Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Do people do collaborations on this forum? I have been more interested in writing lyrics than in actual recording lately. Do people record songs using other's lyrics? And, if so, how would I go about posting my lyrics, etc. (i.e., is there a special section on the forum for such things)?

Last edited by jptjptjpt; 02/18/20 05:17 AM.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Yes....

Many here do collaborate in one aspect or another.
If you're desirous of collaboration you might post your request and what you're interested in acccomplishing here in the "Song Writing" forum.

Maybe await other responses in case they might suggest a different forum in the collaboration arena.

Welcome....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 02/18/20 05:40 AM.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I've been told this is the "correct" forum for requests along this line.

That said, I've done a number of collaborations though always as the (primary) lyricist. Of the attempts at collaboration I've made here on THIS forum, I am batting 1 for 6. That's OK.

Lately with BIAB the more experiment driven pieces I've been up to are way outstripping any lyrical ideas I've been able to finish. It might be fun to try things the other way and write a piece for lyrics. Mind you, I'm not a great singer and might not be able to do much more than demo the song's vocal and vocal melody.

Make clear what you are looking for, start to finish. There are many ways to collaborate. There are pitfalls, and some experiences are better than others no matter the musical outcome. PM me if interested. Or ask here for clarification.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Songwriting
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you everyone. I have worked on collaborations before, albeit not on this forum. The reasons I am seeking to write lyrics now (and not any music) are twofold. The first reason is that I am in creative slump and I am trying to do something musical every day (write lyrics, play guitar, etc.). The second reason is that I am not that good at arranging song (chord structure, etc.), or at least I don't think I am (and maybe that's part of the slump). Also, my PC is dying and I am having trouble recording anything these days.

Here are the rules that I always lay down on collaborations:

1. No obligations
2. No rush
3. All work is 50-50 split

I guess I'll post my lyrics on this room in the forum and when someone shows interest, I'll remove the lyrics. That might work.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
Songwriting
Y
Y
Hello, guys. My name is Yan and I'm from Bulgaria, Sofia.
I recently bought BIAB and my main occupation in music is singing.

I could record vocals for songs. The deal may be for me to obtain the right to perform the song in gigs.

If requested, I can send a demo of my singing.
Regards, Yan.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Thank you everyone. I have worked on collaborations before, albeit not on this forum. The reasons I am seeking to write lyrics now (and not any music) are twofold. The first reason is that I am in creative slump and I am trying to do something musical every day (write lyrics, play guitar, etc.). The second reason is that I am not that good at arranging song (chord structure, etc.), or at least I don't think I am (and maybe that's part of the slump). Also, my PC is dying and I am having trouble recording anything these days.

Here are the rules that I always lay down on collaborations:

1. No obligations
2. No rush
3. All work is 50-50 split

I guess I'll post my lyrics on this room in the forum and when someone shows interest, I'll remove the lyrics. That might work.

So yeah, that sounds about right. I'd add to that one of my rules in addition....

4. Nothing is sacred. Meaning everything can be changed and edited as needed. If it is sacred, there has to be a damn fine reason to support it.

The best way to get up with folks....

1. You can start a new thread and of course pop in your lyrics or ideas to see if anyone is interested..... in other words, casting a wide net.

2. You can listen to the work of others here and see whose writing is in line with the ideas you have written and them contact them via private message. This takes longer, I think, because you have to take the time to see who's here, make a list, visit their websites and listen to several songs or more and then contact them individually. I think this might be the better way to work....I've used this method and had several folks beg out, say they were too busy, didn't like the idea, or, back out after we started. Not withstanding all that, there's been several that worked, we clicked, and amazing music came out of it.

I say, yep.... go for it.

Personally, I'm not as good with lyrics and most of my collabs have been with folks who could write lyrics better than me.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey JPT,
I have done a couple collaborations here and they went really well. So wish you the best in your endeavors.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Hey JPT,
I have done a couple collaborations here and they went really well. So wish you the best in your endeavors.

I also have done a few collaborations with BiaB folks and others. I've never had a problem because if what I do works fine. If it doesn't work, fine. In a collaboration I am just a hired hand trying to improve, if I can, their song. Period!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
The second reason is that I am not that good at arranging song (chord structure, etc.), or at least I don't think I am (and maybe that's part of the slump). Also, my PC is dying and I am having trouble recording anything these days.

JPTx3: This is where Band in a Box can really help you overcome those shortcomings in what is called "arrangement." That's when the song lends itself to recognizable arrangement of lines, measures, and keys. The magic of today's music is just how much creative latitude is permitted within our limitations of 3/4 and 4/4 time. The greatest single roadblock to putting lyrics to music is the poet's disregard of the intended musical form.
This won't do you much good if your computer is dying. As long as your gittar holds out, though, you'll be in business. Apparently Ken Burns' "History of Country Music" goes into the theory. You can also find thousands of backing tracks, many made in band in a box, that musicians use to practice with and composers such as yourself use to write lyrics to. I suggest this not as and end, but as a way to improve your collabs, to whip your poems into shape. Words people and Music people have been collaborating for centuries.
Put up some words and give it a shot.

Last edited by edshaw; 03/14/20 03:22 PM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
It so happens that not long ago I actually made a specific request (in that childishly named "Wishlist" forum) for PG to simply add a designated "Collaborations" forum for this very purpose! - It gave only two feedbacks from other users, that's how (not!) invested people seem to be in this concept, and I must admit that rather surprised me, not to mention disappointed.

So I guess the cases of collaborations continue to be flukes & chances as they have been around here so far smirk

EDIT: p.s, To the original poster: Almost all my music is instrumental, but not necessarily because I wanted them to be but rather because I'm really bad at lyrics... and my singing is even worse, make my cat jump out the window crazy

Last edited by Icelander; 03/16/20 06:07 AM. Reason: Afterthought

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
I've done a couple collaborations on this forum and they went really well and it was just sort of by chance.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199