Print Thread
Go To
#578093 01/27/20 06:55 AM
Songwriting
mrgeeze Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Played some music with a couple of guys last night.
One fellow has some good tunes. Not much of an arranger.
Songs wander a bit.

I Mentioned the idea of charting out some of his stuff so we could work up arrangements and learn tunes faster.
He's interested but has little knowledge.

Wondering if any forum members know any videos links or sites that might demonstrate a simple concise way of charting out songs. I found one online but its specific to a drummer's view of tune.
Need more of a singer songwriter approach.
His stuff is fairly common intro/verse/chorus perhaps a bridge stuff.

Charting them out in BIAB is too much work at this point.
Really just want to do it on paper to start.
Chord changes over bars is mostly what we need.

I'm happy to work with him to get started but I don't want responsibility for charting out 50 tunes. Its really his job
If I help get him the tools, show him how to use them, and he does the work,perhaps I'll use the arrangements to build backing tracks in BIAB.

I'd like to help him and ultimately play out on his book.

I'll also need to find him a metronome.

Thanks

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
THE best way to do this is to learn the Nashville Number System.

It is easy to learn.

If everyone learns it (again...not hard), the band can almost immediately play what is expected (from reading the chart - so easy to read!!)

I'd recommend the original Nashville Number System "bible" - by Chas Williams.

https://www.amazon.com/Nashville-Number-System-Chas-Williams/dp/0963090674

And there are untold numbers of YouTube video that can help you "get it" quickly...

Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey, fj. I have the Nashville Number System Fake Book by Hal Leonard. It's been helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1495014096/

Do you know if there is sufficient additional info in the Williams book for me to pick that up as well.

TIA

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I haven't seen the Hal Leonard book. From the description it seems like it must have a relatively short, quick explanation of the system and then gives you charts of 200 songs.

The Chas Williams book has 38 pages explaining the system. So I doubt the Fake book could cover all aspects of the system (though it is not a complicated system). Reading that many charts - the 200 in the Fake book - (if written correctly) could certainly teach you a lot about it.
The remainder of the Chas Williams book (mine has 80 pages total) is handwritten charts from the Nashville elite who were the first to use it extensively...

Pretty much everyone in Nashville learns it from the Chas Williams book. It is the "standard".

Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks. I'll pick it up.

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
While you are at it, I'd get him started with Band in a Box as soon as possible, so he can learn to apply the 1-4-5-6minor, hear the arrangements, and become familiar with the 4, 8, 12 and 16 bar format, which is most songs. You wouldn't really be doing him a favor by doing it for him.
Back in the day, singer/songwriters sang along while strumming the chords and marking up the lyrics one-two-three-four. That wandering indicates he needs work in meters -- poetry.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Songwriting
mrgeeze Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
edshaw,
I appreciate your comment.
You are spot on about poetic meter. Not sure iambic pentameter is in his vocabulary.

I personally arrange a lot of my own stuff directly on biab. I find it an extremely useful tool for working through alternate harmonies as well as the overall song arrangement. I'm just not sure of the resources and/or technical capabilities of the guy to handle biab. Really don't wish to get into tech support yet/again.

The Nashville number system is useful to me as a player but may not apply here either.

I think step one is just music paper, bar lines for measures, chords and some rudimentary explanation of intro, verse, chorus, bridge.
A pencil with a big eraser and a metronome.

Give him enough to get started and see what he does with it.
If he rises to the occasion, help him some more.
If he doesn't, time to move on.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Songwriting
mrgeeze Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Justin comes through again!

https://app.box.com/s/xy8xrwp3zmr816rpak2t1ou84eqvwe8q

This website has so much information.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I think you are moving in on the right decision, mrgeeze, on that. That staff paper that you turned up looks like the ticket. It has room for the lyrics and you could even note the rhythms in the bars, or measures, with hash tags. He'll be composing like a pro in no time.

