Ok its been a while in the making due to personal circumstances but I have now finished work on 11 new tracks and am in the mixing mastering stage.

This time around I wanted to use Band in A Box to see what I could get out of it and do things differently to my normal way of working.

As you may know I am a sax player but haven't played for the past 3 years properly and my playing is now somewhat low par, so i have been messing around with wind controllers of late. But this time I wanted to make a proper smooth jazz sax lead album and the synth saxes even the Sax brothers were not cutting it for me. So i decided to try something a little different.

Work flow was thus:

I created the chord structure in ez-keys to get the basis of the song outlined, I then exported to midi file and pulled that into BIAB. I had in mind the style of the song so auditioned a few styles till I found what I was looking for - I didn't want typical smooth jazz as wanted the song to be more rock based.

After getting the style tweaked I set about "creating" the sax melody. This was created by using the real track sax soloists and creating multiple takes of the solo (sometimes 12-15). The remaining real tracks and solo takes was exported as wav files and brought into Logic ProX.

Inside Logic I kept the real drums but added on top the great drummer track feature from logic and mixed the two together to get a more powerful and interesting drum sound. the solo tracks where staked and I made a composite track from parts of each take duplicating shifting an clipping to make a more melody than solo feel.

Track was then mixed, in logic mastered in ozone as I would normally.

And here are the results of the first finished track: Believe

The remaining 10 tracks are created in the same way and whilst its a time consuming business I am happy with the results.

So to sum up this is a complete band in a box track, using no "real live" instruments.

Thanks
Adrian