Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Hi everyone! I debated where to put this. It didn't seem like the woodshedding forum was the right place, and since it's directly related to my song writing I figured I would just ask here.

What is the fastest reasonable tempo to expect a guitarist to play 16th note runs? My song is at 155 bpm and I know a pianist or violinist could play them that fast. I'd never expect a bass to be anything but muddy at that speed, but I have no idea about a guitar. Is it reasonable to expect 16ths out of a guitarist's fingers any faster than 120 bpm? Will the guitar strings support anything faster, or will they get muddy like a bass would?

The MIDI I brought into my song plays the notes clean, sharp, and distinct--but a computer can do a lot of things human fingers cannot. I suspect that maybe a lot of these notes might be bends and slides in the hands of a real guitar player, but there was no way to actually write that into my notation software.

I really appreciate your input on this. It's kinda tough, writing for instruments I don't know how to play.

Love is always worth the risk.

HP laptop; Windows 10 Home 64 bit; core i5; 2.40 Ghz; 8 GB RAM; 256 GB hard drive; BIAB 2021 Build 835.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
It depends on the player. As a bassist, I would have had no problems — but I held a symphony chair on the double bass so my experience is meaningless.

I played for nearly 50 years and cannot tell you what average would be. I suspect that many of the pros in my circle are above whatever that is while many are below that.

I would get a metronome app that lets you tap in tempi — many free ones out there — and tap along as you listen. I like Pro Metronome and have never gone with the in-app paid upgrades. You'll figure out pretty quickly what's too fast for those who would play your music.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
It depends on the player. As a bassist, I would have had no problems — but I held a symphony chair on the double bass so my experience is meaningless.

So NOT meaningless!! It tells me the upper limit from a really skilled professional, and also corrects my misapprehension about the bass. I've been maybe simplifying my bass lines too much--the last low instrument I wrote for was tuba and that would definitely be either mud or have to be a lip slur on tuba! Even for college level horn players, my teacher said the upper limit on 16ths was 120--and I haven't had anything else to go by, so I really appreciate your input on strings!

I would get a metronome app that lets you tap in tempi — many free ones out there — and tap along as you listen. I like Pro Metronome and have never gone with the in-app paid upgrades. You'll figure out pretty quickly what's too fast for those who would play your music.

Aaack, no, I can't. I have bilateral CTS and it's impossible for me to move my fingers that fast. If it weren't for the carpal tunnels, believe me, I'd be making a living playing sax.

Well now I know that what I wrote isn't impossible, even if it's doggoned difficult. Thank you, Mike!! I truly appreciate it!

HP laptop; Windows 10 Home 64 bit; core i5; 2.40 Ghz; 8 GB RAM; 256 GB hard drive; BIAB 2021 Build 835.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Cathie, I piked this up on an Internet search. It says 200BPM:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Last edited by MarioD; 05/03/21 01:14 PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Wow!!! Thank you Mario!! I appreciate that!! Guess I'm going to just keep writing what I hear and trust it'll be okay.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Cathie
Wow!!! Thank you Mario!! I appreciate that!! Guess I'm going to just keep writing what I hear and trust it'll be okay.

Sounds good to me. Just don't expect me to play that fast. My old arthritic hands won't let me mad

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Sounds good to me. Just don't expect me to play that fast. My old arthritic hands won't let me mad

TOTALLY get that!! I grieved a long time over the carpal tunnel stuff, knowing what it cost me.

Last edited by Cathie; 05/03/21 03:25 PM. Reason: typo

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Quote:
Aaack, no, I can't. I have bilateral CTS and it's impossible for me to move my fingers that fast.
N
o, no, no — you misunderstand! Tap the quarter notes. If you're hearing 16th notes, multiply x 4 or 8 if you're hearing 32nd notes.

It's simple math. I should have been more clear.

Back to the bass. When Stanley Clarke's first solo album came out, I was 20. After my friends and I heard Spanish Phases... and picked our jaws off the ground, we came to our senses and figured out that it was possible for human beings to play pizzicato like that — he could (we could play that fast with a with a bow—kind'a have to for Beethoven's 6th). Though none of us developed his mastery of technique (or ever needed it), we taught each other to shred decently — just a matter of training our right hands.

