Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#668455 08/14/21 12:39 AM
Songwriting
J
OP Offline
J
I've searched the forum for pasts posts on copyright issues using realtracks. The consensus seems to be that we are free to copyright original songs using real tracks.

However, that is on PA copyrights. What about SR copyrights, which is the copyright on the physical recording?

See the problem? I'm into jazzy songs, and some of my BiaB backing tracks use licks from horn players.

The problem is, those licks are in a publicly ( to BIAB owners) accessible database.

I"ve done a lot of copyrighting in my 70 years on this earth, and copyright law says you can't copyright something that has been done before.

In other words, the SR copyright cannot possibly protect the instrumental tracks, only the chords words and melody, only that which a PA copyright would normally protect.

The tracks, for SR copyright purposes, are in the public domain.

The tracks themselves, are not unique, only the 'sequence' is unique ( the chord progression, if, indeed, it is unique, which it wouldn't be on most blues songs ).

NOte that this issue has never been challenged in court, as far as I know, but since all owners of a copy of BIAB have access to the same instrumental tracks, and they are prerecorded, that means those recordings are copyrighted by default but nevermind that PGMUSE grants public use of them. So that means 'public domain' ( to BiAB owners ). Now, PGMUSIC grants us use of them, and use of them for copyrighting the song, but no mention of copyrighting the actual recording, which is what a 'sound recording' copyright does ( an SR copyright ).

So, why would I want an SR copyright? I would want an SR copyright when licensing masters for Film and TV deals. And I'm finding out they don't know about BIAB, and the copyright issues. Apparently this is new copyright territory.

My question is this: Am I correct? ( I don't see how I am incorrect, though, given what I know about copyrighting SR copyright recordings).

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

This is from the website:

https://www.pgmusic.com/salesfaq1.htm#22

This is an earlier post.

If anyone from PG wants to re-clarify regarding the "Sound Recording" issue, I would be interested as well. Just for "one last time..." I guess.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=287872&page=1

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
When in doubt concerning copyright law, consult a copyright attorney for an expert opinion. Every situation is different. An attorney may be able to better look over PG Music's copyright information and a library's requirements and then be able to explain the source of your audio content better than you.

Each film and sound library has their own unique set of rules and guidelines they follow regarding content. You may find one allows the use of third party audio while another does not.

Some libraries will view RealTracks as loops while others will view them the same as session musicians for hire. The viewpoint they choose will likely determine the set of internal rules and guidelines a library follows.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Can someone from PG Music please chime in here?

There has to be a legal answer, and to be sure PG Music has researched this out the yin-yang.

If there are any cases in which BIAB is considered "third party audio" that could be in violation of any sync licensing rules, no one I know would touch it with a ten-foot pole.

I would like PG to present us with legal definitions and up to date rulings that one can stake a claim on, now that this has been raised.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Can someone from PG Music please chime in here?

There has to be a legal answer, and to be sure PG Music has researched this out the yin-yang.

If there are any cases in which BIAB is considered "third party audio" that could be in violation of any sync licensing rules, no one I know would touch it with a ten-foot pole.

I would like PG to present us with legal definitions and up to date rulings that one can stake a claim on, now that this has been raised.

That's funny. PG Music has commented on this before as has been noted.

If you want precise legal definitions, probably best to have your attorneys contact theirs. Otherwise, their ELUA and any previous public explanations will likely have to suffice.

Feel free to ignore any advice from armchair experts who are not actual spokespersons of PGM, even those who have worked in music industry legal departments like I.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
FWIW from somebody older than you smile

As everyone is aware BiaB tracks do mix it up a bit with regens and don't always sound the same (and many of us comp them up) but as others have alluded to I don't think that matters.

It seems to me, forgive me if wrong, that what you are describing could be applied to any free loop??

And another FWIW, we have 28 songs licensed some by world wide companies and all use BiaB tracks. The bulk of our catalog is also on Youtube. Not once have we ever had anyone question the source of the tracks, etc.

As other's have alluded to this question has appeared with some regularity over the decade that we've been members here and the consensus is always that if you buy the product you own what you create with it. Heck that's a HUGE part of PG Music's business model.

Bud

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Use the tracks. PG has given you that right as long as you are not doing covers. For covers, you must adhere to the copyright laws. For original songs, you own the rights to the tracks you create.

As has been said by others having music published, I also have tracks that were and are being used commercially on TV and in films. There have been no problems regrading the use of any of my tracks. Knowing that PG has given me the right to use them, I simply claim them as my own and that I own 100% of the controlling interest and rights. That's all the publishers and libraries want to know. It's in the contract in writing and that's all that matters.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Journeyman
Journeyman
#metoo - I never ran into any infringement questions about my use of BIAB tracks.

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
https://www.pgmusic.com/salesfaq5.htm#23

23. Are songs that I create with Band-in-a-Box or RealBand copyrighted?

The arrangements made by Band-in-a-Box and RealBand are yours, and your songs may be used freely as long as they don't infringe upon the intellectual property rights of others.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 09/09/21 08:42 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

Songwriting
I
I
Thank you for this.

