PG Music Home
Been trying a few jazz ballad and other styles and it seems that there are not many other brush drums that do not use "heavily" swirling snares.

Just wondering if there are add-on drum kits only that use more taps and hits rather than swirling?

PS: I have noted that the demo is usually quite a lot different to using these drums in a song where it is rather more pronounced. I'd be happy if PG could produce accurate demos and not ones designed (and heavily produced) to sound good. So you get a 100% accurate representation of what you'll hear in a song!
Originally Posted By: joden
Been trying a few jazz ballad and other styles and it seems that there are not many other brush drums that do not use "heavily" swirling snares.

Probably because that's pretty much how one plays with brushes. Especially on jazz ballads.
Indeed. When someone has the lead during the ballad, I want the drummer to lay so far back that what they are playing doesn't distract. So, a snare that never stops swirling is nice to have... until the "never stops" is noticed by the listener. At that point the swirling snare is now the main distraction. I have a few ways to cut down on this problem:

For more hits on other heads besides the snare, I typically use part markers to change the variation of the real drums to more side stick, etcetera. If the swirly snare is too much or just simply not what I want, I usually abandon ship on that specific RealDrums track and find an alternative RDT that offers multiple variations. I have found that many real drum tracks sound great at tempos far away from their "best" tempos, and with playable real tracks one can create the exact part you want for your project.

You probably don't want to hear this but with MIDI drums YOU control what the drummer does. Thus you can swirl, brush tap, turn the brushes around and do side taps, pull out a stick for a section of the song, etc. This works real well with a good MIDI sound source. YMMV

PS - drum is one instrument that MIDI does extremely well.
+1 Midi Drums
You have the RealDrumChart try it and change it to what you like.
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens

Probably because that's pretty much how one plays with brushes. Especially on jazz ballads.

Agreed, but they are so loud! Compared to the other drum instruments - and no way to edit. I find I need to import over to Reaper and apply some serious efx and EQing to make it easier to listen to.

As I wrote, in the demo tracks the brushes are very well set in the mix. Same drummer/kit in your song, and it's a totally different mix!
Originally Posted By: MarioD
You probably don't want to hear this but with MIDI drums YOU control what the drummer does. Thus you can swirl, brush tap, turn the brushes around and do side taps, pull out a stick for a section of the song, etc. This works real well with a good MIDI sound source. YMMV

Not enough there really. I tried the MIDI option for the drum tracks and there are not a lot of MIDI drum parts I can export the MIDI from. Well, not that I found in the style list.

Not enough there really. I tried the MIDI option for the drum tracks and there are not a lot of MIDI drum parts I can export the MIDI from. Well, not that I found in the style list.

Well, the idea is to do it yourself. Then you can do exactly what you want when you want it. I think that was what Mario was really saying. Not to speak for him of course. He is 100% correct in that MIDI for drums is pretty great. You need a good VST for great sounds of course.
Originally Posted By: etcjoe

Well, the idea is to do it yourself. Then you can do exactly what you want when you want it. I think that was what Mario was really saying. Not to speak for him of course. He is 100% correct in that MIDI for drums is pretty great. You need a good VST for great sounds of course.

That was exactly what I was saying. Replace the swirls that you don't like with a snare hit, side stick, cymbal, any drum or cymbal that you want.
© PG Music Forums