Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Why do you need a DAW when you have Band-in-a-Box? What do you do in your DAW that you don't or can't do in Band-in-a-Box?

For example I use Cakewalk by Bandlab to automate multiple functions at a time on an audio or midi track. Cakewalk can simultaneously automate playback of volume, pan and mute on an audio track. At the same time I can automate playback of volume, pan, mute, reverb, chorus and expression on a midi track.

Last edited by Jim Fogle; 09/04/22 08:27 AM. Reason: edited automation comments

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
I started to make a list, but then thought... the answer is simpler than that. While BIAB does have specialized feature which make it totally unique compared to any DAW, it also does have some general DAW features. The reason I don't use them is 1) Limited Features, 2) awkward workflow, 3) lack of stability.

All of those limitations are handled by a professional DAW.

List of Reaper Features

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
For me, back in February when Audacity was my primary "DAW", I spent many hours trying to get RealBand to work; thinking that it would more tightly integrate with BiaB. I even posted a call for help here; Although I was/am greatful for the help, I/we were unsuccessful. We tried hard to get it to work.

Here is the thread:

RealBand Recording Problems

A buddy told me about Studio One, so I bought it and love it. It allows me to record my instruments, drag and drop audio, precisely control volume and has full export capability. So far it has everything I need and I've had zero problems with it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
Veteran
Veteran
I used Cakewalk Pro Audio, then SONAR, then briefly BandLab by Cakewalk. These are all the same DAW product as it has evolved.

The reason was that I learned it long before PG Music offered RealBand.

Now I use Presonus Studio One version 5 as my DAW.

The reason is that it is tightly integrated with my notation program, Presonus Notion 6, so when I wanted to change to a stable and future-proof DAW, and change to a notation program that was more current, user-friendly and stable with great sounds easily available to a composer, I chose this pair.

My reasons are not as likely to be your reasons. Preferences in workflow would normally be in consideration, too, so pick what works for you. No one has yet written the perfect software tool to do everything, so choose those tools that work best for you. One tool I still use frequently is a stereo Wave file editor, Adobe Audition. Yes, I could do this function in a DAW or other programs, but I learned this one over two decades ago, also. It's just a comfortable fit. Sometimes that's the only reason I can give you: it works, it's easy, and I'm fine with things as-is.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
This question to me is a bit like why buy a screwdriver if you have a hammer. One could use a hammer to drive in screws or for that matter a screwdriver to hit in nails. But and it’s a big BUT to use a tool made for specific tasks makes the job simpler, more efficient if not better.

For years I used various versions of Sonar then when things were looking dicey with Cakewalk I got into Reaper as well as Cakewalk by BandLab. I tended to use Cakewalk for MIDI as I really understood MIDI operations in that Cakewalk. I used Reaper for mixing as that DAW provided advantages in that area.

As I got on and learnt more about Reaper’s scripting and other flexibilities I am slowly but surely tending to go to Reaper for all my DAW needs. In Reaper it is easy to create menus and possible to design tools for specific functions making Reaper more flexible than Cakewalk (IMHO)

I use BAIB to design, layout and input the chords and various instruments for a song as that to me seems the best tool for that job. I guess I could do this in Reaper or Cakewalk but it would be nowhere near as good nor efficient. I could use BIAB to mix and record the extra bits I might want to add but once again to me would not be efficient.

In Reaper for example it is extremely easy to adjust the play rate of a piece or have the levels of various parts move, or manipulate panning on the fly. Whatever takes your fancy. It is also fairly easy to remove unwanted noise and things like that. This goes on and on.

The right tool for the right job it was my attitude all my working life so why not for music.

My thoughts
Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 08/30/22 02:06 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
THUMPER.

did you study the realband manual and i think there are vids now on setting up realband. ??
rb works for me and lots of people.

i think the issue is rb can sometimes be 'fiddly' to set up depending on the audio interface. the KEY is setting up the driver prefs correctly.

All.

my preferred combo is reaps//rb//biab. done 90 songs with the combo. i use the strengths of each.

it has to be said that the more one 'plumbs the depths'
of a music software , the more one will get out of it.
and bb and rb are very deep for example...as is reaps.

haveing said that i'll mention a few things i really like
in reaper ,..
(and this is not to slam bb or rb that have their own strengths which i love and use all the time.).

so reaper...
1. i love the main display showing all the traks.
2. ditto for the workflow eg moveing 'clips' around/editing etc etc.
3. various operational stats like latency and cpu and disc and plug in stats etc.
4. the free jesusonic plug ins included and other plug in
features eg i can use pg dx plus with vst's.
5. the small footprint and portability and how reaps runs on a pc with no probs/lagging etc etc. also runs on various OS platforms.

i could go on...but the above are just a few reasons.
musicstudent pointed to a full list of features on reaper.

best

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/30/22 12:19 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
Veteran
I'm kind of like justanoldmuso
'maybe' start in Biab, if not and I have a strong idea of what I want and plan to Generate just to fill in some stuff (which is way more likely around here) I just start right out in RB.