If you've never heard this, prepare to be blown away.

Stanley Clarke - Spanish Phases For Strings & Bass on YouTube

Except for the occasional electric bass solo in fusion bands where showing off was what one did, I never played like that. The only blisteringly fast recording I ever made was on nylon stringed guitar — analog tape where it couldn't be faked. I never owned an electric I could play as fast

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Cathie are you composing your song with MIDI and a MIDI controller or a notation program?

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Amazon just got approved for drone deliveries. We now have skeet shooting with prizes!
Is that new or have I been missing it?

'Bout fell out out my chair when I saw it.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Amazon just got approved for drone deliveries. We now have skeet shooting with prizes!
Is that new or have I been missing it?

'Bout fell out out my chair when I saw it.

It's true:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-Air/b?node=8037720011

Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Thank you for the link, Mike!! No, I've not heard it before; got it playing as I type. He's got some nimble fingers, there!

I'm not sure I'd be able to tell if I'm asking too much, even using a metronome. I know my tempo as soon as I write the initial melody; just didn't know the physical limitations of human hands interacting with strings. But now I know, so thank you! Really interesting point about acoustic guitars being faster than electric guitars. Classical and Spanish guitar music is certainly filled with fast runs and riffs. Do you think it's the string weight that makes the difference? I've noticed there are varying weights (hope that's the right term) for electric guitar strings.

Mario, I write lead sheets and arrangements in a notation program. The original melody and chords get worked out on my keyboard first, but once I start writing parts it's all on the computer. I wish so much that I could play this fast, because I could just set the keyboard voice to blues guitar and go for it, bring in an audio that would fit the rock style, but my fingers just can't fly like that anymore. And I remember that my keyboard can work as a MIDI controller, but I've never explored that. BIAB is my first foray into anything MIDI.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Cathie, if you are working with MIDI then tempo is not relevant. By that I mean the sound will be the same regardless of tempo. So lets say you have a fast 155 BPM song that has a long 16th note guitar run in it. Slow the tempo down to say 40 BPM, play said run, and then return the tempo to 155 BPM. The guitar sound will be identical at both BPMs. Presto you have your fast guitar riff that you played!

If you already knew this then sorry for the redundancy.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Cathy,

As a guitar player, playing 16ths at 155 is going to be according to the skill level of the player. Whether it's 16th, 32nds, or 64ths is totally dependent upon the player's skills.

I recently did a song at 155bpm and there's some pretty fast playing in the song. Both tapping as well as single stroke picking.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=649840#Post649840

https://soundcloud.com/herb-hartley/we-aint-got-there-yet-1

Hope this helps answer your question.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/05/21 09:47 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
If you already knew this then sorry for the redundancy.

Oh my word I had NO idea!! So you're saying if I play the part myself fairly slowly, using the keyboard as my MIDI controller, I can change the tempo of the MIDI afterwards? Except I don't know how I would keep the guitar tone if I didn't record it as audio. I have no objections to MIDI itself, but the problem I keep having is that the MIDI guitar patches available to me are all clean, and the rock style is distorted, so they don't fit together well.

I know this is probably operator error again. There must be some way to get a guitar patch for a rock song. Sheesh. Still slidin' down that slippery mountain slope.

Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cathy,

As a guitar player, playing 16ths at 155 is going to be according to the skill level of the player. Whether it's 16th, 32nds, or 64ths is totally dependent upon the player's skills.

I recently did a song at 155bpm and there's some pretty fast playing in the song. Both tapping as well as single stroke picking.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=649840#Post649840

https://soundcloud.com/herb-hartley/we-aint-got-there-yet-1

Hope this helps answer your question.

HOLY CANNOLI, Herb!! That's fantastic!! And yes, I heard those notes flashing by! So amazing! Your song tells me what I wrote is totally playable by a skilled guitarist, and that's good enough for me. Thanks again!!!

