Go To
#649404 03/31/21 03:52 AM
Beginners Forum
Roycol Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Just a quicky!
When playing live, do people use Band In a Box, or transfer file to RealBand? (or something else?

Roy

Geekom Mini-pc
Intel i5-8259U
16,0 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 11 pro
Acer V15 Laptop
Intel i5-5257U
16,0 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10, x64
Acer 5750 Laptop
Intel i3-2310M
6.00 GB RAM 64-bit operating system, x64

Roycol #649406 03/31/21 04:13 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I've been in a duo using self-generated backing tracks since 1985. Here is how I do it:

http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Beginners Forum
Roycol Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Well Norton.
What a great article!
I enjoyed reading that.

Roy

Geekom Mini-pc
Intel i5-8259U
Acer V15 Laptop
Intel i5-5257U
Acer 5750 Laptop
Intel i3-2310M

Roycol #649414 03/31/21 04:59 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Roy, there's a similar topic on this in the "Off Topic" forum.....

Going Live...what do I need?

One common issue people like to avoid is a computer problem. Some folks like to use an MP3 player to play backing tracks because it's more simpler to use and less prone to issues as a computer. Enjoy the read.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Roycol #649442 03/31/21 07:12 AM
Beginners Forum
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
I make a set list on my MacBook and use it live in Jukebox mode when performing.
If needed I also have all songs on my iPhone.

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Wow! I understand the answers others have gave but I despise using fixed mp3's and feel I've paid goodly sums for live play features, like the conductor, to use BIAB live. Does anyone here use it instead of mp3's? I love the big lyrics window and think I will get used to the conductor if I start using it on a regular basis.

Seems the biggest problem the mp3 users have is the fear of BIAB crashing on the job. For those of you using BIAB live, do you have problems with crashes on the job?

Dell 610 dual Monitor, win 7-10, Sonar Plat, ProTools 10 & 11, Reaper 4, BIAB/real Band 2022, Easy Drummer, Superior Drummer, Kontact Essentials, Personnel Orchestra, Korg Legacy Analog & Digital
Roycol #649520 03/31/21 03:10 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
No, I never had a computer with BIAB crash on a job. I do, however, try to keep things as simple as I can by using the MP3 player BUT I put .WAV files on it for the best quality I can get. The laptop stays in the car as a backup.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Roycol #649545 03/31/21 10:18 PM
Beginners Forum
Roycol Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments.
Others thing I like/don't like.
I does not remember my cappo position, in the saved song, so it has to be set before pressing play.
As its Zoom meeting I use it for, and only do the same number a few times, without much practice (new numbers each week) its handy to see the 'chords screen' while playing, to get the finish etc correct. I can't do this with mp3's.

Roy

Geekom Mini-pc
Intel i5-8259U
Acer V15 Laptop
Intel i5-5257U
Acer 5750 Laptop
Intel i3-2310M

Roycol #649554 03/31/21 11:24 PM
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
What I use to show lyrics and chords is Songbook. In this I can also add comments such as capo position, chorus, verse, instrumentals, tags, slow down or what ever.

I insert pauses to the scrolling where I need them, say stop the scrolling for a time whilst playing an instrumental the come back in and the scroll restarts.

One could easily load the song apply the capo on the said fret. Then start the scroll and MP3 with the chords coming up at about the right tempo for the MP3. After experimenting with a few songs it is very easy to use.

In my case have the words in a text format. Import the text into Songbook add a title and other comments. Set the time of the song (the length of the MP3 in mm.ss), the location of the MP3. Set the key to make changes easier later if required. Then add the chords into the words so it all matches up. Maybe add a pause for the intro.

I load the song press start and also start the MP3. So the song starts showing me the chords for the intro, stops the scroll to allow the intro time and continues the scroll for the words and chords to come up.

Comments are inserted to let me know where I am. e.g. verse 1, chorus, instrumental (16 bars). The scroll pauses whilst the instrumental is played. Then the scroll restarts after the time allocated for 16 bars.

All simple and easy IMHO.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Roycol #649590 04/01/21 04:21 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
There is more than one right way to do this.

I don't do set lists, because I'm not clairvoyant enough to know what song would be absolutely best for the audience 10 minutes from now. That's why I use a laptop and not a mp3 player.

When playing I watch the audience to determine what I should play next. One example: If they are on the dance floor and looking like they are getting tired, calling another fast song would not be the best thing to do. So judging from what I already know about the audience I might pick a slow song, if there are ballroom dance types I might choose a 'specialty' dance that they would get up for while the others catch their breath and sip their drink, play a request that doesn't fit anywhere else, or it might be time to make an announcement.

