Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
So, it seems so simple but....

Lets say you want to make a minor 7th chord into a dominant seventh chord, for example, in the key of C, if you wanted to sound an Am7 as A7, but you wanted to write this in Roman numerals

So, A minor is the VI chord, I would think of this as A C E. If I wanted to denote this as a minor 7th chord, then I would write Am7 ACEG. If I then wanted to change the chord to a dominant 7th of the same root I would write A7 A C# E G, .
Now, in Roman numerals. Firstly the triad chord would simply be VI. Secondly if I wanted to describe a minor seventh chord I would write VI7 ( I guess), Now, if I want to write a dominant 7th chord in the sixth position, I would write what? A VI7? But that's both a dominant and a minor seventh chord sharing the same symbol?

Do I have something wrong?

Z

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Expert
Expert
A minor chord in C would be vi (lower case),
so VI would be A major in the key of C

VI7 would be a A7 chord while
vi7 would be the Am7 chord.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
cheers, now its only impossible with my handwriting!

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Kemrich another question please.... then of the locrian chord? In its natural form it would be a vii? Rather than a VII? It sounds minory..

Last edited by ZeroZero; 11/29/14 11:34 AM.

Expert
Expert
The native chord built on the 7th note of a major scale is a diminished chord -- In C: b, d, f. If you write it just as a vii, then most folks might play it as a minor chord -- b, d, f#. I guess you need to add that little diminished symbol to the vii symbol to ensure that it is played correctly (although some folks would try the vii as a diminished chord first).

Here's a link showing the chord symbols for the diatonic major scale/chords: C major, D minor, E minor, F major, G major, A minor, B diminished.

EDIT: Dang, I just noticed that BIAB uses all upper case for its roman numeral display. In C:
Cmajor = I, Dminor = IImin, ... , Bdim = VIIdim. That seems so non-standard to me.

Last edited by Kemmrich; 11/29/14 01:11 PM.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Veteran
Veteran
Zero,

What Kevin says about lowercase for chords that use a minor 3rd up from the root and uppercase to denote chords that use a major 3rd above the root is an excellent way to distinguish the two.

This is something that developed in the last 100 years or so. Prior to that the classical musicians would use VI for the default, diatonic chord based on the 6th note of scale of the key signature. Thus in the key of C major, VI classically means Am. (Even today, there are theorists who prefer not to use lowercase Roman numerals.)

When chords outside diatonic harmony were used in the past, there were different techniques to employ. In the case of A7, this would have been considered a secondary dominant 7th and so it would have been written as V7/II (since it is the dominant 7th chord of II (Dm) if note II were temporarily considered the key at that point in time - that is V7/II leads to chord II).

Thus the progression I VI7 II7 V7 classically means...
C Am7 Dm7 G7

By comparison, the progression I V7/II II7 V7 means...
C A7 Dm7 G7

Here's an article about secondary dominants in Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_dominant

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hello Again smile

Noel, there seems to be conflicting notations, I notice you don't make use of lower case. Wiki does it seems.
Also (talking C) it is notable (not saying it's wrong)that the A7 is regarded as the Dominant of Dm, as the chord build on the fifth would be a Am. I am perfectly cool with this though as I understand that in minor harmony the fifth mode is 'dominatized' .

I have a set of jazz ballads that I am presently taking through all 12 keys. In order to do this I am creating chord tables in Roman Numerals. Once I have got a robust system of my ad hoc notation, I want to use it so as I can forget keys and just play any in any key, by glancing at the structure.

Last edited by ZeroZero; 11/30/14 01:40 AM.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
What do people think of this site?#

http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/44

Do be sure to click on a sentence as the image changes in context

The bit that really starts to do my head in is the way the inversions are notated using 6 and 4. That makes my brain cell hurt!

I think I will stick with 1 for first inversion and 2 for second.It's ridiculously hard to achieve the 6/4 fraction in WORD.

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 11/30/14 01:47 AM.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxud1uxsuvs9axb/Over%20The%20Rainbow.docx?dl=0

Is my prep sheet if your interested - you might find it useful. The melodies are just memorised.

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 11/30/14 02:04 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Noel, there seems to be conflicting notations, I notice you don't make use of lower case. Wiki does it seems.

Try this site ...

http://www2.siba.fi/muste1/index.php?id=87&la=en

Also, if you want a good book to read on the principles of harmony, I suggest the original Walter Piston book called "Harmony".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Piston

His book was published in the mid-20th century. Professor Piston is one of America's great theorists. He only ever used uppercase Roman numerals. I don't know whether his revised edition (edited and added to by another music academic, Mark DeVoto) uses uppercase or a mixture of upper- and lowercase.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. At the end of the day, the best approach is to do what works best for you. I prefer all uppercase Roman numerals because the major/minor 3rd is accommodated by the key signature in diatonic harmony. I also prefer using the system that incorporates aspects of figured bass with the Roman numerals (as mentioned in the page you posted the link to).

For example ...

In the key of G major, the above chords would be Bm, Am (first inversion), G (second inversion).

In the key of Am, the same notation would refer to Caug (if one uses the harmonic minor scale), Bmb5 (first inversion), Am (second inversion).

By the way, that's a very understandable notation that you've put together for "Over The Rainbow". It does the job well. That's all that matters.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you Noel,

Yes I have the Piston, read it some years ago. I only read treble clef fluently, unfortunately, so the examples are beyond my reading skills. As it is late in life for me (I started piano about six years ago at 54) I skipped the reading, except real book style, which is not a problem. I don't do much classical, though I memorised some Bach. I find memorisation prevents sight reading skills from developing - but that's another thread....

PS I have tidied up the template

Last edited by ZeroZero; 11/30/14 06:09 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199