PG Music Home
I have a song that the main progression is Dm / Cadd9 / G. When I try to add the Cadd9 it gets changed to a Cadd2. Okay I get that "technically" it's supposed to be the same thing but I tell you it ain't. It just doesn't sound like what I'm actually playing on the guitar. There are a couple other chords I have an issue with one being an E7 - (played at the 5th fret in the shape of a C7) and a D7 which would be the same only a full step down the neck. Is there any way to force BiaB to do this?

I tried to attach a couple pis of the chords - hopefully they go through

EDIT - The D# in the second pic should be an E

Attached picture C-Major Add 9th.png
Attached picture E7.png
Short answer, No.

Longer answer: you can use the Chord Builder to see all the chord types that are supported.

In BIAB, the 2 chord and the add2 chord are used for several other unsupported types. Add9 is add2. Sus2 is 2. If you want to know the exact details, read a file called pgshortc.txt

You may also enjoy reading a few tips on this in the post I wrote in the Tips & Tricks Forum. It’s called something like when BIAB doesn’t play the chords you want.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Short answer, No.

Longer answer: you can use the Chord Builder to see all the chord types that are supported.

In BIAB, the 2 chord and the add2 chord are used for several other unsupported types. Add9 is add2. Sus2 is 2. If you want to know the exact details, read a file called pgshortc.txt

You may also enjoy reading a few tips on this in the post I wrote in the Tips & Tricks Forum. It’s called something like when BIAB doesn’t play the chords you want.

Well it's not like I use those in every song . . . laugh

Thanks for the info - I will definitely find and check out that thread!
Band-in-a-Box does not have a way for a user to designate guitar fretboard fingering position.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Why can't I use the chords I play . . . ? - 03/16/23 11:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Sawmill Music
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Short answer, No.

Well it's not like I use those in every song . . . laugh

Thanks for the info - I will definitely find and check out that thread!

Matt's answer is true for RTs. However you can get MIDI to play any chord your heart desires. It takes a little work to move and/or add notes but the results are worth it IMHO.

If you are using RTs then find a MIDI sound source that is close to the RT sounds, write your MIDI chord and save it as a wav, then replace the "wrong" RT chord with the wav.

Another but more expensive way is to purchase a polyphonic version of Melodyne, load your RT track(s) into it, and modify the chord by moving and/or adding the correct notes.

I hope this helps.

PS - I'm also a guitarist and I use Cadd9 quite a lot. Try going from a G (3-2-0-0-3-3) to a Cadd9 (0 or x)-3-2-0-3-3), low E to high E.
You could also check out the new "playable Real Tracks" and insert the notes you'd like to hear.

Good luck!
LLOYD S
Posted By: DrDan Re: Why can't I use the chords I play . . . ? - 03/17/23 11:15 AM
We guitar players are so picky about chord voicings. grin
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
We guitar players are so picky about chord voicings. grin

And I'm primarily a bass player - you'd think I wouldn't care about the fiddly guitar bits but . . .
© PG Music Forums