On the opposite side, if they look like they need another fast song, I can free one hand for a couple of seconds to call up the next song and hit enter as soon as the song I'm currently playing is done. Sometimes 3 seconds between fast songs is too long, because once they make the decision to go back to their tables, not much will change their mind. It's easier playing a fast song when the dance floor is crowded.

I can make the decision of what would my experience tells me what would be best for the audience 15 seconds before the song ends, and it will only take 2 seconds to cue up the next song.

I couldn't do that with a tablet or mp3 player. Sometimes I only have 2 seconds to call up the next tune.

My philosophy is to give the audience what they need, when they need it, even if they don't know what they need and when they need it. I look at their clothes and shoes before starting (you can tell a lot from that), decide what to play, see how it's going over, near the end of that one call up the next song, and repeat until the gig is done.

I figure that if I give them a better experience than my competition, I'll get more gigs. So far that has worked, at least until COVID-19 knocked on our door. I've actually had to block out time and refuse gigs to take an annual vacation.

Computer reliability

I've been using ThinkPad computers on the gig since 2002, when IBM still made them. There is a spare up and running at all times. Since 2002 when I started using ThinPads, I've needed the spare twice.

(1) the hard drive started making a mechanical noise so between songs I moved the USB end of the USB->Audio interface to the next computer. The audience never knew there was a problem. Next day I replaced the Hard Drive

(2) The CMOS battery went out. This is the first time that happened and I didn't know I could manually enter date and time and boot the computer, so I went to the spare. The repair was a $5 'coin battery'. That was on one of my 2002 computers, and it's still running today.

I wouldn't use a different brand of computer, only ThinkPads because of their reputation.

I saw a video tour of the International Space Station, and they have two, redundant ThinkPad computers that regulate all the life support functions of the space station like oxygen, cabin pressure, etc. Obviously NASA feels ThinkPads are the most reliable too.

But like I said, there is more than one right way to do this.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Roycol #649668 04/01/21 12:39 PM
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Hi Bob, I do set a list but I can very easily change on the fly. All my songs are there in basic alphabetic order and I also have lists of types of music. Say 60 rock, waltzes, Australiana, so it takes very little time.

I find if I don’t have some idea before I start I tend to fumble around looking for songs a bit and/or often play the same songs in the same venue time and again. Using a list I can be sure I’m not playing the same song in the same venue the next time I’m there (unless for some reason I want to). When I add a song to the list Songbook shows what list the songs have been added to.

Using Songbook gives me heaps of flexibility.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Roycol #649750 04/02/21 03:11 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Like I said, there is more than one right way to do this.

I'm glad that works for you.

I tried an iPod once, and it took me too much time. But then I have over 600 songs in my repertoire.

So if I'm playing a song and decided to play "Wagon Wheel" next, when the song is done I type W hit Enter and "Wagon Wheel" starts immediately. It's the first W song. If I want "Walk Like An Egyptian" I have to type WAL and hit Enter. It starts in less than a second.

I can even type that W or WAL during the song I'm currently playing. I can often get a hand free for a second. Then when the song ends I hit Enter the next one starts immediately, almost as smoothly as a DJ.

After decades of doing this I'm pretty good at sizing up an audience and knowing a safe song to open with by the way they dress, the shoes they wear, their age bracket, and how they conduct themselves. Then it's just a matter of watching the audience while playing.

It's what works for me. YMMV

Insights and incites by Notes

Roycol #649757 04/02/21 03:57 AM
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
I use IOS devices (IPAD Iphone) to play my 320kb mp3 backing tracks on stage. I use BIAB and Logic Pro to create them.
I sometimes use bluetooth if its available but prefer just running a cable from the ios device to the PA/mixer/amp/speaker/etc.
I find Bluetooth implementation spotty across PA manufacturers. Some brands its good enough, other places not so much.
So for audio quality, I find the cable the most consistent.

I use Anytune Pro to handle playing back the mp3's. I can create set lists, loop, change key, tempo. etc.
I find it great for rehearsing and learning tunes also.
Anytune has bluetooth/midi implementation so you can used a midi/bluetooth pedalboard to control start/stop, next/previous, etc. This is pretty useful if you've got a guitar in your hand.
The software makes gigging with backing tracks easy.

I can easily copy my tunes and setups from one ios device to another. I usually use an ipad as i like the larger screen.
I have an iphone with the same material at the gig in case the ipad goes awol.

I've only done this for about 5 years so don't have the experience of others on this forum.
I can setup my rig in about 2 minutes and everything fits in the side pocket of a gig bag.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195