Songwriting
Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
As has been pointed out before, an online forum is not a replacement for real legal expertise, but I think this is clear that PG music has stated you can use these as you wish as long as you don't infringe on someone else's copyright, such as cover songs. You need permission to record those and as you know it is not that hard to obtain for most music. Some artists are very protective of their work as is their right, but most songs are available for licensing through the various entities that do that.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
The OP's actual question was:

"However, that is on PA copyrights. What about SR copyrights, which is the copyright on the physical recording?"

I have had an SR copyright denied,because they wanted a release from every musician performing on the tracks. It doesn't matter what PG Music says, it's all down to the bureaucrat that is reviewing the application.

Regards,

Bob

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Throwing a spanner in the works here, It's all very well PG Or other companies such as Toontrack with its Ezkeys granting copyright, but if a user was to write a song with the samples from one of these programs, and got it included in a movie, and another user had written a similar kind of song (because the samples are limited in each program)

One user could end up suing another.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Songwriting
Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Throwing a spanner in the works here, It's all very well PG Or other companies such as Toontrack with its Ezkeys granting copyright, but if a user was to write a song with the samples from one of these programs, and got it included in a movie, and another user had written a similar kind of song (because the samples are limited in each program)

One user could end up suing another.

Even though the one user did nothing to infringe on the other user as they were not trying to get there song in the movie. The copyright laws are archaic and ultimately flawed but nothing will ever change.
Just like copyright on 32 measures of rest followed by 1 eighth note can be obtained. Makes no sense whatever.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.
Songwriting
Journeyman
Online Content
Journeyman
Unless you are a huge artist, or your work is always being used in movies and TV spending the money to register a copyright is mostly a waste of your money and time. Your copyright exists as soon as you create the music. It is the registering of that copyright that the government does so poorly.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Put it out on the forum, post it to the net, send yourself a registered copy, but don't count on that as legal protection. Music and art has gotten to be cut throat. The US Copyright office permits collections, I think 10 or 12, for the same price as one. Cost thereby reduced to a few dollars per song. Free Course

Last edited by edshaw; 10/07/21 08:56 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I talked to an entertainment lawyer once who does nothing but this kind of stuff all day.

He said, you know what David, I hope you do write a great hit worthy song and somebody steals it. I pray to God that you write that song and post it to Soundcloud and someone steals it and then posts their song to Soundcloud 3 days later and then has a big hit on the radio with the song they stole from you.

I really want that to happen to you David.

Because it will be the best day of your life.

And mine.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Complication?
PGMusic is a Canadian Company and we're from all over.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Put it out on the forum, post it to the net, send yourself a registered copy, but don't count on that as legal protection. Music and art has gotten to be cut throat. The US Copyright office permits collections, I think 10 or 12, for the same price as one. Cost thereby reduced to a few dollars per song. Free Course

No! By oversimplifying the subject, you've gotten it wrong.

Quote:
US Copyright office permits collections, I think 10 or 12

You may register up to 10 works on a Form PA or SR/PA — Unpublished only. Published works are one to a PA only — if PA is checked on an SR, only the first is protected. You can register multiple recordings on an SR but the rights to the songs will not be protected.

You do not need to register unpublished works but registering them establishes date of creation and entitles you to other protections.

Quote:
Put it out on the forum, post it to the net

Posting is publishing because you've made it available to the public. If you publish, you lose all protections you were entitled to for unpublished works. Since you've lost those rights, no reason to register them on a Form PA Unpublished — nothing to protect.

Published works must have individual Copyright registrations to be properly protected. Your rights to published works begin the date that the Library of Congress uses on the processed certificate and not before (recent Supreme Court ruling cleared up long standing confusion on this point).

Quote:
send yourself a registered copy, but don't count on that as legal protection

There is absolutely no reason to do this. Other than the waste of time and postage, that doesn't count for anything at all.

I'm betting you didn't watch the Alison course that you linked. If you did, you have now learned about Trademark & Copyright in India.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
I talked to an entertainment lawyer once who does nothing but this kind of stuff all day.

He said, you know what David, I hope you do write a great hit worthy song and somebody steals it. I pray to God that you write that song and post it to Soundcloud and someone steals it and then posts their song to Soundcloud 3 days later and then has a big hit on the radio with the song they stole from you.

I really want that to happen to you David.

Because it will be the best day of your life.

And mine.

Yep... my sentiments exactly.

A guy I worked with one day made a comment intended to be insulting..... knowing I was a musician and a songwriter.... The song Grandma got run over by a Reindeer came on the radio and he says in a laughing manner.... "That sounds like something you would have written. " It was obvious he intended it as an insult. I replied.... yep, I wish I HAD written that because I wouldn't be working here, I'd be rich. He shut up....

www.herbhartley.com

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199