Print Thread
Go To
#790174 12/17/23 05:30 PM
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hello all!

What exactly does BIAB consider to be a CHORUS?

I'm guessing (based on making my first 18-20 songs now) that BAIB defines a chorus as once through a given set of chord changes & not necessarily the "chorus" as opposed to the "verse" or "bridge" of a song.

MacBook Pro M3 Max Sonoma 14.1.2, BIAB Audiophile Edition 2023, Logic ProX 10.8.1, Focusrite 8PreX Interface.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
You've very close.

BIAB was developed as a way to hear songs from jazz fakebooks. We jazz players think of chorus as once through the tune. So, a chorus might be AABA form. You've probably heard a jazz player say "take a chorus" which means, take a solo over the tune.

There are a lot of folks who don't think that way, so over the decades a few things have been added to make it easier if not exactly direct. Things like the conductor, song form selecting sections, the ability to name a section. I'm sure others are more qualified to give more examples and instructions (the jazz definition works for me).

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Ok Thanks Matt. Your answer is along the lines of what I was thinking.

where it came up for me was that in trying to use certain features I was getting a message something like "not available for songs with only one chorus" even though I have the full form of the song repeated several times BIAB obviously was seeing then entire song as a single chorus.

MacBook Pro M3 Max Sonoma 14.1.2, BIAB Audiophile Edition 2023, Logic ProX 10.8.1, Focusrite 8PreX Interface.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
That message appears when the rightmost number (number of choruses) is 1.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah... while I retain my usage of the part names verse and chorus as well as bridge, BB doesn't use that nomenclature. Everything is a chorus to BB.

I just let it believe what it wants to believe and go about my merry way doing things the way I have always done.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, but there are some adaptations you can make in BIAB. You don’t have to adopt the jazz definition.

Beginners Forum
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
OK thanks to everyone for the help.

Beginners Forum
M
M
Is it insane I'm watching this 8 years after the fact on a Friday

hussam
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Something fairly significant has been overlooked in this discussion.

No matter what jazz players might use as their vocabulary, most common songs have verses and choruses, per se, meaning that the chorus is different in dynamics than the verse or the bridge, often more busy or more energetic.

Thus if you do a part marker on something that you want to be a chorus then you would make that part marker green by clicking it once so that band in a box knows that it's a chorus and will use the chorus style of the particular style or tracks that you're using.

Those tracks will then become a little bit more energetic with more fills and more drive and that kind of thing so that everyone knows oh yeah we're in the chorus.

I agree it is kind of confusing that they would use the jazz nomenclature on "full song" repeats but I guess it's just shorthand for number of repeats or times through for most people.

I never use those "full song form" repeats as I use the song form feature to lay out the song in its entirety.

However it is important to remember that if you're writing a standard song you usually want your choruses to have a green part marker with most styles so that they actually sound like choruses.

Of course you can choose any number of different part markers and assign different styles to those but for the most part blue means verse or bridge and green means chorus.

This would be an important distinction for anyone who is learning Band in a Box for the first time.

I know this is important because I have helped people set up band in a box who are newbies and when they sent me their SGU files I noticed that the entire song was using blue part markers.

So I suspect that it's something people need to be alerted to if they've just purchased the product.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by David Snyder
No matter what jazz players might use as their vocabulary, most common songs have verses and choruses, per se, meaning that the chorus is different in dynamics than the verse or the bridge, often more busy or more energetic.
... though it probably is the root of much confusion as BIAB makes a kind of hybrid interpretation.

I guess most here will know the following, but if it helps anyone...

Although it isn't by any means a rule, a jazz song usually has a core form, often 32 measures where each of four groups of eight measures have an nominal identifier ... that AABA that Matt mentioned, though there are also other forms, of course. Sometimes there's an intro/"verse" and sometimes a tag/coda/outro. In the AABA, that B section is usually know as the "middle eight" and is often the more energetic style as David describes.

The usual way a song is [Intro] AABA with the written melody, probably multiple AABAs each with an solo, a final AABA with the written melody then the tag/coda/outro.

That all differs a bit from a conventional non-jazz structure, which usually has some mix of intro verses, choruses, bridge, pre-somethings.

The typically simpler for of a jazz song helps with keeping track of where we are in a song whilst various people are doing solos which may vary significantly from the original melody.

I really must try again with that "song form" feature.

Jazz relative beginner, starting at a much older age than was helpful.
Kawai MP6, Korg M50, Ui24R, Saffire Pro 40.
AVL:MXE Linux; Windows 11; Win8.1: Scarletts
BIAB2022 UltraPAK, Reaper, a bunch of stuff.
Beginners Forum
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
for my songs to avoid confusion i just set chorus to one.
then i use layers or bar lettering plus a number eg...
I for intro
V for verse
C for chorus
L for lead
K for key change
O for outtro

etc etc

So verse 3 would be V3 ...second lead break L2 sort of idea
just build your own nomenclature in layers option.
works for me.

frankly without upsetting jazzers and have then jump all over me i think its time to reassess the use of the chorus term as it often confuses new users who think in terms of intro verse chorus lead break bridge outtro whatever. i know it confused me years ago ...when i started with bb.
so i worked out my own nomenclature for different parts of a song.

