PG Music Home
Posted By: Gordon Scott Can't get new tempo. [Resolved] - 11/18/23 12:41 PM
I'm sure I've had this before, but I can't think how/if I fixed it. Yes I can.

I've imported a song in MusicXML and the song tempo is set, but at present it's too quick for me, so I tried to slow it down by changing the tempo in the box above the chord sheet. I tried also via song form. The value for tempo changes to the value I set, but when I generate and play, the tempo has not actually changed and after the first bar the tempo number in the box returns to the imported value.

I've looked at step edit melody ... nothing there, I've looked in piano roll ... nothing there.

Ah, I've just had a thought ... OK, it's hidden away in the bar settings for chorus 1, so it's one of those that don't show a red line. I presume this is a function of the import as I never set it myself.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Can't get new tempo. [Resolved] - 11/18/23 03:15 PM
Now that you mention it, I’ve had to remove an embedded tempo at measure one. I never noticed if it had the red line or not. If it doesn’t, I think it should.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Can't get new tempo. [Resolved] - 11/18/23 04:28 PM
I've never imported an XML type song so I don't know if this setting is applicable but if audio is involved, there's also a Master Tempo setting button that's seen in the attached screen shot.

Attached picture Screenshot 2023-11-18 112235.jpg
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Can't get new tempo. [Resolved] - 11/18/23 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Matt Finley
Now that you mention it, I’ve had to remove an embedded tempo at measure one. I never noticed if it had the red line or not. If it doesn’t, I think it should.
AFAICS there's no red line if the setting is on a bar in only one chorus.
A red line would definitely help as at least one knows to look.
Someone some time back regarding a similar (maybe the same) problem suggested F5 and then clicking [Print Summary] to get a complete list of bar changes. That's what I did, before selecting 1st chorus bar 1 and then changing the tempo to 0.
One of BIAB's many quirks.

Charlie - I'll try to remember that tip, it could be useful. Thanks.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Can't get new tempo. [Resolved] - 11/18/23 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Gordon Scott
A red line would definitely help as at least one knows to look.
There's a risk of confusion here unless there's some differentiation between "this bar on some chorus somewhere" and "this bar on all choruses".
Maybe a partial or full line? The present situation is resolvable easiliy enough, but rather arcane.
Posted By: musocity Re: Can't get new tempo. [Resolved] - 11/19/23 11:14 AM
I was just watching a video on QEMU on Linux it's suppose to be a lot faster than VirtualBox.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Can't get new tempo. [Resolved] - 11/19/23 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by musocity
I was just watching a video on QEMU on Linux it's suppose to be a lot faster than VirtualBox.
I haven't used QEMU for quite some time. I may give it a try.

Edit: QEMU seems to have become several different flavours. I'll need to explore.
© PG Music Forums