PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane 2024 - Ctrl F8 [Resolved] - 12/14/23 01:49 PM
If anyone looks into this thread to see what it is about...

IF the problems I've had makes anyone hesitate to buy BIAB 2024 - DO NOT HESITATE.
This problem was (somehow) specific to my machine and the state that MY BIAB was in (basically)
And I was really frustrated.

Now that it is Resolved, I will throw my vote in with many others that THIS is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade to the program.
Game changing.

Do Not Hesitate!

Here is how this thread went....

I seem to have a completely different BIAB 2024 than everybody else (lucky me).

The main reason I jumped at the upgrade this year was because of Misha's (Rustyspoon) quick video.
(btw, thanks for that, Misha)
In it he regenerates a section of a track by highlighting it and hitting ctrl-F8.
It regens instantly and then he does another and another.
I immediately reached for my credit card.

HOWEVER. On top of all the stutter I am getting, when I hit ctrl-F8, I get a dialog pop up.
In order to regen the selected section I have to FIRST change the selected measures in the dialog (because they are still the previous selection I have made - and will stay there no matter how many times I try to change it by highlighting a different section).
And THEN I have to hit the "OK - (Re)Generate" button.

If I had any hair left, I'd be pulling it out.

Attached picture ctrlF8.JPG
Posted By: MoultiPass Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 02:14 PM
What you show is "normally" done with ALT F8. Try with CTRL F8. Or maybe your keyboard is also sick....

As if the bugs weren't enough you have hardware problems.
Posted By: DrDan Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 02:16 PM
That picture is ALT-F8 (Partial Regen).
F8 (MultiRiff) is essentially the same thing, but does not open a sub menu.
And finally Ctrl F8 does not open any submenu, it just Regens the selected area.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by MoultiPass
What you show is "normally" done with ALT F8. Try with CTRL F8. Or maybe your keyboard is also sick....

As if the bugs weren't enough you have hardware problems.

Originally Posted by DrDan
That picture is ALT-F8 (Partial Regen).
F8 (MultiRiff) is essentially the same thing, but does not open a sub menu.
And finally Ctrl F8 does not open any submenu, it just Regens the selected area.

Unfortunately, That picture is from using CTRL-F8.
ALT-F8 brings up the same dialog. ALSO with the wrong measure listed.
Posted By: MoultiPass Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 02:35 PM
Try reinstalling 2024 on an old PC that's moldy in the basement. Hopefully...it won't be any worse.
Posted By: DrDan Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 02:41 PM
Well I am glad we got that figured out! Not! confused
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 02:53 PM
I mentioned this issue before. I'm confused too. When I press ctrl+F8 and alt+F8 the effect is the same.

But I remember that ctrl+F8 used to regenerate a certain RT.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 03:05 PM
Hi floyd,

What you are wanting to do is definitely CTRL+F8. I just tried starting BIAB from my USB drive that arrived today. That was build 1102. This feature didn't work in that build. When I upgraded the USB drive's build to 1104, though, it worked. It also worked with 1105 on my desktop.

When you start BIAB, is it definitely build 1104 or 1105 that loads? (I know that you're well aware that the information is found under "Help | About BIAB". I'm just mentioning it here in case someone who doesn't know this reads the post.)

--Noel
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 03:12 PM
frown

Attached picture BIAB Ver.JPG
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 03:20 PM
FJ,
You might have your keyboard's function (F keys) set up differently. Try FnLock on your keyboard. Last time I checked, Crl + F8 it worked. I will check after I get back home.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Rustyspoon#
FJ,
You might have your keyboard's function (F keys) set up differently. Try FnLock on your keyboard. Last time I checked, Crl + F8 it worked. I will check after I get back home.

If FnLock is a key - I don't have one of those.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 03:45 PM
floyd,

If you want to try the mouse method of doing this partial generation to see if that works, it can be done via the mixer or track view (or even the upper menu)...

1) generate a song
2) right-click on the track name
3) from the right-click menu that appears, select Track Action
4) select "Re-generate PARTS of Realtracks on selected region"
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 03:47 PM
more info.

