Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#537080 05/17/19 05:15 AM
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
O
OP Offline
O
Can anyone tell me if either of the above computers will work well with BIAB. I’m hearing conflicting reports whether Surface Go is suitable.It is my preference because it is so compact and obviously much cheaper. Although I think I would need a USB hub to convert the USB-C to standard USB3 and to use Windows 10 rather than Windows S.

Veteran
Veteran
My surface pro 3 runs BIAB and any and all other music applications I have ever thrown at it, like a champ.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Surface Go will work. By default Windows is in "S" Mode... which will most likely will not allow for BIAB, since I do not believe it is in Microsoft store....(S mode means stuff will run only for from the Microsoft app store...

However Microsoft says this:

To increase security and performance, Windows 10 in S mode runs only apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to permanently switch out of S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode, but you won't be able to turn it back on. If you're blocked from switching and your device belongs to an organization, check with your administrator. Your organization can choose to keep all devices in S mode.

So if you are sole owner of your device, I do not believe there should be any problems with running BIAB on Surface Go..

Having said that... I had Surface before. It is good machine for some taks, but Thinkpad Yoga is much (much!!) better overall choice in my opinion.

O
OP Offline
O
Thanks guys for your quick reply it looks like Surface Pro is the safer bet as it's been tried and tested but I shall have a look at ThinkPad Yoga which I've never heard of.

Veteran
Veteran
Interesting -> What exactly makes a Thinkpad Yoga a much better choice than a Surface Pro?

Martin
Expert
Expert
Recently when looking for a 2 in 1 laptop I quickly ruled out the Surface Pro based on price and flexibility. There are many tablets, laptops and 2 in 1s that offer better configurations, cheaper and more flexibility.

I ended up with an ACER with an i7 and 8 gig ram and 512 gig SSD. It has an HDMI port, 2 x USB 2 type ports and a USB C port. This was way cheaper than a lesser Surface Pro device.

No issues with running the applications I want.

My two bobs worth. But, I am biased, I had great difficulty with networking Surface Pros and getting them to work with other devices but that was some time ago. Also I wanted USB Ports for both the sound card and a midi foot controller (which I could plug into the sound card.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I am speaking from own experience as I had Surface pro and Thinkpad Yoga. (Thinkpad is the key) Other "consumer" grade yogas are not built this way.

Advantages of Yoga:
More ports. Integrated keyboard, that flips 360 degrees to make it as a tablet. Keyboard also acts as a stand, a pretty sturdy one too. User replaceable parts (hard drive) (Surface is extremely hard to take apart). Parts are abundant and not expensive. Feels like a solid computer, not just a tablet. Light, portable. Metal / carbon body, built very well. Surface is more noisy. If fan goes bad (common problem) you are stuck with paying for repairs more than used unit is worth.
And much more smile

Veteran
Veteran
User replaceable parts are a strong plus. On the flip side I'd be reluctant to pursue a 2 in 1 system that makes keyboard keys touch the table. Doesn't this add a certain wear on the keyboard? An i5 Surface Pro is fanless - as is e.g. the Spectre Folio - and provides way enough oomph for a full fledged BiaB installation.

There are plenty of alternatives around these days, though. E.g. -> www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-surface-pro-alternatives

Martin
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Martin, keys on Yoga retract when you start flipping it more than 180 degrees and there are rubber feet specifically for that (laying it flat). Believe me, they put a lot of thought behind it. Oh, another thing, there is also a pen that is built in the body, so you can use that too, if needed. As I mentioned, I had both Surface and Yoga I sold Surface second day I got Yoga and never looked back. But hey.... it is just my opinion smile

See photos below.

Veteran
Veteran
The Surface has a good reputation but I've never used one.

I do have experience with ThinkPads, although not the Yoga model.

Think Pads seem to be close to bulletproof. I use two on stage. One is an up and running spare that since 2002 I've had to go to twice to save the show. And I do one-nighters, which are notoriously hard on equipment. The 2002 ThinkPad is working to this day.

I had a second 2002 ThinkPad but I damaged the hinge, and it was so old the part was no longer made. At that time I bought a Win7 ThinkPad which is still working.

My 'desktop' computer is also a ThinkPad.

On a video tour of the International Space Station they pointed out the two redundant computers that regulate all their life support systems. I recognized them right away, ThinkPads. Obviously NASA knows their reputation for reliability too.

I'll probably continue buying nothing but ThinkPads as long as they keep their quality standards up.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Bob,
I own older i5 Thinkpad too(my work computer).
Thinkpad Yoga line is built same way, actually I believe a little bit better, even more solid. Because it is meant to be carried around. Same kind of metal/carbon chasis, etc., but very slim and light.
Nice things, you can get them cheap used, because many large companies are buying them for employees and then flipping them. And most likely they would still be under warranty, which by the way is also up to the standard.

...Crazy sale came up couple of weeks ago and I was able to purchase additional 3 years Thinkpad warranty for $1 (Yes, one dollar for 3 years).

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Martin, keys on Yoga retract when you start flipping it more than 180 degrees and there are rubber feet specifically for that (laying it flat).

That's good to know. I haven't seen this twitch in their ads. I could imagine that they increased their revenue if they made more clear that they took measures to safeguard the keyboard.

Martin
Veteran
Veteran
But then again, I don't see such rubber feet on any images of the ThinkPad X1 Yoga (3. Generation). They seemingly urge interested customers to walk into whatever shop that carry these things.

Martin
Veteran
Veteran
The only thing that looking at the Yoga that disappoints me is the lack of the 'eraser head' (Track Point) mouse substitute.

I'm so used to being able to move the cursor without moving my hands from the typing position that I stick to the old business class ThinkPads.

If I needed the tablet mode of the Yoga, I might reconsider.

I've used ThinkPads since they were manufactured by IBM, and at first I hated that little 'eraser head'. I used it anyway. Then when I got a Mac (so that I could test my after market BiaB styles on it) and had to move my hands to the mouse, it just seemed like wasted time and effort. It seems once I got used to the little red dot between the G H and B keys, I realized what a time and effort saver it is.

But, there is more than one right way to do this.

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Bob, Yoga that I own (370) has "eraser" pointer tracker in the middle of the keyboard, plus the very familiar trackpad of bigger thinkpads.

Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

+++ HERE +++ is a link to the Thinkpad X1 Yoga (3rd Gen) that Lenovo suggests as a replacement to Rustyspoon#'s 370 Thinkpad.

And yes, the magic red pointer is part of the retractable keyboard.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Ah, the "eraser head" (Track Point) on the Yoga - Good move on Lenovo's part.

Once you get used to using it, it seems such a waste of motion and time to have to move your hands from typing position to the mouse or the pad.

I have a regular business class ThinkPad, I forget the model number, and I hope to have it for years. Then perhaps, a Yoga? Definitely another ThinkPad unless they quality deteriorates.

Insights and incites by Notes

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Making Music with the Surface Go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYF4TkQjYTU&list=PLzR35OQr-uwvGp1EJjrqCvGy5UIgow0Q-

there are many other ms surface music making videos
on this channel

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,485
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195