Generate what I need and time-sync other stuff.

If I'm just tinkering around, I'll try various chords/style combos in BiaB to try to find some kind of hint that inspires an idea. Same way I use any loop/generate/pattern software. BiaB is more efficient at that than RB.

But then once I have the idea I get out of BiaB so I get more control, even though it can be more work. I enjoy that kind of work way more than dealing with the leaves in the fall. <grin>

If I need something RB doesn't do I do not hesitate to move to Reaper, or others.

Mostly it's just figuring out the workflow that works best for you.

I cut my teeth on Roland software and Powertracks, so the workflow in RB is just familiar to me, & I work where I am comfortable until I have to move on.

Kind of like when I built houses. Get as much done on the ground as you can.
When you need to get on the roof, well, you move up to the roof.

I'm comfortable in PT/RB, but realize I sometimes need to get on the roof.
Not sure where BiaB fits into that scenario, maybe tinkering with floor plans before starting to build the house (?)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
I started with Dr T's sequencer back in the Atari days, then went to Cakewalk Pro Audio, Sonar, then finally to Studio One Pro 5.5. Thus I am very familiar with DAWs.

I agree with Jim on the many aspects of using a DAW. In fact I get out of BiaB as soon as I can and go straight to my DAW.

Tony has the right answer. A DAW and BiaB are two different tools.

I do not like to use RealBand. It doesn't fit well in my workflow. It is not that RB is a bad DAW; it is not and many use it as their only DAW. I just don't want to spend time learning all of the intricate workings of RB when I will not use it much. I must say that the few times that I have used it RB was stable.

Another reason that I don't stay very long in BiaB is the VST loading times. When I boot Studio One Pro 5.5 it only takes a couple of minutes to read all of my VSTs and VSTis. Having BiaB load them took over a half an hour. I am not putting the blame on PGM, it is just BiaB was not meant for that kind of usage.

In summary I hope BiaB stays focused on being the best backing track generator and doesn't become more like a DAW.

YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I started with Dr T's sequencer back in the Atari days, then went to Cakewalk Pro Audio, Sonar, then finally to Studio One Pro 5.5. Thus I am very familiar with DAWs.

I started with Dr T's sequencer back in the Amiga days, then went to Cool Edit Pro, which became Adobe Audition, then finally to Pro Tools. Thus I am very familiar with other DAWs.

I agree with Jim on the many aspects of using a DAW. In fact I get out of BiaB as soon as I can and go straight to my DAW.

Same. BIAB is just my tool to get the layout or template of the song complete.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
THUMPER.
did you study the realband manual and i think there are vids now on setting up realband. ??
rb works for me and lots of people.

i think the issue is rb can sometimes be 'fiddly' to set up depending on the audio interface. the KEY is setting up the driver prefs correctly.

Back in Feb, I consulted every resource I was aware of including videos. And you, rharv and MarioD helped as best you could but to no avail; thanks for trying. The fact that only 3 tried to help, out of a reported 36,433 members tells me that the RB userbase is either not large or not that motivated. Meanwhile, Studio One worked instantly and there seems to be a healthy group of S1 users here. One has to use the tools that work.

I will say that I hope that the programming resources directed toward RB do not inhibit future growth of the flagship program BiaB.

https://soundcloud.com/user-646279677
BiaB 2024 Windows
For me there’s no better place in the band than to have one leg in the harmony world and the other in the percussive. Thank you Paul Tutmarc and Leo Fender.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Tony (Teunis) presents a great analogy in terms of why it may be a better idea to use BIAB rather than a DAW for many tasks one encounters in song creation. Here's my take on his analogy:

<< Why buy a screwdriver if you have a hammer? >>

as an analogy to;

Why buy a DAW if you have BIAB?

I use a screwdriver many times to drive small nails, make a punch mark, tap pieces in place etc. For small instances where a tap is sufficient, the screwdriver gets the job done as efficiently and quicker than I can fetch a hammer for the small job.

