Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
So after considerable thought I realized I may be mixing my tracks in the wrong order. I'm talking about the stage in my production where I have decided all of my tracks are where I want them, and I will use these specific tracks in the final mix.

Here is the order/workflow I use to build my arrangement.

* Drums, Set level, add effects, revisit level

* Add Bass Set level, add effects, revisit level, Listen to Bass and Drums set relative levels

* Add Rhythm Instruments one at a time
******Set levels individually , add effects, revisit level, Listen to Drums, Bass with the Rhythm instruments
******Audition D,B,R adjust relative levels one last time.
******Render to .wav file, listen and determine if this is a good mix for the Rhythm Section of the song

* if yes go forward

* if not go back to Audition D,B, R (RS)and make adjustments. Possibly change Effects on individual tracks, revisit levels, render and listen again.

* Mix in lead vocals, Audition (solo) lead vocal track(s) add effects, set a good hot level.
***Listen to Rhythm section and Lead Vocals, set Vocal volume relative to RS, vocals should stand out.

*Mix in background Vocals,Set level, add effects, revisit level
*Mix in lead instruments,Set level, add effects, revisit level
*Mix in instrumental solos,Set level, add effects, revisit level

Last edited by dga; 04/22/16 03:09 PM.

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"
Expert
Expert
IMO....this is my decades old process.

After getting the tracks FX decided on mute all tracks...and in this order of things:

1) Get a good mix with only lead vocal, kick, snare and bass track. (pan at 12:00)
2) Then mix in rhythm tracks for guitar, keyboards, synth pads, etc. (pan accordingly)
3) Then mix in hi-hat, cymbals, toms, percussion, etc. (pan accordingly)
4) Then mix in vocal harmonies. (pan accordingly)
5) Check final mix on various mediums if possible, take notes, remix if necessary.
6) Take an ear break for a day, listen again and repeat (5) until satisfied.
7) Mix at very low volume. I use some old Tascam S1010m's as small near fields at this juncture. If I can hear all tracks and just barely hear the bass axe I'll do a mix. Then I'll listen on my KRK Rockit 8's and push a bit more air around for further analysis.

The summed stereo track of all I will have anywhere from -6 to -12 db and I'll master from there.
Also...I think it's critical (over time) to actually know your monitors and monitoring environment which can minimize re-mix frustrations.
I'm comfortable with my ability to mix to my satisfaction...if only I could feel the same about my voice I'd be sleeping in satin sheets.

Of course, personal preference and certain genres may require a different approach.
My songs are more rock/country rock so maybe folk, country, EDM is done quite differently.
I'm still drinking morning mud so I may have missed a minor point or two and reserve the right to correct any unintentional oversight. smile

I'm sure others will chime in too and you can use your best judgment from all suggestions.

Good luck....hope that helps....carry on.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 04/20/16 06:08 AM.
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi.

I've been at this for over forty years and one thing I've found is that lots of people are using different methods and each with a lot of success. At the end of the day, you find what works for you and if it sounds good, then it is good.

I personally work in much the same way as you've described, but with one big exception - I never add any effects until the tracks are mixed. This is, in fact, possibly the only thing which almost everyone I've worked with agrees upon. The sound of an instrument in isolation doesn't sound the same as the instrument in the mix and so you won't know if any effects are needed until the balance of the mix is complete.

Other than that, you appear to me to be on the right lines.

ROG.

Veteran
Veteran
Mixing tracks:

I throw them all into the DAW at once.... normally about 4 to 8 tracks created in Real Band at the same general time frame.

I add envelopes to all and start with the drums and bass.... EQ, and set beginning levels.

Add rhythm instruments.... EQ and set levels. Pan as needed.

Record a scratch vocal.

Add other instruments....EQ pan and levels with nodes.

Working on production and the finished product from the very start..... add what's missing, remove what's not needed....

refine the mix as I go and add harmony vox and record the lead vox....

Generally, it goes this way.... but nothing is every carved into stone on how I approach the mixing process other than I'm thinking about the end right from the beginning and everything I do is working towards that end.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
IMO....this is my decades old process.

After getting the tracks FX decided on mute all tracks...and in this order of things:

1) Get a good mix with only lead vocal, kick, snare and bass track. (pan at 12:00)
2) Then mix in rhythm tracks for guitar, keyboards, synth pads, etc. (pan accordingly)
3) Then mix in hi-hat, cymbals, toms, percussion, etc. (pan accordingly)
4) Then mix in vocal harmonies. (pan accordingly)
5) Check final mix on various mediums if possible, take notes, remix if necessary.
6) Take an ear break for a day, listen again and repeat (5) until satisfied.
7) Mix at very low volume. I use some old Tascam S1010m's as small near fields at this juncture. If I can hear all tracks and just barely hear the bass axe I'll do a mix. Then I'll listen on my KRK Rockit 8's and push a bit more air around for further analysis.

