#341586 03/24/16 04:58 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
D
DaClark Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I think I always thought production was mixing. It seems to be more then that. any tips on how to go about learning it?

Who's up for brats and beer?
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DaClark
I think I always thought production was mixing. It seems to be more then that. any tips on how to go about learning it?

It depends who you talk to to some extent and the type/style of music. Sometimes more is more, sometimes less is more. I feel production, to a large extent, is the practice of that concept.

An example of what I mean is an artist like Tom Petty. Some songs have "a lot" going on, some...not as much. HOWEVER...both of the aforementioned are produced extremely well. I believe with his production, there is never anything that they didn't want to be in the song. If you hear it, it's on on purpose...I would even go so are as to say absolutely deliberate.

I'm not looking to necessarily get into too much of discussion of it on the forum. I've had ideas run down here enough to not want to at this point. I've gone the route of PM's. That being said, PM me if you are really interested. I haven't been on here much lately. I check in and that's about it. I would be glad to help where I can!

Others, I'm sure, will be glad to help as well. There are some VERY knowledgeable people here! I also think you would be hard pressed to find a more willing to help bunch.

Do you have any examples of artists or genre of music or specific songs? I can give you a tip, that I feel, helps A LOT!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Veteran
Veteran
I have 45 years experience in the studio, but the major way I thoroughly learned production was to hire a producer and learn from what he did.

Among many other things he arranged the recording sessions, decided what musicians were needed and hired the musicians, hired the arranger, booked the studio, booked the food at the sessions(!), and directed the sessions. He worked with me before every step to get my approval of all artistic concepts, but once we had a plan, I did not want to do any production work, just concentrate on performing, and thus he made me feel at ease (probably the single most important step). He also assisted with post-production work on mixing, mastering and marketing.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
To me, production means: Not only the mixing, that's certainly a part of it, but also the planning and arranging that goes into the project BEFORE the tracks are laid down. It involves deciding what instrument you're going to use to do fills in the first verse, the second verse, are you going to swap back and forth between 2 instruments or just use one instrument, and where and what instrument for the solo. Any FX used such as type of reverb or is it going to use an echo or chorus/flanger in there too? Will there be a building from a simple acoustic base to a full blown 7 piece band with backup singers, or will there be breaks and a return back to the acoustic beginning at the end?

Essentially, it's all the planning and details, All of the things that make the song interesting is what I call the production of the song. Similar to the arrangement but the arrangement is primarily focused on the structure of the song.... verse chorus, is there a bridge or not and the intro and outtro.... Production is the big picture.

I enjoy the production part of the job probably the best...well aside from the writing..... or the recording... or the playing..... and singing....know what I mean?

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/24/16 09:30 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
D
DaClark Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
then there is live production I think to. I'm getting there is a lot to this. I could tell there were more guitars than what we play and know we need more than what we have if we want to sound fuller. we talk about doing a recording for a cd but think we need to figure some of this out first. don't want the cart before the horse. were 4 guys with day jobs not trying to make it just have fun and sound good. now its figuring what more to do with it. 45 years in the studio is a lot of time. we could start where you did and hire someone to teach us the ropes. we want to get a sound like some of the bro country acts. it's not bach but its fun for us and like chris cagle said the chicks dig it.

D
dga Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
D

It can be more than mixing, however, parts of production are just so simple with BIAB. If you listen to a few of the styles you like. Just mess around with the levels of each channel. I don't put a lot of reverb on the tracks in BIAB. SO I would suggest lowering anything that is above 25. The drums are already recorded in stereo. Keep that track panned in the center position(0).

Here is a simple way to mix.
  • Solo the Drums, set the level, lower the reverb until the snare sounds snappy. Don't worry if its just a touch of reverb, drums sound best in that environment.
Then add the bass (both tracks solo button) increase the bass level until it blends with the drums but does not overpower them. Don't use reverb on the bass in general it doesn't respond much to reverb effect, and the bass needs to be clear and well defined. Most people add compression to bass, but, compressor plugins can get you in a lot of trouble with peaks and clips. Even if you see a little check box that says no clipping. The wrong compressor/exciter settings are not going to help you mix the bass in properly. Wait until you have mastered mixing to tackle effects on instruments. *BIAB Real Tracks, and Real Drums pretty much sound great if you leave them alone. So concentrate on setting levels.
  • Next add a rhythm instruments Piano/guitar, set the level so you like what you hear. Is the mix pleasant to your ear. Or is the bass too loud, drums too soft. Experiment with the RAW sounds of several 3 piece bands.

