Go To
#289165 03/23/15 02:52 PM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Rob4580 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ive always mixed my vocals in stereo.
Apart from saving room what are the advantages if any of recording vocals in mono?
Rob.

Veteran
Veteran
Rob,

Silly question but I'm asking as I truly do not know. Are you using two microphones to create your stereo vocal tracks or are you using one microphone but the vocal track is stereo because the effects you use have a stereo output?

My vocal tracks are recorded as mono tracks. My main is normally panned to center while background tracks are panned off center.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Here's a little rule of thumb that seems to work well for any 'record in mono or stereo'? I probably shouldn't call it a rule of thumb because that implies that it's generally accepted. This is my rule of thumb, not something I read as a general practice.

If the sound source has the ability to generate audio that is wider than the space between your ears, it's worth the effort to try to record in stereo, but the mic'ing technique will matter for phase issues. Example, vocal groups/choirs, solo piano, overhead mics for a drum kit, orchestras, etc.

If the source isn't really larger than your head, then you can save yourself quite a bit of grief by recording mono as a standard practice. Examples: individual vocals, individual drums, solo orchestral instruments, etc.

Another 'rule' that I use is to think about how an instrument would arrive at someone's ears in the situation for what is being reproduced. Think of a piano in a rock band situation where you are trying to duplicate a live sound feel. The piano is far enough from a typical audience member that even though it's a big instrument, the sound arrives in 'mono' at the listener's ear and mono treatment of the instrument might make more sense than stereo for that particular situation. Even as a solo instrument, piano in a concert hall is mostly mono for the direct signal, but the delay and reverb is richly stereo. If I'm not mistaken, this is one of the things that first Lexicon reverbs that became popular were able to simulate.

'mixing' in stereo; what does that actually mean? As pointed out above, many effects will take a mono signal but process it through stereo processing (many if not most reverb plugins work this way) and that's not necessarily mixing in stereo.

Rob4580 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Rob,

Silly question but I'm asking as I truly do not know. Are you using two microphones to create your stereo vocal tracks or are you using one microphone but the vocal track is stereo because the effects you use have a stereo output?

My vocal tracks are recorded as mono tracks. My main is normally panned to center while background tracks are panned off center.

Hi Jim.
Ive always used one mike and record in stereo.
Rob.

Rob4580 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Here's a little rule of thumb that seems to work well for any 'record in mono or stereo'? I probably shouldn't call it a rule of thumb because that implies that it's generally accepted. This is my rule of thumb, not something I read as a general practice.

If the sound source has the ability to generate audio that is wider than the space between your ears, it's worth the effort to try to record in stereo, but the mic'ing technique will matter for phase issues. Example, vocal groups/choirs, solo piano, overhead mics for a drum kit, orchestras, etc.

If the source isn't really larger than your head, then you can save yourself quite a bit of grief by recording mono as a standard practice. Examples: individual vocals, individual drums, solo orchestral instruments, etc.

Another 'rule' that I use is to think about how an instrument would arrive at someone's ears in the situation for what is being reproduced. Think of a piano in a rock band situation where you are trying to duplicate a live sound feel. The piano is far enough from a typical audience member that even though it's a big instrument, the sound arrives in 'mono' at the listener's ear and mono treatment of the instrument might make more sense than stereo for that particular situation. Even as a solo instrument, piano in a concert hall is mostly mono for the direct signal, but the delay and reverb is richly stereo. If I'm not mistaken, this is one of the things that first Lexicon reverbs that became popular were able to simulate.

'mixing' in stereo; what does that actually mean? As pointed out above, many effects will take a mono signal but process it through stereo processing (many if not most reverb plugins work this way) and that's not necessarily mixing in stereo.

Thank you for your in depth reply Rockstar.
I guess if it aint broke dont try to fix it.
Rob.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
When you say you record with one mic in stereo is it a stereo microphone? Because if it is not then you are not recording in stereo.

Veteran
Veteran
Scott - I believe what Rob means when he says "recording in stereo" is that he is recording to a stereo track.

Rob - It doesn't make much difference either way. Next time you record a vocal, select a mono track to record to and see if you notice any difference in the sound from what you have done before.
Or better yet, record a vocal on a mono track and then the same vocal in a stereo track and A/B them yourself. I find the a vocal in a stereo track has a touch of "air" to it that the mono does not, but it's small and may simply be perception...

