PG Music Home
Posted By: Matti Basic problem with a MIDI keyboard - 02/09/23 09:48 AM
Hi
I am an old BIAB user but have not used the software in years. I have not updated lately and I am running 2014 version. But now I am back in business. I am trying to put systems up and running again.
My gear: Windows PC, Windows version 10, external sound card Roland Quad Capture, external Korg 05R/W synthesizer, Roland MIDI keyboard, active speakers.
Cables: From MIDI keyboard MIDI out goes to sound card MIDI in. From sound card MIDI out goes cable to Korg MIDI in.
MIDI options of BIAB: Using Roland Quad Capture

PROBLEM: If I play keyboard the impulse goes to Korg as there is a light that is blinking at the same time. So the cables should be ok. But there is a sound of a guitar. The front panel of Korg says "Piano". I clicekd "New track" on BIAB. there are 3 instruments active, bass, piano and drums. There is no "guitar" chosen.

This is very basic but I am stuck with this. I want to hear the sound of a piano when I use the keyboard. This is probably a "melody track" problem. Any ideas?

Matti
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Basic problem with a MIDI keyboard - 02/09/23 10:47 AM
Hi Matti,

Try changing the MIDI patch (i.e. sound) to piano on the "Thru" track. See if this helps.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Basic problem with a MIDI keyboard - 02/09/23 12:11 PM
Could this be a hint:

"""
GM (General MIDI) is also present, as a bank in the PROG section. The sounds starting with the letter "G" follow the GM protocol and can be used with thousands of available MIDI files.
"""

If your selected bank is not the GM bank, could it be that the Korg is finding the guitar in another bank?

My Kawai defaults to non-GM, so I see this issue.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Basic problem with a MIDI keyboard - 02/09/23 12:34 PM
Under the Support Tab at the top of this page, you'll find something called 'Patch Maps.' Download the Korg 05R/W '.pat' file and load it into the BB directory on your computer.
It's been so long since I've used BIAB 2014, but there should be a way to load patch files, you may need to consult your documentation. In the current version, if you right click on any of the instrument parts (at the very top), you can select something called 'Select Patch' or something like that. I'd have to go back and look up the documentation for exactly how to do it. That way, you'll be able to access all your higher banks from within BIAB, and get exactly the sound you're looking for.

Also, make sure that you're sending on the proper channels.

Try this and get back to us.

Gary
Posted By: Matti Re: Basic problem with a MIDI keyboard - 02/09/23 04:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Matti,

Try changing the MIDI patch (i.e. sound) to piano on the "Thru" track. See if this helps.

Regards,
Noel

I found the Thru track and could change the instrument easily. Thank you all for your comments.
© PG Music Forums