Mix 3 piece Drums, Bass, Piano or Guitar arrangements until you can hear the difference between what your ear likes and what your ears do not like. Everybody's ears are good unless you have suffered some hearing loss. Really nobody has better ears for mixing, just more experience. You can get up to speed in a few months if you start simple and add more difficult mixes.

Now start fiddling around. Turn the bass up too loud then back it off until it sounds right. DO that with the Rhythm instrument. Turn the drums up then adjust the levels of the other 2 instruments. Turn the drums down adjust the other two. Master 3 piece arrangements. Because they will always be in there. "OK sometimes there are no drums but now even bluegrass is adding rhythm instruments" Don't start out mixing a style that does not have drums.

DO THIS WITH A GOOD SET OF HEADPHONES like AKG K240S

I will be happy to add more detail later. My point is if you don't start out right you are not going to be happy in the end. Sometimes LESS is MORE my experience has always been. Don't move that knob away from the center if you don't know what it does.

I apologize if this is way too basic for you DaClark I was hoping I could help some of the beginners with the basics.

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Production also includes pattern making. Mixing is a part of that process but a lot of it depends on patience for taste. Biab allows an entire song to be created quickly to practice learning a taste of a particular style. In fact I've been studying the midi patterns by writing out every number there are 78 midi folders and out of numbers I randomly pull one number out and that is the style group I listen to for a week. I also have Cakewalk TTS which sounds much better than Coyote (which I think is crap!! so I can enjoy the midi pieces more. Than I try to locate from Spotify bands that might be related looking at musical notation that I have written out or seen writing out. I should score out the styles, but I haven't done that yet . But I would say this is part of a musical process.

D
DaClark Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
glad to see there is hope for all of this. Its weird you can go your whole life playing music and not catch this stuff. anyone on this forum a master of how to do this I learn best by listening. Ill try the suggestions and see where it gets me. good stuff.

L
Expert
Expert
L
Yet again some great advice. Thanks Dga, that was particularly useful as it assumed no real knowledge of mixing. The pros on here make for great reading too. Thanks all.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Veteran
Veteran
then there is live production I think to. I'm getting there is a lot to this. I could tell there were more guitars than what we play and know we need more than what we have if we want to sound fuller. we talk about doing a recording for a cd but think we need to figure some of this out first. don't want the cart before the horse. were 4 guys with day jobs not trying to make it just have fun and sound good. now its figuring what more to do with it. 45 years in the studio is a lot of time. we could start where you did and hire someone to teach us the ropes. we want to get a sound like some of the bro country acts. it's not bach but its fun for us and like chris cagle said the chicks dig it.

To do that.... don't hire someone to teach you unless you are hiring Luke Bryant and Chris Cagle, you know, the guys who are actually doing it successfully.

Short of that.... yeah, you can't afford them..... get their music and STUDY it.... dig in and find out how they construct songs, what they sing about, the instruments used, the chord progressions they use, where they place their breaks, tempo, key, groove..... study their music, then start writing THAT kind of music.

So yeah.... don't hire anyone who doesn't have a Billboard #1 chart topping song. If they can't make it to the top of the charts, then, simply put, they don't know what their doing when it comes to writing modern bro country songs.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/25/16 02:23 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
D
dga Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: lambada
Yet again some great advice. Thanks Dga, that was particularly useful as it assumed no real knowledge of mixing. The pros on here make for great reading too. Thanks all.

Lambada, thanks. I'm no pro so the best advice I can give is to someone who is just starting out.

I see we have some of the same software and hardware. I have the TCH-Play Acoustic and their Voice Live3 Extreme. I write my background music in BIAB, Mix it, and create a wave file. Its that simple usually takes about a half hour at most. Then I load the mix into my extreme pedal and take MY BAND with me to the show. Mixing 3,and 4 piece backing bands with BIAB for both covers and original songs gives me space to play solo guitar, or the rhythm guitar part live. I've been amazed at how quick this process is, and the quality of the tracks. I'm enjoying the creative process more. Like a breath of fresh air.