now that we have the fab new bb tracks view i feel a special track called song sections should be made under the time ruler where people enter names for different song sections eg...verse one or chorus 3 or whatever. see my wishlists sometime to save retyping....where i mention other unique tracks be added to bb like tempo and special drum tracks etc and lyrics track etc ...

ps i dont like how rb does markers cos of time involved in the markers dialog.
with a song sections or markers unique track under the time line...just type in directly on the track intro or verse or chorus wnatever.

happiness.

om 🇨🇦 🇬🇧

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 04/20/24 07:44 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Beginners Forum
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by justanoldmuso
frankly without upsetting jazzers and have then jump all over me i think its time to reassess the use of the chorus term as it often confuses new users who think in terms of intro verse chorus lead break bridge outtro whatever. i know it confused me years ago ...when i started with bb.
As a jazzer, personally I agree. I think the term "chorus" as jazz people use it is different from most other peoples and, yes, causes confusion.

But I'm not sure what other term one would use. Suggestions?
"Song" doesn't seem right because the Intro & outro are part of the song.
"Song body"? A bit clumsy.
"Body"? Maybe.

Beginners Forum
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Gordon.

thats the reason i suggested a freeform special section names track under timeline like one long layer a muso types directly into.

eg fab take five...

..drum intro 4 bars
..piano 4 bars
..sax 8 bars
..sax freeform scat xx bars..
..piano scat xx bars
..staccato piano xx bars
..drum solo xx bars
..return to sax theme xx bars...

etc etc

just an idea for a freeform adaptable special track that caters to all music genres and needs.

happiness.

om

ps.. im watching an old you tube black n white extended version vid of t5...

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 04/21/24 06:47 AM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Beginners Forum
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by justanoldmuso
Gordon.

thats the reason i suggested a freeform special section names track under timeline like one long layer a muso types directly into.

eg fab take five...

..drum intro 4 bars
..piano 4 bars
..sax 8 bars
..sax freeform scat xx bars..
..piano scat xx bars
..staccato piano xx bars
..drum solo xx bars
..return to sax theme xx bars...

etc etc

just an idea for a freeform adaptable special track that caters to all music genres and needs.

happiness.

om

ps.. im watching an old you tube black n white extended version vid of t5...
I'm perfectly happy with your suggestion and method of doing things, but it doesn't cover the common jazz setup of intro, x-times through the chorus/body, outro, which is what the "choruses x N" covers. Jazz people really rather want that x N.

Beginners Forum
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
gordon.

just keep the x N option for jazzers....and freeform sections track under timeline would reflect that....?
question ...from some friends of mine in the past who were jazzers there are often slight variations in different choruses so the sections track could reflect this ?

eg in chorus 3 the piano diverts from the usual or the commercial version eg the blacknwhite vid and thus the sections track the music director or song creator could enter 'piano scat ' ?

thus gordon the sections track could also be used for production notes ?
i use layers currently for this as in 'silent piano for 8 bars note to myself to remind me when laying out a song...ie the sections track is an expansion
of the layers concept ?

just an idea.

om

Last edited by justanoldmuso; Yesterday at 04:14 AM.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Something fairly significant has been overlooked in this discussion...

Everything I would have said was said by David in this post. I picked up BiaB MANY years ago because of the jazz facility, but it's time to adapt old conventions to popular music. No offense intended.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
Beginners Forum
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by DC Ron
Something fairly significant has been overlooked in this discussion...

Everything I would have said was said by David in this post. I picked up BiaB MANY years ago because of the jazz facility, but it's time to adapt old conventions to popular music. No offense intended.
None taken by me, at least.
The "problem" is simply the two different interpretations of the word "chorus".
Perhaps we need a different word, probably for we jazzers. I doubt it'll stop us using the word chorus, but we're already very familiar with the two meanings, so I personally can't see an issue, just a need for a suitable term. YMMV.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
The "problem" is simply the two different interpretations of the word "chorus".
Perhaps we need a different word, probably for we jazzers. I doubt it'll stop us using the word chorus, but we're already very familiar with the two meanings, so I personally can't see an issue, just a need for a suitable term. YMMV.

We don't need a different word IMHO. I believe all musicians can learn the different between the two definitions of the word chorus. After all in the English language there are many confusing terms, like to, too, and two, their and there, who and whom (the hardest one) etc. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Originally Posted by MarioD
We don't need a different word IMHO. I believe all musicians can learn the different between the two definitions of the word chorus. After all in the English language there are many confusing terms, like to, too, and two, their and there, who and whom (the hardest one) etc. YMMV
My initial post on this thread was simply trying to explain in more detail how the jazz use of "chorus" in a song structure differs from most other uses of "chorus" in a song structure. I then seem to have allowed myself to be dragged into a discussion of pros, cons and alternatives. There are also other uses of the word.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
Originally Posted by MarioD
My initial post on this thread was simply trying to explain in more detail how the jazz use of "chorus" in a song structure differs from most other uses of "chorus" in a song structure. I then seem to have allowed myself to be dragged into a discussion of pros, cons and alternatives. There are also other uses of the word.

I feel your pain as I have been dragged into conversations where I should have just kept my big mouth shut!

I do know that they only definition of the word chorus that matters is that a chorus is a group of people singing together. Wait, or is that a choir? Now my head hurts grin grin

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,031
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian
38,514 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185