The summed stereo track of all I will have anywhere from -6 to -12 db and I'll master from there.
Also...I think it's critical (over time) to actually know your monitors and monitoring environment which can minimize re-mix frustrations.
I'm comfortable with my ability to mix to my satisfaction...if only I could feel the same about my voice I'd be sleeping in satin sheets.

Of course, personal preference and certain genres may require a different approach.
My songs are more rock/country rock so maybe folk, country, EDM is done quite differently.
I'm still drinking morning mud so I may have missed a minor point or two and reserve the right to correct any unintentional oversight. smile

I'm sure others will chime in too and you can use your best judgment from all suggestions.

Good luck....hope that helps....carry on.

Thanks, I mix at very HIGH levels, and then listen at medium to low levels, is that wrong?

I spend a disproportional amount of time on my Drums and Vocals. I don't have to explain why on the Vocals, but, on the drums in RB imported RD do not have the Kick, Snare, HH, Toms, Cymbals, on separate tracks in a different post I'll explain what I do to compensate for this. It is the only downfall I have had working with RD in RB. SO I apply various effects to isolate these parts.

Last edited by dga; 04/20/16 09:06 AM.

D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi.

I've been at this for over forty years and one thing I've found is that lots of people are using different methods and each with a lot of success. At the end of the day, you find what works for you and if it sounds good, then it is good.

I personally work in much the same way as you've described, but with one big exception - I never add any effects until the tracks are mixed. This is, in fact, possibly the only thing which almost everyone I've worked with agrees upon. The sound of an instrument in isolation doesn't sound the same as the instrument in the mix and so you won't know if any effects are needed until the balance of the mix is complete.

Other than that, you appear to me to be on the right lines.

ROG.

ROG I'm going to try adding the effects after I mix the Drums,Bass, and rhythm.

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi. I personally work in much the same way as you've described, but with one big exception - I never add any effects until the tracks are mixed. This is, in fact, possibly the only thing which almost everyone I've worked with agrees upon. The sound of an instrument in isolation doesn't sound the same as the instrument in the mix and so you won't know if any effects are needed until the balance of the mix is complete. Other than that, you appear to me to be on the right lines. ROG.

Howdy...I should have been more clear.

If you were responding to me....I totally agree.
But, unlike myself, it seems many do choose print with FX as with the OP.
Personally, I just don't see that approach as a good reference point to mix from.
To each their own. smile

I use FX sparingly (vocals/guitar in my case) and it's in the FX bin as an insert...I don't render FX on individual tracks.
I, as yourself, mix totally dry.
I like a clean mix done in a dead room environment.

If you were actually responding to the OP please ignore my comments. smile

Back to it...

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: dga
Thanks, I mix at very HIGH levels, and then listen at medium to low levels, is that wrong? [/quote]

IMO...

"Wrong"...I would not be so presumptuous to tell anyone that in this context. smile

But...it's not necessary.
Mixing at high levels will eventually fatigue the ears and soon enough one will lose sonic perspective.
The mix you think was great tonight could sound like canine defecation when you listen again in the morning with fresh ears...just a thought.
Plus, getting the bass to sit well in a mix at all levels is one of the toughest goals trying to achieve a good final.
Mixing at very low levels initially (as I state above) can mitigate both issues.
When you think you have good mix....stand up...get farther from the monitors and push a bit more air with some volume...see what you think.

The RB drum tracks are already mixed pretty well.
So..if you really need to split some trap set hairs I would just use some EQ to bring out what what you think is missing....as you stated.
IE: some crack of the snare, sheen on the hi-hat/cymbals or some distinctive thud on the kick.
To qualify my historic perpsective, up until I got BIAB I always used midi drums and having the ability to have separate tracks for the trap set.

That's my take on it....back to it.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 04/20/16 09:42 AM.
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Thanks, 1966
I might clarify a bit, I mix at high levels meaning I will listen to a 3-4 minute song at a high level while working on the. Then listen at low to medium levels to evaluate the mix. Is that going to give me a good mix?

I guess my standard for the sound of Kick Drum is set rather high, running live sound for over 2 decades. I want a real thump from the Kick, I want a snap in the snare. So when I turn the set up these are very live sounding. (I will put another post up on how I do this with RD.) Yes MIDI drums will solve a lot of my problems but I do not have a source for MIDI drums that comes any where near the quality of the samples in PG's RDs.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
On the levels issue, I mix at comfortably low levels but frequently turn the volume down until I can barely hear the song. Then, if I can still hear each instrument, I know my mix will work.

Of course, this assumes my equipment, listening room and ears are all in very good order. If they aren't, then experiment how to compensate.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Thanks, 1966 I might clarify a bit, I mix at high levels meaning I will listen to a 3-4 minute song at a high level while working on the. Then listen at low to medium levels to evaluate the mix. Is that going to give me a good mix?