The Extreme latest firmware Update creates 1, 2, 3, or 4 part vocal harmonies when you stomp a switch. Reading the Key and Chord changes from the Backing Track, its a great sound for a 1 man band.

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

To do that.... don't hire someone to teach you unless you are hiring Luke Bryant and Chris Cagle, you know, the guys who are actually doing it successfully.

Short of that.... yeah, you can't afford them..... get their music and STUDY it.... dig in and find out how they construct songs, what they sing about, the instruments used, the chord progressions they use, where they place their breaks, tempo, key, groove..... study their music, then start writing THAT kind of music.

So yeah.... don't hire anyone who doesn't have a Billboard #1 chart topping song. If they can't make it to the top of the charts, then, simply put, they don't know what their doing when it comes to writing modern bro country songs.

Right on! I think this is the route to really understanding what is going on in a song. MANY times there is more going on than we would we maybe guess.

Also, don't hesitate to ask here. You may get the occasional/UN-original "you know what country and rap is? Crap!" type of response...HOWEVER, you will also get some of the best advice and encouragement you will get! Take note, there are some REALLY willing people here!

Let me know if there is anything I can do. I've stayed at arms length for a bit, but if there is interest in the subject, I'm all in!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Veteran
Veteran
methodman,
There is a pretty big difference between Coyote Wavetable and Coyote Forte. Which do you have?

Wavetable is free and Forte is $40. Sometimes the two get confused when referencing.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
D
DaClark Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I read this again and got a bit confused by where this is. I dont get some answers.

Veteran
Veteran
You've received some excellent answers. If there is something unclear, perhaps it's because we don't know what level of understanding you have. Could you tell us more about your skill level and what you are trying to accomplish?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
D
DaClark Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
thanks matt. I think where I went off the rails was coyote. is that a sound or what. the other stuff im gettin but not good at yet. so right that there is great stuff suggested. thanks for helpin all. just a newb here.

L
Expert
Expert
L
Hi DGA. Just saw your post. I've been away on holiday for a couple of weeks. I was very tempted to get the VL 3 Extreme but I felt I had never used my V 2 properly, so I'm learning to use that at the moment. Also I had the Nova Guitar effects already and an unused Boss looper. I'll wait and see what comes out next at TCH. TCH never give any warning or hints, and I know if I bought the 3 Extreme, the next week they'd bring out a new product! It certainly would have been a lot easier to just plug everything into the VL3, but it has forced me to dig into BIAB a bit more.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
D
DaClark Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
like that. I dont get it. is it another conversation or am i missing what you are saying?

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Ignore the side conversation on Coyote - has really nothing to do with your question.

Guitarhacker said to go study different producers' work - there's really nothing better you can do.

Someone else early in the thread stated that this role and activity has different meanings for different styles and I would say for different budgets.

Here's some homework:

1. Go to your CD or LP or mp3 file collection and pick out 25 of your favorite songs from those recordings.
2. Find out who the producer is on those songs. Also find out if there are mixing credits and engineer credits and arranging credits.
3. Make a table of all 25 songs and who the arranger, engineer, mixer and producer is for each.
4. Very likely, you are going to find some names repeated across columns; maybe not on the same recording, but you will find some common names very likely.
5. Go obtain as many recordings with that name listed as financially feasible.
6. Find magazine and on-line articles about what they say they do to 'produce'.
7. Try one thing that they do from a recording/mixing/arranging standpoint.
8. When you think you've learned that thing, move on to another. You don't have to get expert at it, just get the concept and then move on to something else.
9. Repeat.
10. This is supposed to be fun, if it's not - maybe do something else.

For me, it started in the 80s, falling in love with U2's The Unforgettable Fire which introduced me to Brian Eno. Eno has been musician, engineer, producer, collaborator, arranger, etc. on a variety of very diverse recordings but all usually involving reverb-y sound, which I love.

Also, go subscribe to TapeOp - it's free and chock full of great articles and interviews with engineers, producers, etc.

http://tapeop.com/subscriptions/

-Scott

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,779
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
mandella, Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365
38,501 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 189