?
That is an absolutely brilliant discovery, Adachi-san and I almost wished I had thought of it! But no, I'm afraid I'm not that clever crazy
I also had that "I'm sure I've heard this before" feeling when I was making this cliched little piece (there's very little originality in it and I readily admit that), but it wasn't any sort of conscious allusion or deliberate reference, just purely coincidental. I'm glad you still enjoyed the listen, and I thank you for your positive comments.

p.s. I don't think you could be "rude" even if you tried! laugh

Last edited by Icelander; 08/05/20 01:31 PM. Reason: Correcting mistakes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199