Well, kind of...

Tangmo just posted Cloudy Day, and in the off topic forum, dug into the details to the song. Written for a play. Very cool. So I commented.... go read it there.

Here's my post.

Listing for a song to close a movie. Ending scene and fade to black as the credits start to roll.

Set up: Song needs to sum up the movie and reflect the melancholy mood of the actor. Young brilliant scientist works for a pharmaceutical company in R&D. He has it all in life. Good job, money, success, a beautiful wife and 2 young boys. He's working on a project for a new drug that will erase traumatic memories. The goal is to use it to treat PTSD in soldiers and police officers who witness horrible things. The drug is nearing clinical trials when his wife and boys are involved in a horrific auto accident resulting in the death of the wife and the oldest boy. As the movie ends, he has stolen some of the drug and has taken it. He is standing looking out the window of his house on a grey rainy day as his youngest boy is playing with his toys on the living room floor behind him. The drug works.... but, not completely.

Your job.... write the song for this scene in the movie. Oh...and it has to be written, recorded, mixed and completed, and turned in within 3 days.

This song was the result and the very song I submitted. It was rejected as being too country when they had asked for a more "indy" genre song.

Another Rainy Day

This is certainly a way to get out of your writing doldrums. It forces you to think and write out of the box and often out of your comfort zone. While this song was turned down, I look at it as a success in writing something for a specific purpose and in a very short deadline.

This song was from 2013.

As best I can remember... guitar was me.... everything else is BB/RB.

Edit: The taxi reviewer on this song asked me in his comments... "man, you wrote this song specifically for this listing didn't you?" I wasn't able to respond to him..... but yeah.... wasn't that what you asked for? He said it was "spot on" for the part but the genre was wrong.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/22/19 01:33 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.