User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Hi, all:

Having finished my first new song of the year, and with nothing else new forthcoming, I decided to dive back into a few older songs, and give them a redo. I’m hoping one or two of them can pan out as potential tracks for a new “vanity” album, at some point.

“Prayer To The World” was done almost 5 years ago, and I believe it was the fourth song I ever did using BIAB. I lost the original BIAB file . . . and while I still had the Logic Pro file, I wanted to revisit some of the instrumentation and potentially make some changes. So, I recreated it. Ultimately, I changed out the drums, subbed the dreamy electric fill track for the original fiddle track, and went to a less busy acoustic guitar (though I’m still debating whether to drop it altogether from the mix).

But the biggest reason for re-doing this was the vocal. Some folks here may recall that the vocals on my early (and not so early) efforts, were often a bit high end, and didn’t always sit well in the mix. Such was the case, IMO, with the original version of the song. I’d like to think I’ve gotten better over the years . . . and hopefully was more successful on this take (though I’m still not sure it’s where it needs to be).

I’m not going to link to the prior version, as I’m not so much looking for feedback on the difference, but rather how this one stands on its own. That said, I have not yet taken it down from my SoundCloud page for those that might be curious.

Thanks in advance for the listens and feedback. I'm guessing the mix may still need some work, so have at it!

My best to you all,

Deej

Here’s the song:

PRAYER TO THE WORLD

Here are the lyrics:

We keep moving sideways
Down all these highways
Searching for someplace to be
Through all our travels
We’ve been scarred by our battles
Maybe it’s time we made our peace

We’ve got to open our arms
To the light of the living
Or let what’s dying die
Don’t be alarmed by
By our doubts and our misgivings
It’s so easy, love, to never try

We’ve gotta set our sights
On the light shining over
All these mad things we do
You say you’ve got your demons
Well, I’ve got demons too

Say a prayer to the world
There’s a chance for forgiveness
A prayer to the world
There’s some light still within us
A prayer to the world
There’s still hope of love for me and you

We drove through the tension
While every sense of connection
Just scattered like leaves in the wind
We found comfort in strangers
Well aware of the danger
Of losing ourselves in the end

We’ve got to open our eyes
To the price of commitment
And make a choice to choose
Don’t be surprised by the
Strength of our resistance to it
It’s harder, love, to win than lose

We’ve got to set our sights
on the light shining over
all these mad things we do
You say you’ve got your reasons
Well, I’ve got reasons too

Let’s walk on out
From this weight on our shoulders
Let’s figure out
How a good love can bloom

And here’s the band:

RealTracks 2915: Bass, Electric CountryPopByron12-key
RealTracks 2825: Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryPopMike12-key
RealTracks 2883: Pedal Steel, Background CountryEddy12-key
RealTracks 1761: Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Pop16ths
RealTracks 2650: Guitar, Electric, Background DreamyPopBalladFillsBrent
RealDrums: NashvilleEven8^1

Last edited by Deej56; 01/27/23 11:04 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej, you produced the original before I heard of BiaB and so I never heard it. But I can say this version is top shelf. You did a strong write lyrically and your vocals are top notch.

Well done and looking forward to more smile

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi DeeJ
Very nice song
I don't know the original version but this version sounds really good
Is of course perfect for your voice
Really very well done
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I don't know the original version, but I think a cleaner arrangement and less busy guitar are good for the song, I like this new version a lot because it makes the vocals (which are very good) the center of attention.

Mix is solid but has not much bottom end. I'd make the bass louder and give the bass drum some EQ love.

Making bits and bytes sound good...

Goldmania Bella - A One-Man Girlband with no fans
Listen on Spotify
Watch on YouTube
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hi, Deej. I don't care to hear the original because this is SO good. It's odd to hear you talk about your vocal as if it's not (what I believe) one of the best vocal sounds I ever heard. The fact that you say it wasn't so good the first round, I am tempted to give the original a listen, but this is so good I'll listen to this one again.

This song is so good. Everything in the mix sits snuggly in my ears. I tried very hard to come up with some sage advice about making it better, but it cannot be improved. The piano is so strong driving the track, and the pedal steel is sucha fine subtle touch, the guitars make all the right statements, but the star is that vocal and the lyrics.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Deej...as usual this is an exceptional song...your vocals are without a doubt unique and one of my favorites around here...I love the track and whatever changes you've made to it...but my most favorite part of this song (as it is with many of your songs) is the lyrics...you have a singular way of expressing yourself in song and I appreciate it...that being said my only question is about a central line in it..."Say a prayer to the world"...I'm not sure I understand what that line means...If it were "Say a prayer for the world" (meaning the world that causes all the confusion) or "Say a prayer for our world" (meaning the world of the principle character and his/her lover) I'd get it...it's probably just the cloud in my head smile still a great song with or without me understanding the meaning of the line...I always look forward to hearing your songs!

www.soundclick.com/firesong
BiaB 2023, Steinberg Cubase Pro 12, Wavelab 11.1, SpetraLayers Pro 10, Audacity, UR44 Interface, Yamaha Genos, Roland FP60 and FP10, Windows 10

You are who you are because you do what you do because of what you believe.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Along with "If You Stay", this is my favourite early Deej song. I remember the original :-)

How do you improve on perfect? You've just done it. And no, I'm not going overboard. This is one of the very best songs I've ever heard on this board. This version is of a more mature Deej voice, at least to my ears. The voice sounds more worn, more wise, more wry. It's also more rounded, more ... well, wow.

