BOTTOMLAND

I recently both created a video for and remastered this song that I originally posted last summer. We were delighted at the time and remain so that it resulted in floyd jane’s forum lead guitar debut. Thank you mr jane!

We always welcome your comments and observations and appreciate you taking the time to look and listen.

Vocal: Janice
Lead Guitar: floyd jane
Drums: RD Blues Rock
Bass: RT 564 Set 30
Rhythm Guitar: RT 566
Arrangement/Audio & video production: Bud
Mixing/Ozone 6 and Nectar 2 plug-ins via Logic Pro X
Rodes NT1 mic/Blue Icicle USB Interface
Photographs: All public domain with my effects via Pixelmator, Snapseed, Paint Pad and PicMonkey.
Video: Wondershare’s Video Editor 3.

A few notes.

Tom was on vacation last summer and floyd offered to try a lead for the tune. As he said in the first post:

“…I originally did this for practice - to see if I could record a lead guitar that might fit in a mix. Never done this before. First real lead I've ever done.”

Pat asked in the thread what the backstory was on the song and I wrote:

“I was thinking of oppression in general and how many millions cannot escape from it. The imagery just comes from my life’s experiences. Jerusalem Ridge is the title of my favorite bluegrass fiddle instrumental. It’s up tempo but ethereal and a bit spooky in melody. The sunken graves and the field stone — Janice and I are history nuts and bike, drive and hike around the countryside frequently. We often find old cemeteries for which the graves have sunken in and are marked, if at all, with flat field stones.

The heritage/lineage and the blood feud lines were to reinforce the oppressive conditions that the song’s subject was living. It brought to mind images of worldwide conflicts and strife and generational/cultural/religious/tribal issues, etc…Appalachia would be a good fit metaphorically. The last verse speaks to how in America for many, but certainly not all, situations you do have an option of leaving. ‘Stick out a thumb.’ It may not be a great option but you likely will not die for trying it.”

J&B
www.janiceandbud.com