I can, btw, totally see this being played in an ampitheater or stadium. Dunno what it takes to license a song and get it heard, but I think there's gotta be a band that would want this one.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Cathie

Oh my word I had NO idea!! So you're saying if I play the part myself fairly slowly, using the keyboard as my MIDI controller, I can change the tempo of the MIDI afterwards? Except I don't know how I would keep the guitar tone if I didn't record it as audio. I have no objections to MIDI itself, but the problem I keep having is that the MIDI guitar patches available to me are all clean, and the rock style is distorted, so they don't fit together well.

I know this is probably operator error again. There must be some way to get a guitar patch for a rock song. Sheesh. Still slidin' down that slippery mountain slope.

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. But it will only work with MIDI. It will not work with audio.

There are a lot of guitar patches or VSTis available so I'm sure you could find at least one that would work for you. Also note that you can take a MIDI acoustic guitar, convert to audio, and run it through an amp simulation and completely change the guitar's tone to an electric.

https://www.producersphere.com/best-free-guitar-vst-plugins/

https://www.musicindustryhowto.com/free-guitar-vst-plugins/

https://thehomerecordings.com/free-guitar-vst-plugins/

Also note that the free Kontakt Player includes some guitar and bass patches:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-6-player/

As does the free Sampletank:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/index.php?R=INIT&FV=free-software-related-products&CV=Other%20Filter&PSEL=freesoftware

Plus there are a ton of guitar VSTis and patches for the full and free versions of Kontakt for sale. Note if you get the free Kontakt Player and want to purchase some guitar patches make sure that the docs/web site say that it is Kontakt Player ready. Some patches are for the full version of Kontakt.

I know very little about Sampletank. I have the free version but only to use the previous version of Mellotron that I have.

Also the free Amplitube is a good amp sim to have.

Note that I have the full version of Kontakt and Amplitube.

{edit} If you need help feel free to ask.

Last edited by MarioD; 05/05/21 12:43 PM.

Songwriting
C
Cathie Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Oh my GOSH Mario, how kind!!! I wouldn't have known what to look for, nor whether anything I found was any good. I emailed the post to myself so I won't lose it.

Y'all are blowing me away with your kindness. Thank you to everyone who's taken the time to help me!!

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Quote:
Dunno what it takes to license a song and get it heard, …
Live? Not your issue as long as the promoter or venue is licensed with the PRO or the song’ publisher.

Quote:
I know very little about Sampletank. I have the free version …
Unlike Kontakt, The SampleTank instrument player is free. The various price points are for the number of licensed libraries you get but the player is the same for all of them. UVI is the same.

They don’t make this very clear. I learned this after doing a major upgrade that included ST3 and then had major problems in Mojave. SampleTank 4 had just come out and I was not happy about having to upgrade something I bought a few weeks earlier. Ok… I’ll download ST4 CS (the free version) since it comes with some libraries, right? Every problem I was having went away since all of my libraries now worked in ST4. That’s when I finally understood. I did need an upgrade but the one I needed was free. Meanwhile, IK Support was trying to help me get ST3 working over Mojave. BTW, 4 has a learning curve so watch the intro videos.

Back to the OP, SampleTank 4 CS, UVI Player and the free version of Kontakt/Guitar Rig all come with libraries. After you get familiar with these and MIDI basics, they and other companies have plenty to sell you — don’t worry, they’ll email you a lot. The learning period is on their dime, not yours.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Cathy,

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, a skilled guitar player can easily play that and more.

If you are doing this with MIDI, you can do as Mario mentioned. Slow it down and get the notes in there that you want. In a DAW like sonar, it is possible to get 128th note resolution (or higher) if you really need that kind of speed. Add the parts and notes you need and then speed it up.

I heard what you said about keeping the tone like you want. Here's your solution. REAL STRAT. I've heard folks who were using this and as a guitarist it was really difficult to tell that it wasn't actually a real guitar or player. Since it triggers off midi, you can record the parts slowly and then speed it up. RS doesn't care, and since the samples are not affected by tempo, like audio, you get the tone you want at any speed.

It's not free, but it's also not killer expensive. Point is, it will do what you want.

Listen to this demo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tk3Z3Tasuw

BTW.... the shaky video is for commercial effect. The real VST doesn't jump around like that.

Hope you get the song done the way you hear it.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/06/21 04:56 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,531
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200