I don't know how you do it, but this, for me, is vintage Deej. This is what it's about. It doesn't get any better.

And no, I'm not going into specifics - such as the amazing new guitar accompaniment, the new turns in the vocal melody, the "rounder" sound, etc. etc. etc. . What would be the point? THIS. IS. A. CLASSIC. Full stop :-)

I am, quite honestly, in awe. This, "If You Stay", "I've Got The Moon", "Fifteen Feet", "Paper Dreams", "Why Do You Break My Heart", "Nowhere Else To Go", "All Measure Of Control" and many other Deej songs could easily, easily be No. 1s in any music chart worthy of its name. And this, for me, is where it all started. Long may we be blessed to hear more from you. BRAVO!!!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey this is a really good song DJ.

Excellent lyrics.

The vocals are really nice man.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Deej, man this is some great writing. I didn't listen to the first version so that I could let this one stand alone as you requested. I think it is a very, very good song. I have to be hyper-critical to come up with anything. I think the vocal is just a little bit dry, but I really like it and don't think I'd change anything. I think Musician17 got it right, the vocal sounds worn, wise and mature - fits the song well. As mentioned, I think the writing is terrific. You have a very original way of describing things in your songs that really make them stand out. That being said, I agree with Dan. I don't really follow the "prayer to the world" line, and it's the only place in the vocal that sounds a bit rushed to me. I'm also with Marty on the piano - that came out very well. If it were me, I'd bring the volume of the steel up a little. It doesn't balance well with the lead guitar to my ears. You have to consider however, that I think I have a strong tendency to over-do the steel guitar. Also remember that I'm being hyper-critical, and I think you're better at putting this stuff together than I am, so I could be completely wrong. I really think it's a great song - honest!

Brad

User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Bass Thumper, Andi, B.D., Marty, firesong, James, David, and Brad:

Thanks much for taking the time to listen and for the great comments! A few responses on the specific suggestions and questions.

B.D.: Great suggestions. I will raise the volume of the bass—for some reason I decided to lower it at some point, but I can bring it back up easily enough. I’ll see what I can do on the drums, but they are always a bit of challenge for me.

Firesong and Brad re “Prayer to the world”: It’s a fair question, as it’s a somewhat atypical phrasing. I generally shy away from discussing the intent of a lyric because I can only respond by saying what it means to me . . . which may not resonate with you or other listeners.

But before I get there, I’d start by noting that I didn't want to use “Prayer for the world”. While I’m aware the song could be read more broadly, at its heart it is meant to be a song about a damaged relationship and the strength and commitment that’s needed to rekindle a dying love. It is a plea from one lover to the other (and in a way, is a prayer in itself). So to say, “for the world” takes the focus off that relationship and confuses the listener about the intent of the song (i.e., that it is more about the condition or plight of the world than their relationship). “For our world” could work (though not melodically), but I’d still have the same concern.

For better or worse, what I think I mean by it is this: a prayer, to me, is a private thing. To share that prayer, to say it publicly, to the world, is to display and demonstrate your faith to all. In this case, "a prayer to the world" is a prayer for all the world to hear . . . demonstrating to all the singer's hope for forgiveness and renewed love. Whether that works for some or all, I don't know. But it's what's intended, and regardless I would hope the song's message resonates nonetheless.

Brad: I think you may be right about the steel. I toyed with racing the volume a bit more, but if I do (and I probably will), I think I’ll need to do it selectively so as to minimize any clashing with the dreamy guitar runs. On the rushed vocal, in hindsight, I maybe should have added an extra beat or two in that break before “Say a prayer to the world” which might have then seemed less rushed . . . not sure though that I’ll try to tackle that at this point.

Last edited by Deej56; 01/29/23 09:47 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

It's always rewarding to go back and give an older song the treatment you feel it deserved! I never heard the original version but you really gave this a great vocal! The message is spot on! Love the guitar solo and fills, they really suppliment the song very well! Very nice song!

Thanks, T

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej

Lovely song, the band sounds very good, nice and complimentary.

Superb passionate vocal and a nice melody.

Excellent work all round.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

Everything about this is excellent
A solid write
A beautiful track- terrific instrumentation
Bass and drums are killer
Gorgeous vocals. Your recording technique there has improved dramatically

Pro sounding in every regard

Fj

User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Torrey, Peter and Floyd:

Thanks much for the listen and comments. Floyd, regarding the vocal recording, your guidance over the years has certainly helped my progression, so thanks for that!

My best to you all,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Deej,

I don't recall the original, but mix wise I would say you nailed it this time around. I'm the same, I've learned a lot about mixing and production during my time on this forum, and like you, a lot came from Floyd.

Excellent song too of course, one of your best.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Any decent vehicle for your voice is a winner. This is a great vehicle so even better.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

This is really good.
The music is great, the piano and guitar are fine.
But on top of it all there is your great vocal!
Wonderful song!

Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
DJ, I don't remember the original version so I can't compare the two.
However this version is top shelf all the way.
A great backing band supporting an outstanding vocal - excellent job on that!
Super lyrics also.
I wouldn't change a thing on this one.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Deej,

I can't recall this song too, however I'm on BiaB forum from 2016. But once in a while. I had to learn working with that program and all other stuff.
But this song immediatly made me remember all the songs I heard from you. So good and sensitive.
That is is you on your very best! Love to hear when you sing these kind of songs. Just great!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej, Nicely produced. What a good write to go along with a vocal that just slays! Loved it, Tom

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195