Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I created this, this morning, as an homage to the incomparable Joni Mitchell. I have agonised over the mix, and would be happy for any suggestions to improve it - I am at my wits' end with it. All comments (about the mix and anything else to do with the song) very welcome - thanks for listening!

https://audiomack.com/jamesdelsono/song/joni-mitchell

JONI MITCHELL

When Joni Mitchell writes a song
It seems that nothing, nothing can go wrong
I'd sit and listen all day long
When Joni Mitchell writes a song.

When Joni Mitchell sings a melody,
I feel she sings just to you and me
When Joni Mitchell bares her soul,
I feel that I'm no longer so alone.

I only just have heard her, my first time, yesterday;
And therefore I wonder ... have you heard her, I pray?
I hope that you can tell me the way she makes you feel,
For me, the way she sings just makes it a little bit more real.

It's coming on Christmas, they've cut down the trees,
But her stunning music has moved mountains and seas;
And if you have found, at last, the river of your dreams,
I hope you'll let me listen ... and skate, perhaps, with me.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: 8 December 2021 - B
File:8 December 2021 - B.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 60, Length (m:s)=3:04
No intro. 42 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 42. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _DONT_GO.STY (Don't Go Vintage 12-8 Pop Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 2938:Bass, Fretless Electric Slow12-8Rene Sw 065
RealTracks in style: ~2052:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Sw 065
RealTracks in style: 3884:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm VintagePopArpSlow128 Sw 060
RealTracks in style: 3778:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm VintagePopArpSlow128 Sw 060
RealDrums [in style:AmericanaSlow128^01-a:Kick Sidestick, b:Kick Snare

Mixed, with various effects, in Mixcraft Pro Studio 9.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
James,

A clever "tribute". (I'm a huge JM fan, too)

There is a good deal of sibliance to the vocal and (for my tastes) too much reverb (makes it a bit hard to catch the lyrics at first - but it's okay once your ears adjust).

When you sing "Joni Mitchell" (each time), you rush a bit to get all the syllables in. I think the song would be effective if you simply sang "Joni" (no Mitchell). Most listeners will know the reference, it would add a touch of "mystery" and it would sing much better.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wonderful, James. Quite a beautiful tribute. I, too, am a big Joni fan. At 18 I found myself homeless for awhile, and only had a stereo and 6 albums --3 were hers because that's all she had then (I also had a bass). As for the mix, I couldn't agree more with Floyd. As soon as you start singing, the sibilance starts, and it probably is because of the added reverb. Still, it doesn't detract from your marvelous singing/speaking voice, and the lyrics are delivered with clarity despite the occasional sibilant distractions. I particularly like the bg humming, and think it adds a special touch. I also think that Floyd was right in dropping the Mitchell. BiaB has a pretty good Joni STY, but I like this tribute that doesn't attempt to imitate her.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like the song just as it is with whatever issues it may have.

Joni is one of those people I will never forget. That is a function of the times when I listen to her.

Sometimes the "message" is much more important than the endless search for a better "mix".

Good stuff,

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi James,

well, that's a very fine tribute to a truely great musician and writer. Haven't listened to my old JM LPs, not CDs) for many years, and now I think it's about time to dive into the shelf.

Thanks for very nice lyrics and a lot of unusual chord progressions.

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
floyd: thank you so much. As you know, sometimes one (at least, I) can get really bogged down in a song, if I've worked on it for too long, and can't see the wood for the trees any longer. So thank you for your perspective on it ... I will work on it at the weekend, I think (sadly, no time before then ... argh).

Marty: thanks so much. Kind, as always. I've added far too much reverb, both on the spoken track as well as on the hummed track - so perhaps that's why the sibilance is there, as you say. I remember a certain singer rehearsing with his band, when the piano player made a major error. He profusely apologised to the singer, and the singer just said: "No worries ... that's why we have rehearsal". That stuck with me ... so, basically, that's why we have this board, thankfully ... to bounce ideas off one another and hopefully improve the "end product" (I hate that phrase, haha). So: THANKS for helping me along! :-)

Billy: thank you. I want to keep a certain bit of "human error" in the song, i.e. an audible breath here and there, but perhaps it still needs some work, so that it's not TOO much? haha. Regardless, thank you for your amazing words - and yes, I agree with you ... sometimes, just sometimes, the message is so much more important than (as you say) the endless search for a better mix.

Thanks, all :-)

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Stefan: thank you. It's kinda scary to write a tribute to such an incredible artist ... it can easily go wrong, so I'm so glad to hear so much positive feedback. Thank you for your kind words!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Fitting tribute to a great artist and an honest song creator. Joni always seemed to have something in the tank as she spun her musical tales until, viola, she sprung it on the listener. She must have has a complex personality.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome tribute James. I am too a fan of her music. Excellent vocal and backtrack. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice tribute!

River is an astonishingly good song.