Sure....it "could" give you a good mix....or it could just as easily prolong that goal.
I just don't think it's the best approach.
I can only emphasize....save your ears and sense of sonic perceptions.

Most of us (me inclusive) have sat and mixed for too many hours at a time more than once.....because we're impassioned by the quest for the perfect (for lack of better description) mix.
Developing a good, repeatable mixing technique is a time saver.

I'm well aware it's difficult to change one's mixing habits with suggestions offered here.
Using my approach at mixing at very low levels when I crank the volume to revel in my efforts I'm very close to the mix I'm looking for.
The vocals are up front and the bass sits well in the mix at all levels.
Only a minor adjustment is about it.

I'd suggest to try it just once with a song that's challenging your patience.
If you think I wasted your time....I'll buy us a pitcher of Sam Adams...or two.
If you actually prefer Hamm's....I know a good therapist. smile

Respectfully submitted.....

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
On the levels issue, I mix at comfortably low levels but frequently turn the volume down until I can barely hear the song. Then, if I can still hear each instrument, I know my mix will work.

Yep...
That's what I do with my Tascam S1010m's which are tiny near fields about 3' apart and I'm 3' from them.
I don't do this mix approach on the KRK's...those are for higher volume and pushing more air. smile

If tha bass line can barely be heard with with some listening concentration I run with that as my first mix.

Back to it....

D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Thanks, 1966 I might clarify a bit, I mix at high levels meaning I will listen to a 3-4 minute song at a high level while working on the. Then listen at low to medium levels to evaluate the mix. Is that going to give me a good mix?

I'd suggest to try it just once with a song that's challenging your patience.
If you think I wasted your time....I'll buy us a pitcher of Sam Adams...or two.
If you actually prefer Hamm's....I know a good therapist. smile

Respectfully submitted.....

I asked the question not for agreement but for suggestions just like yours 1966. I am in the process of mixing a song with your suggestion in mind. Thanks.

Expert
Expert
[quote=chulaivet1966][quote=dga] I asked the question not for agreement but for suggestions just like yours 1966. I am in the process of mixing a song with your suggestion in mind. Thanks.

Ha...got it.

I am trying to help you home in on a successful, repeatable mixing technique without coming off as I'm lecturing anyone....that would suck to be interpreted that way.

Keep us informed....especially, what didn't meet your expectation or any epiphany in process that we all can learn from.

Carry on....

EDIT: rharv just reminded me of something I forgot to mention.
I do some minor EQing prior to first mix also if needed on bass, rhythm axe (for any mid-range mud) and vocals. I sometimes need a 100hz - 200hz cut of about 1-2 db.
Thx rharv....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 04/20/16 02:21 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
(my opinion/methods)
/not meant to be a rule for anyone/
I look at mixing like a 2 stage process.

Premix:
EQ is OK but not much else.
Get the bass/drums working together.
Mix in rhythm section with emphasis on rhythm section
^ I say that because at this point I can likely go back and re-EQ bass/drums to fit again.
Take a break.

Mix in other parts using same rules.

Main Mix:
Add a Room EQ in an AUX slot
Readjust the effect(s) and the tracks to fit.

Start working my way through each track, defining them individually. This is *usually* done in the same order (drums,bass,rhythm,leads) but may vary depending on the piece. If it is mainly a vocal solo/piano piece obviously those take priority.

Take a break.

Go back and tinker with Room EQ and then tracks, and then envelopes, and then tracks and then .. seemingly forever.
Eventually call it done (for now)
Revisit a week later and adjust.

To me an important step: revisit again when you notice something.

I still remix stuff for CD's that are long out of production ..
I hear things I've done and think 'this would improve that' .. so I go back and do it over for the experience.
Never stop mixing = never stop getting better at it.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
rharv? can you describe how you add a room effect?

Veteran
Veteran
A light reverb added in the AUX send, meant (usually) to give the separate drum tracks a cohesive sound and bring out a little ringing, then can later add other tracks to the same effect using the AUX slots and the AUX sends in the mixer.
Some times I have two AUXs used; one for drums, one for vocals .. since there will likely be multiple vocal tracks .. Depending on the bass sound I may want to send that to one of the two.

Basically I try to get 'grouping' done .. helps me get started down the road.
The above FX will get adjusted along the way of course.

D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
I was using different Aux for each track since there are 8 AUX, but pairing them as you do is a good idea.

Veteran
Veteran
Can't do that when working on songs with 20+ tracks ... <grin>
If you are doing every track, might as well do it at the track level and use the 'wet/dry' mix in the effect ...

D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Have not worked with more than 10 tracks so my HAT is off to anyone who does.

On the vocal and drum tracks I am working with multiple duplicated tracks so I use the same aux in addition to the Track effect.

I have not liked the wet dry mix of PGs reverb, so I choose to have 1 track set to Dry and a Track 100% reverb and mix them together. This allows me to use an envelope on the reverb track to bring in more or less reverb throughout the song.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199