PG Music Home
Posted By: duojet Bass notes out of range of VST - 02/14/10 08:17 PM
Hi,

I am not sure if a setting in BIAB has changed or something has been updated. This may not even be something new, I may just not have noticed it all this time.

Some of the bass notes being played in some of the styles seem to be out of the range of my VST bass instrument (kontakt standard library). It is also out of the range of a normal bass guitar. An example style is the BB blues shuffle. So when the midi file plays a note that is out of range I just hear silence ( I see the key pushed in kontakt and its out of the shaded range).

Anyone have an idea how I could fix this?

Thanks!
Posted By: rharv Re: Bass notes out of range of VST - 02/14/10 08:22 PM
Does the kontact need to be set an octave lower? Or the bass track transposed down to account for it ..
Posted By: Mac Re: Bass notes out of range of VST - 02/14/10 09:23 PM
Band ina Box notates the Bass part such that a Bass Player can read it. This is also the convention when writing Bass parts.

It is thus written one octave higher than its actual pitch. This is so there won't be "all ledger lines" in the part, making for a hard read.

Some synths do not respond to that -- they respond to the actual Concert pitches. They are not conventional, then.

Maybe that's the problem you are having. Easy enough to find out, by transposing the bass part down one octave and see if it plays okay sounding with that synth then.

--Mac
Posted By: duojet Re: Bass notes out of range of VST - 02/14/10 09:48 PM
thanks guys. what's the easiest way to transpose, in kontakt or biab? How can I transpose just the bass part in biab. Sorry if this is fundamental...I'm a noob and I haven't thoroughly read the manual.

Thanks!
Posted By: duojet Re: Bass notes out of range of VST - 02/14/10 09:51 PM
Ok...I found it, I went to preferences then channels, and bass was -1, which I switched to 0.

thanks again for the help!
Posted By: silvertones Re: Bass notes out of range of VST - 02/14/10 10:54 PM
For me using conventional synths both hardware and software all of the BIAB styles play correctly with the bass at -1. If it was me I'd put the bass back at -1 and shift the Kontakt. This way if you should use some other synth it'll still sound right.
© PG Music Forums