Your song's pretty good too! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A super tribute!

However I agree with Floyd:

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
James,

There is a good deal of sibliance to the vocal and (for my tastes) too much reverb (makes it a bit hard to catch the lyrics at first - but it's okay once your ears adjust).

When you sing "Joni Mitchell" (each time), you rush a bit to get all the syllables in. I think the song would be effective if you simply sang "Joni" (no Mitchell). Most listeners will know the reference, it would add a touch of "mystery" and it would sing much better.

fj

Clean up that vocal and you will have a winner for sure.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A fine tribute, I enjoyed it. Any imperfections are trivial (to my ear). I guess you know she just got honored at the Kennedy Center here in Washington DC.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
James,

You've gotten a lot of great feedback so far, and I have nothing more to add in that regard. But wanted to note a lovely inspiration for a song, and you've done Joni proud. Well done!

All my best,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello James ...

what a great tribute song! To me, it sounds fine as is. It has the Delsano sound that I enjoy so much. You have a distinctive style that I enjoy and appreciate. You have way with words that I see as a well-thought-out casual easiness to it. I don't know if that makes any sense. Simply it sounds so extemporaneous yet comes across as a prepared presentation.

Regardless, I always enjoy what you have to offer. I like this a lot - a whole lot!

Take care, my friend.

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
James,
yes, you've slipped back into old habits with the vocals.
take a break, rest and then get back to it - you know how to deal with those issues.
Interesting lyric and tribute. The humming tells me you could sing this mate...you ought to.
As to Ms Mitchell I'm probably alone in REALLY not liking her.
I appreciate her talent and the absolute fanaticism of her admirers but she leaves me cold.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Another very interesting write.

About the mix:
- The humming in the background is a little overpowering.
My thoughts.......apply a low cut EQ and perhaps cut around 500hz to reduce the muddiness.
Maybe try some female Oohs & Aahs

-The spoken word is a bit washed out by reverb.
Here again I'd tweak the EQ in the low end and mids to brighten it up just a tad and back off the reverb a little.
Maybe add a little boost in the upper end to add some presence.

Hey, what the hell do I know, just throwing stuff against the wall.

moto

Last edited by CaptainMoto; 12/10/21 03:17 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice tribute James....

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi James,

The song itself is very nice.
But as you asked for some advice:
There's a bit too much reverb and sometimes one can hear you swallow. May be you can remove that.
And using a de-esser might help too.

But the song is a very nice tribute!

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Fitting tribute to a great artist and an honest song creator. Joni always seemed to have something in the tank as she spun her musical tales until, viola, she sprung it on the listener. She must have has a complex personality.

Yes! Complex personality or not, I feel it reflects incredibly on her songwriting, and that's what matters, right? Thanks for your kind words!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Awesome tribute James. I am too a fan of her music. Excellent vocal and backtrack. Well done

Thanks, Scott!!!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nice tribute!

River is an astonishingly good song.

Your song's pretty good too! laugh

Haha. Thanks for your comments on my other two songs, too ... didn't get a chance to reply. You're right "Dance by the Fire" needs work!!! Thanks for being honest and pointing it out :-)

Originally Posted By: MarioD
A super tribute!

However I agree with Floyd:

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
James,

fj

Clean up that vocal and you will have a winner for sure.

Thanks Mario!!! I'll be on it as soon as I get some time!

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
A fine tribute, I enjoyed it. Any imperfections are trivial (to my ear). I guess you know she just got honored at the Kennedy Center here in Washington DC.

I didn't know that - didn't make the news here in the UK - thanks for letting me know! Thanks for your kind comments about the song, too!

Originally Posted By: Deej56
James,

You've gotten a lot of great feedback so far, and I have nothing more to add in that regard. But wanted to note a lovely inspiration for a song, and you've done Joni proud. Well done!

All my best,

Deej

Thank you!!!

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello James ...

what a great tribute song! To me, it sounds fine as is. It has the Delsano sound that I enjoy so much. You have a distinctive style that I enjoy and appreciate. You have way with words that I see as a well-thought-out casual easiness to it. I don't know if that makes any sense. Simply it sounds so extemporaneous yet comes across as a prepared presentation.

Regardless, I always enjoy what you have to offer. I like this a lot - a whole lot!

Take care, my friend.

Alan

Thanks so much, Alan. Wishing you all the very best, as always!

Originally Posted By: rayc
James,
yes, you've slipped back into old habits with the vocals.
take a break, rest and then get back to it - you know how to deal with those issues.
Interesting lyric and tribute. The humming tells me you could sing this mate...you ought to.
As to Ms Mitchell I'm probably alone in REALLY not liking her.
I appreciate her talent and the absolute fanaticism of her admirers but she leaves me cold.

We all have different tastes, no worries, of course :-) Yes, I'll deal with the song as soon as I get a chance to breathe! haha. Thanks :-)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,552
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199