Last edited by edshaw; 01/29/20 04:16 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Songwriting
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Will you please post the specific
link to the site that help you generate the chart The link points to

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Here's my approach to this;

I first look to see if a relationship with this artist is going to work. What's his commitment level? How often can we get together? Is he stubborn about not letting me change his songs? Is it a genre that I feel good working in? Are his songs put together well enough to work with? Is he flexible and willing to relearn the song/s the way I/we arrange them? Does he pay? Many other factors. The last thing I want to do is commit my time and effort on a project that dies while I'm in the middle of it.

If all seems well enough I try to pick his simplest or perhaps highest potential song to work with for starters. I don't want that to be the one he is working on right now and all excited about and I don't want the one he is stuck on having trouble completing. I want to start with something he's been singing for a while and has his lyrics memorized.

I have him write out the lyrics and chords if he knows them.
I record a basic mono track on one microphone or a cell phone of him singing and playing the song on whatever his instrument is.
I then "fix" the song. That is; I put his phrasing in time, his notes and chords into a key, I decide on a tempo, I arrange it into verses, chorus, bridge, etc,... Or, it might be a strophic type of song or a 12 bar blues which tend to fall into their own arrangements. I do this song fixing on acoustic guitar in private while he is not around to give input or interrupt my flow. BTW, I don't tell him I am going to fix the song. I don't use that word with him. I just say,"okay, now that I have your recording, your lyrics and chords let me see what I can do with it this week." I then basically learn his song but my way. And, that depends how sloppy it was when I got a hold of it. Make a new chord chart and a basic recording with a metronome (or basic drum beat), acoustic guitar and me singing it.
I want it to sound pretty good when he hears me sing it or hears my recorded arrangement of it. Fortunately I'm a decent guitarist and have a pretty good voice so that helps. I also use some compression, EQ, reverb and such so it doesn't sound completely dry.
By now, enough time has gone into it that I want to see if it passes his smell test. I send him an updated song/chord chart and an mp3 and wait.
Or, if I think I can come up with a basic Band In A Box arrangement quickly I'll do that, line up my guitar and vocal track with it and send him that. But, the BIAB style I use might be to far from what he intends the song to be. It's often better to keep it similar to his melody and basic guitar strumming with a very basic drum beat or metronome. Let the band turn it into their own style of song.
At this point I have to let him talk and I listen for his feedback. This will tell me if we're on the right track or not.
If he likes it, his band can learn it that way or take it from there and do it their way. At least the other musicians have something in a consistent time signature and key and format.
If they want to play faster or slower, put in a guitar solo or something or add a character they can create that during rehearsal.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Here's an example of a song chart after I'm done with it. Copy/paste from word pad. I don't have a copy of the song writers' penciled version any longer.

Morgan and Megan’s Wedding Song written by Steve Gabay

C G Am F
Spirit fill us with your wisdom, two hearts joined unto your kingdom
C G Am F
We proclaim this wedding day in your presence we want to say
C G Am F
Blessed are you, together and free, from the low desert to the sea
C G Am F
We shall sing to you with love, filled with Mercy, free as a dove

C G Am F
Let our hearts rejoice today, for your words shall lead our way
C G Am F
They are two, together as one, Thank you Father, Spirit and Son
C G Am F
We shall sing, as fresh new rain, mighty is Your Holy Name
C G Am F
As two doves will form a pair, the angels sing up in the air

C G Am F
We shallsing to you with Love, Praising your Name, below and above
C G Am F
Let our hearts, fill each day, giving thanks we now pray
C G Am F
This is Your day, this blessed day

For an example on this song go to www.soundcloud.com and search for Steven Gabbay. You will find the strummed acoustic version and an arrangement with piano, drums, bass, male and female vocals. In this case it's Bart on vocals and acoustic guitar. Stephany on vocals and piano. The rest of it came from BIAB and me editing Stephany's piano midi and tweeking it in Reaper.

Edit; apparently when I copy/paste it from word to the forum it takes out the blank spaces between the chords which are above the lyrics.

Last edited by Tobias; 01/31/20 05:10 PM.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
After rereading your post it sounds like he just needs to type out the songs on word pad. PM me your email address and I'll send you a handful of song chart examples I made. Every body I have ever played with at any skill level can follow my charts. If he uses my same format it should be easy for every one.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,307
Posts731,359
Members38,411
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213