So this one was more of an experiment if anything. I wanted to test using the midi styles with Studio One's Presence and Impact instruments. At the same time I got an email from Splice Songwriters Club about a I-IV-V chord progression prompt. I also wanted to try a few things with the vocals - doubling with a slightly pitched up vocal track throughout the song and a track pitched up an octave in the choruses and last two bridges. And I wanted to try using an automation track to increase the volume throughout the song and using buses a bit more in Studio One. So last night I decided to do them all at the same time. I put it all together and recorded to vocals last night. So it's hardly perfect (the lyrics and pretty much nonsence and I don't think it's the most catchy melody I've come up with) but I'm quite happy with some of the results.

Style is CORUNA. All of the tracks are MIDI styles. I can't quite remember all of the FX I used in Studio One, but the instruments I used were in the presence and Impact plugins. I really like the drums (I used the Dance Kit) and think I'll definitely use Impact a lot more in the future. I've used presence before to add keyboards and synths to it, but I didn't think a whole track could come out of it. I used Room Reverb across the entire track, I think there might be a more elegent way of doing it in future but I don't think it was a bad first try. I used a couple of samples from Splice and the vocals were pitched up in Melodyne rather than singing them as I wanted to get kind of computerised sound. I used a lot of compression and a chorus effect on the doubled vocals to really enhance the effect. It was a stylistic choice which I think works with this style of music... and was something else I was testing!

As an experiment and a learning experience, I'm really happy with the results.

Lyrics:

Dance With Me

When I'm in the club
And you're walkin in
I know I see a
Spotlight on you, yeah.

The dance floor seems to be
The centre stage
And we're all here to
Watch you light it up.

Then you take my hand
Lead me to the floor
With each step I
Feel my heart beat-in-time.

With the rhythm of
Each kick and base-line
Lets make this night
Feel so-right. oh yeah!

I can't wait to feel you dance with me, oh!

When I see you look
Like a fine pop star
You know you're singing
Straight to my heart.

You can't make me wait
Much longer to feel ya
Move with me. Oh!
Dance With Me all night!

We're dancin to the
Beat of the club, yeah.
Not together, no.
We're too far apart.

You move close but then
Steppin back With that
Look in your eye.
I'm part of your show.

Will-they won't they stuff.
Which I say I don't
Like, but with you
It just feels so right.

It's a game we play
Each time we're here.
So let's take it
One step closer.

I can't wait to feel you move with me, oh!

When I see you look
Like a fine pop star
You know you're singing
Straight to my heart.

You can't make me wait
Much longer to feel ya
Move with me. Oh!
Dance With Me all night!

(repeat bridge x 1 and chorus x 2)

Edit: Might have been useful to include the video!

Last edited by RichardB1985; 07/25/19 09:08 AM.