Veteran
Veteran
MONO.... my rule of thumb is....if the source is a mono source, you should record it in mono.

Most instruments and voices are mono. Instruments that can be stereo include drum kits and piano.... things like individual drums, trumpet, flute, sax, and even guitar tend to work well in mono.

You gain nothing by recording a mono source to a stereo track. You effectively waste hard drive space.

You can simulate a stereo sound if that's what you're after, by recording the instrument or voice again.... in another mono track.

I use this doubling method a lot on my recordings. Acoustic guitars get recorded 2 times into a unique track in mono each time. Then they are panned equally opposite. With a vocal, I do it 3x.... with the lead being centered and the 2 doubles panned equally opposite and much, much lower in the mix.

Using 2 mics and recording true stereo. This is a possibility and lots of folks do it. Nothing is wrong with recording this way. My main concern is that doing this is actually advantageous to the music. You have to be aware of phase relationships and comb filtering that can occur from the use of 2 mics on the same sound source.

Comb filtering and phase issues are potentially present in any recording where you have 2 nearly identical tracks.... so doing what I mentioned...double tracking... is also subject to these issues. Just be aware.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/24/15 02:58 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
All mono except RT's and RD's that are rendered in stereo which I just leave that way. I can't understand how having the identical wave form left and right can improve the sound. I certainly do understand how actually recording in stereo via two or more mics or a stereo mic could add ambiance to the track.

Rob4580 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Scott - I believe what Rob means when he says "recording in stereo" is that he is recording to a stereo track.

Rob - It doesn't make much difference either way. Next time you record a vocal, select a mono track to record to and see if you notice any difference in the sound from what you have done before.
Or better yet, record a vocal on a mono track and then the same vocal in a stereo track and A/B them yourself. I find the a vocal in a stereo track has a touch of "air" to it that the mono does not, but it's small and may simply be perception...

Hey guys thanks for your excellent input.
Think I will stick to what I'm doing as it has always worked for me.
Rob.

Veteran
Veteran
If you send a Mono signal to an input (preamp, interface, soundcard, etc), and use the Stereo Out of said unit, you are getting the same signal on two channels.
Exactly the same sound just written to two tracks. What you really have is two copies of the same track panned left/right .. but they are the same.

If you want to test this theory, separate them, invert one of the tracks and pan them back to center. They'll cancel out.

Recording a mono signal to stereo is simply recording a single track twice.
Unless you insert other things into the signal path. If you use a vocal processor in the chain the above does not apply.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
My mono/stereo work flow is identical to rockstar_not.

If I want to create stereo image from a mono one I duplicate the track but I ALWAYS add something to the second track. It may be an effect like reverb, delay, or chorus or I may nudge it a tick or two so it sounds fuller.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: rharv
If you send a Mono signal to an input (preamp, interface, soundcard, etc), and use the Stereo Out of said unit, you are getting the same signal on two channels.
Exactly the same sound just written to two tracks. What you really have is two copies of the same track panned left/right .. but they are the same.

If you want to test this theory, separate them, invert one of the tracks and pan them back to center. They'll cancel out.

Recording a mono signal to stereo is simply recording a single track twice.
Unless you insert other things into the signal path. If you use a vocal processor in the chain the above does not apply.

Agreed with a bit of definition. The above is true if the word 'unit' in the first sentence if the unit is not a modulation device like chorus, reverb, delay, phaser, etc. Many if not most of modulation devices, if there is an identified L/R output, will in fact take a mono input signal and the signal processing will create differences in the L and R outputs turning it into a stereo signal of sorts. The Gonio3 plugin on this page will show if the output of a particular device that has L/R outputs is in fact a 'stereo' signal.

As for copying a mono signal to both L and R of a 'stereo' track in your DAW - there's no need to do that because your DAW will by default do this in the audio mixing engine with the pan control. Same is true for any mixing desk with mono inputs. Changing the pan for these signals changes the relative L/R levels.

Veteran
Veteran
FTR, my last 2 sentences said what Scott said.
If other effects are used in the chain the theory is not true, but as for the actual recording of dry tracks; they are just identical tracks taking up twice the space.

Since I apply effects to vocals AFTER the fact, I record them in mono initially. You can still use stereo effects on a mono track later..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,579
Posts734,676
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200