It's the same with BIAB. Tasks like cut/paste, comping, volume automation, panning, adding some effects, audio recording, MIDI recording, cross-fades, fade-in, fade-out, inserting silence, muting, trimming intros, trimming outros, arranging, transposing, harmonizing, transcribing, extracting stems, time shifting audio, convert channels (mono/stereo), add/delete bars, audio punch in/out, bussing, bouncing tracks, sound on sound recording, move/copy MIDI/audio, normalize tracks, fix tuning, time stretch and pitch to name a few tasks BIAB can do and it shares with DAWs.

Many times, and in my case, more often than not, I can complete the tasks from the list above quicker and obtain results that are indistinguishable from doing the task exporting tracks out and completing them in a DAW.

I'm not suggesting that BIAB has obsoleted DAWs for music production but neither is pro quality music production unobtainable using BIAB if by-passing a DAW during the creation process. If a user doesn't have a DAW, there's no rush to go and acquire one.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Expert
Expert
I think a lot depends on how you 'grew up' with BIAB. I started on floppies and midi only and got PowerTracks bundles with BIAB for free.

Learning to use both programs I found some functions not available in BIAB were easily managed in PT. So my workflow was get as much laid down in BIAB and then move to PT to produce midi backing tracks for the duo i played in.

Since then BIAB has acquired many many more functions, but so has PT in becoming RB. Building on my skills with PT, its natural for me to use RB for 'heavy lifting'. RB is still for me, more transparent and obvious than BIAB. Legacy track? Melody track? soloist? utility track? no need to search - all the tracks are in front of you.

I know it's second nature to Jim and Charlie to stay in BIAB but for me RB is so much easier. Nothing hidden, fx easily added, a mixer that looks like a real life mixer..... and all the functionality of BIAB if i need it.

so with RB as my DAW it's a workflow i prefer. and if i get stuck, the program is so easy and familiar I can usually work out how to do things. but not always - and that's why the forum is so useful!

Veteran
Veteran
Having said that you use the right tool from many choices, I stay in BIAB as long as possible. As a composer I make a lot of changes before I take a song into production.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Simple answer is BIAB is NOT a DAW! And, Realband is NOT a feature-rich, modern DAW. Realband does not compare favorably to any of the modern DAWs available today. The one thing it does is support RealTracks but when you realize it doesn't even respect BIAB bar settings, frozen tracks, etc. you see it is not even useful in your BIAB workflow!

BIAB is absolutely brilliant at generating tracks from the awesome RealTracks library. And that is enough! I get in BIAB and out to my DAW ASAP!

Journeyman
Journeyman
Like many others
BIAB only as long as I need. Mostly real tracks. Almost zero midi.
The DAW does the rest

Last edited by mrgeeze; 08/31/22 10:35 AM.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
in the spirit of lively friendly collegial debate lets look at some pg users who use the 'free' REALBAND (RB). ie 'the other side of the RB coin" as it were.
(and lets not forget a new user can get a pak under 100 buckys with both biab AND RB. some competing software with only daw features can cost much MUCH MORE.)

1..the very talented long time pg user Joanne Cooper who i respect highly.
she is a long term RB user who has posted on her site and the pg forums about how she uses RB as a DAW. with various articles etc etc. LINK>>>

https://joannecooper.co.za/home

one of her articles is titled 'eight reasons RB is her daw of choice'.
i agree particularly about the 'no dongles' aspect. i also dislike them and will never EVER use a product that employs them cos ive seen too many people have issues sometimes.

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/eight-reasons-why-i-as-a-band-in-a-box-user-use-realband-as-my-daw-of-choice

2..pg user RHARV was kind enough to allow me the other day to listen to one of his productions done using RB. count me highly impressed….a top flight major studio i feel couldnt have beaten the production quality and dynamics etc etc. and RHARV is another pg user i highly respect.

3..moi. ive done 90 songs using biab/reaper and YES RB included as my go to software combo to do songs.
and ive forgotten how many 'demos'.
i play to the strengths of each of the 3 bb/rb/reaps.
(12 songs i have posted in the pg user showcase and on soundcloud see my sig at the bottom.…ill let others determine whether my crazy songs are good or not….lol..my 'thing' is the fun of doing songs..good or bad.).

in order to be fair and balanced i have to say RB has many nice daw features imho , BUT one MUST be willing to plumb its depths. this is the crux of it.

in addition…yes some might see it as an 'ugly duckling' BUT as my granny might have said 'beauty is often skin deep..its what is inside thats important'.

fwiw i just posted in the RB wishlist forum my RB wishes for 2023.
and if one goes back in that forum ive posted many past wishes.

in conclusion i'm sure there are pg users that use RB other than us 3 posted above.

