Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
Dear all -

I recently had to replace the hard drive on my 2017 Dell Inspiron laptop, during which several apps were removed including BIAB 2016, running on Windows 10.

So I plugged in the external BIAB drive, ran Disc 1 & ran all the prompts to install the software. The BIAB icon popped up on the desktop. But when I clicked it, I got all sorts of weird error codes, "dividing by 0," etc.

So I went into the BIAB folder and opened it there. RealTracks linked properly to the external drive & I composed a song. But I can't save it to the computer as a .WAV or .mp3 . And I can't save it on the external drive either (BTW what's a SGU file & should I be saving that as well as .mp4?)

It also appears I've lost the ability to load up all the BIAB songs into the program I had on the old hard drive so I can't edit them anymore; I will have to rebuild them from scratch!

Very frustrated, very confused, not very tech-savvy. Would appreciate some help to at least be able to save new creations to my PC going forward, even if I've lost my library. Thanks.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

Quote:
But I can't save it to the computer as a .WAV or .mp3 . And I can't save it on the external drive either (BTW what's a SGU file & should I be saving that as well as .mp4?)

.SGU is just a regular Band-in-a-Box song file. You need to save your songs as .SGU by going to File | Save, then you can open them later via File | Open. When you are finished creating a song (entering chords etc.), you might then choose to render/export your song as a .wav audio file or compressed audio file like .mp4 for whatever reason (maybe to upload to a website, import to a other software, etc.) This file cannot be opened back up into Band-in-a-Box to continue to edit. Well, you *could* import the .wav file to the audio track but that's different. You need to still open the .SGU (or .MGU) file to be able to edit the chord symbols, change the style, add RealTracks, etc.

You should install the latest update patch for your version - find it here:
https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm
For example, for 2017 it's build 471.

If you are still having problems, choose one thing that doesn't seem to be working, and describe specifically what happens when you do it.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: ffreniere
Dear all -

I recently had to replace the hard drive on my 2017 Dell Inspiron laptop, during which several apps were removed including BIAB 2016, running on Windows 10.

So I plugged in the external BIAB drive, ran Disc 1 & ran all the prompts to install the software. The BIAB icon popped up on the desktop. But when I clicked it, I got all sorts of weird error codes, "dividing by 0," etc.

So I went into the BIAB folder and opened it there. RealTracks linked properly to the external drive & I composed a song. But I can't save it to the computer as a .WAV or .mp3 . And I can't save it on the external drive either (BTW what's a SGU file & should I be saving that as well as .mp4?)

It also appears I've lost the ability to load up all the BIAB songs into the program I had on the old hard drive so I can't edit them anymore; I will have to rebuild them from scratch!

Very frustrated, very confused, not very tech-savvy. Would appreciate some help to at least be able to save new creations to my PC going forward, even if I've lost my library. Thanks.

When you try to render your songs from the program as .WAV or .MP3, do you get any error messages at all that pop up? I see above you mentioned the "dividing by 0" error, but any in particular when trying to render to an audio file format?

Also, when you say your old BIAB files aren't loading, are you going to File | Open to open them, or double clicking on them outside of the program to try and open them? If that latter, it could be a file association with the new program that needs to be set up.

Cheers,
Ember
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199