Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
To put it simply, it won't turn on. It tries - when I hit the on button the lights flash for about a second then it shuts off. I suspect it might be the AC adapter / power supply. It has an LED on top. The LED is lit but when I hit the power button the LED dims. I dunno if this is typical or if it might be a symptom of the problem.

This isn't the original PS. It's the third one, one of the ubiquitous ones you see on Ebay. The connectors wear out, and I haven't had much luck with replacements. The connector is still in good shape on this one, but I'm thinking about replacing it anyway. Other than this problem the laptop has been very reliable. But it is getting kinda old - 10 years now. I hang onto it because it's still a solid performer. Faster than most new ones, plus it's got other stuff I like - 2 drive bays, a 17" screen, wifi, memory card slot, HDMI port and more. And yes, it has a CD/DVD drive. Yes, it's big, but I don't cart it around so I don't care about its size.

So am I barking up the right tree here or is there something else i should be thinking about?

Expert
Expert
Hi, this might sound counter intuitive but the first thing I’d try is to remove the battery then plug in the power and see how it goes. If the battery is 10 years old it is a fair chance it is no longer working as it should and maybe drawing down power. Also check if the power supply is getting hot. (Another indicator the battery is fritzed.)

Just a thought

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey Tony, thanks for the feedback. My apologies. I should have mentioned that the battery isn't installed. It isn't the original but is completely dead. I didn't think it was important when I was describing the situation above, but I guess I should for the sake of completeness. This problem first asserted itself a couple weeks ago. The laptop would shut down after being on for several hours, but it would always start back up. When it shut down, I felt around the bottom, expecting to find it would be very hot, but it wasn't. Ťhen, a few days ago, it wouldn't restart, behaving like it does now. I removed the battery, thinking it might be draining the PS. That seemed fo take care of the problem. But it didn't last. Then I tried something that would work with another laptop I owned, when it would spontaneously shut down. I used compressed air to blow all the dust out of the inside. That seemed to help too and things seemed back to normal for a couple of days. Then yesterday, when I went to start it up, nada.

So, yeah, I tried a couple of different things, each which seemed to help until it didn't.

Expert
Expert
Hi Michael

The fact that the power supply LED dims on connecting the lap top is not a good sign.
It means the laptop is drawing a lot of current at least at start up ,or the power supply has lost it ability to supply enough current.
The only quick way to try is substitution of the psu.
Or to check the current drawn by the laptop with a multi meter in series with the supply. not easy, to see if it exceeds the power supplies current rating.
It may be easier to check for voltage drop across the connection (parallel) test.
If this is excessive that would also indicate high current.
If you feel it is the laptop drawing to much current. You could try removing some drives etc from their bays also any connected usb devices of course.
Good luck
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Veteran
Veteran
I would replace both battery and power supply if I was interested in keeping it. You will need to balance the cost of that versus getting a newer model laptop and make your decision. smile

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Expert
Expert
Given the times you’ve changed power supplies and eliminated the battery I would suggest an updated laptop. I don’t know about your part of the world but here in Australia there are really good deals going. An i7 with 16 gig ram 512 gig SSD for under $1000.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 09/25/19 11:57 AM.

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for the responses guys. This laptop still has some life left to it. It has a 2.8 GHz quad core processor and I have 8 GB RAM installed. 1.5 TB of drive space. I replaced the LCD screen a couple years ago. Everything still works, including the wireless adapter.

It handles Band in a Box very well, and just about everything else I've thrown at it. I think its cheap Chinese PS has given up the ghost. If a new one brings it around I'll get a new battery for it. If it doesn't, I won't be out much and I guess I'll be looking for a decent replacement.

Expert
Expert
Sounds a lot like the old reliable axe. Only had 5 new handles and 3 new heads but my word it’s a goodun. wink

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You can try and take the hard drive, cd drive and ram out of it and see if it powers on if not try another ac adapter if that's ok have a look on ebay for a motherboard.

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Teunis
Sounds a lot like the old reliable axe. Only had 5 new handles and 3 new heads but my word it’s a goodun. wink

There's some truth in that. Thing about this old laptop is it has features that aren't so common anymore. Well, for a halfway reasonably priced unit, at any rate. It has a 17" screen and a full sized right side numeric keypad. These are two features I don't just like - I insist upon them.

Veteran
Veteran
Mine's like that too Michael, it's a tank.... but good for mobile recording.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A tank. That's a good way to put it. Sucker must weigh as much as a Les Paul.

Last edited by cooltouch; 09/28/19 06:04 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
I had the same problem with a nice Fuji swivel screen Core Duo. Took it to Best Buy where they tested the PS for free. In my case the PS was good, they told me it was most likely the connector where the PS plug goes in which meant a new mobo. I can't do that myself and it's way too expensive to have them do it so it's trash.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
If you can find the right connector, it isn't a difficult replacement. The connector on the MB is a block and is attached by just a few solder points. The trick is being able to find the correct connector. It would be a shame to junk the laptop just because of the connector.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. My replacement power supply finally arrived today. So, I plugged my laptop into it and hit the on button and bingo! It powered up. Back to normal. I'm typing this note on it, in fact.
Nice to have it back.

Veteran
Veteran
Great news! Thanks for the update!

Steve

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199