WHY HAVE I TAKEN THE TIME TO MAKE THIS POST ?

cos it troubles me that a new pg user might dismiss RB. too easily. i also want to see the RB user base grow and RB prosper.
IS RB PERFECT ?..NO ! but ive found other competing products arent often perfect either.

let me say also...in the past ive had 'big lads' i met say to me 'REALBAND' or "POWERTRAKS" never heard of it..;.looking down their noses in the process UNTIL
i showed them several of the features and watched their eyes 'bug out' lol.

back to your regular programming ..lol.

happiness to all.

om

ps Mario i still have here my old 'sequencer one' diskette..ah those were the days...lol.
ps teunis. many good points.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 08/31/22 01:13 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
While RealBand and PowerTrack Pro have their advocates I hope the discussion doesn't linger on those programs for a couple of reasons. First RealBand and PowerTrack Pro are PG Music's DAW offerings and I don't want this topic to become a discussion of PG Music DAWs versus all the other DAWs out there. Second the programs are only available for Windows so Macintosh users are left out of the discussion.

Some of you mentioned you are more comfortable or use to performing certain tasks in your DAW versus Band-in-a-Box. I understand that as I normally don't like getting out of my own comfort zone.

Bob Calver brought up an interesting thought. He mentioned "growing up" with Band-in-a-Box so he is comfortable using the program. I think experience using ANY product or program breeds comfort. Once you are comfortable with a program you naturally prefer other products that are similar and operate in a similar manner.

I believe one reason some people have difficulty with Band-in-a-Box is they are comfortable using a DAW. They believe Band-in-a-Box is a DAW so they expect BiaB to work similar to a DAW. Related from a user interaction standpoint is that there is really no other program to compare Band-in-a-Box against.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
IT IS NOT THE TOOL, IT IS THE PERSON USING THE TOOL.

I yelled that because it is the truth. It really doesn't matter what your tools are but the experience behind the person using it. Many tools are job specific while others have a few "side" functions. Yes a screwdriver can be a hammer for small nails, or an awe, or a small pry bar but they are not the optimum tool for those jobs. However they may get the job done.

All powerful pieces of software have learning curves. BiaB, any DAW, Scaler, etc have huge learning curves IF you want to dig deep into the program.

Any workflow is great IF it works for you. Charlie, RHarv, Matt, Joanne, and others have dug deep into BiaB and/or RB; thanx GOD they are willing to share their information. I use BiaB as a scratch pad figuring out chord progressions and styles. Sometimes I will use either the Melodist or the Soloist to give me some ideas for leads. I do all of my heavy work in my DAW, Studio One Pro 5.5 which I have dug deeply into. I have no desire to dig deeply into BiaB or RB as I can do many if not all of those things Charlie and others have listed quicker and easier in my DAW. Why? Because I know my DAW as you know your tools. This workflow works for me and may not for others.

As I stated it is the tool user and not the tool.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
IT IS NOT THE TOOL, IT IS THE PERSON USING THE TOOL.

I yelled that because it is the truth.

Your point is true but it is not the complete truth! Some tools are better than others and it is perfectly valid to have that discussion. Every piece of technology is subjected to reviews and comparisons with other implementations so potential users can can make a more informed decision.

The whole argument that a poor tool can be used to create quality results does not change the FACT that there are much better tools available.

And the issue is a LOT deeper than just deep diving into a poor tool to learn to work around it's warts. I believe it is FAR better to simply find a better tool!

Expert
Expert
It’s funny how many people seem to be either afraid or not interested in learning a new skill. When I first started work as a trainee after leaving school I went to a training school where about 50% of our time in the first year was about how to correctly use tools. Use the correct tool or best tool for the job.

With producing music there are many alternatives into how to get a job done. I recall a little session I had with a fellow musician who said you can’t use BIAB to do that and I showed him how. He said I have had BIAB for years and I didn’t know that. I said go to the PG site there is a plethora of great videos there to demonstrate aspects of BIAB. Go find Joanne Coopers stuff or Henry Clarke you’ll learn heaps. “Oh I don’t have the time for that”. My answer then I can’t help you.

I find learning is what it is about. I spend time every day looking and reading stuff on these forums. I learn by doing so. I reckon I still spend 50% of my time learning new skills or finding ways to make better use of what I know.

I said earlier in these posts it is about using the best or most appropriate tool for the job. In music production this can be very subjective however without enough learning how can one make the best choices.

Learn!!! It is fun.

My thoughts
Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 08/31/22 02:32 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,628
Posts735,232
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185