I did have measure 3 selected. Ctrl- F8 popped up the window (of course) and I click the regen button.
I then selected a different track and selected measure 7 (which runs for 2 measures).
Hit Ctrl-F8 - the dialog pops up.
And it has selected ITS OWN choice apparently - measure 12 for 4 measures.

Attached picture ctrlF8-2.JPG
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 03:59 PM
floyd,

The "edit riffs and loops" button is active on your image. Try clicking on that to deactivate it and see if that solves the problem.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 1105 edit riffs and loop button.jpg
Posted By: MoultiPass Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 04:10 PM
Noel, it doesn't change anything, you can do CTRL F8 even with the button pressed.

[Image jointe]

Attached picture Edit Riff.png
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Noel96
floyd,

The "edit riffs and loops" button is active on your image. Try clicking on that to deactivate it and see if that solved the problem.

[Linked Image]

Okay.
That, indeed, stopped the dialog from popping up and the section I highlighted regenerated. Thank You.
Intuitively, I thought a button that gives a tool tip of "Edit riffs and loops" should be pushed if your intent was to edit riffs and loops.

If you can explain why the regen dialog seems to pick its own selections, I might label the thread as resolved.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by MoultiPass
Noel, it doesn't change anything, you can do CTRL F8 even with the button pressed.
Thanks for the info. I hadn't actually tried that. It's good to know smile

more weirdness.

I thought - "No. That makes the dialog pop up".
So I went to verify that.
NOW...
Ctrl F8 DOES NOT pop up the dialog (with the button pushed).
BUT it regenerates the PREVIOUS area I had selected NOT the section I have selected now.

How is my program changing on the fly? AI? It seems about as effective as all the other AI generated stuff I've seen so far.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by floyd jane
Okay.
That, indeed, stopped the dialog from popping up and the section I highlighted regenerated. Thank You.
Intuitively, I thought a button that gives a tool tip of "Edit riffs and loops" should be pushed if your intent was to edit riffs and loops.

If you can explain why the regen dialog seems to pick its own selections, I might label the thread as resolved.

It's good to have some success! *phew*

I completely agree with you about the "edit riffs and loops" button, and I'll pass your thoughts on to Peter and Andrew because this will trap a few people, I suspect.

(P.S. On a philosophical level, I always find the word "intuitively" a bit dangerous to use smile because I've been caught out too many times over the decades. The word seem to be closely related to "assume" and as I used to tell my students, "Always take care when you use the word "assume" because it often ends up making an "[*****]" out of "u" and "me".)
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 04:38 PM
more weirdness.

NOW...
BUT it regenerates the PREVIOUS area I had selected NOT the section I have selected now.

How is my program changing on the fly? AI? It seems about as effective as all the other AI generated stuff I've seen so far.
It's interesting you should say this. When I was having my song generation problems and it was taking lots of minutes to generate song demos, there was one point that I loaded the chord chart for a song demo in the Stylepicker found in Multipicker Library and then used the "Generate" button in that Stylepicker. The song generated and played almost instantly. After that, all my generating problems stopped. When this happened, I wondered if maybe BIAB has to have some aspect of the program operating first before other things become functional. (No one else has experienced this, though.)

Up until this point in time, I'd been loading the chord charts for the song demos into BIAB, exiting Stylepicker and generating the song using the BIAB icons.
Posted By: bloc-head Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 07:24 PM
more weirdness.

NOW...

It's interesting you should say this. When I was having my song generation problems and it was taking lots of minutes to generate song demos, there was one point that I loaded the chord chart for a song demo in the Stylepicker found in Multipicker Library and then used the "Generate" button in that Stylepicker. The song generated and played almost instantly. After that, all my generating problems stopped. When this happened, I wondered if maybe BIAB has to have some aspect of the program operating first before other things become functional. (No one else has experienced this, though.)

Up until this point in time, I'd been loading the chord charts for the song demos into BIAB, exiting Stylepicker and generating the song using the BIAB icons.
My sincere thanks to all the generous contributors to this thread... I've been following this thread with great interest, but now I'm more "confuzed" than ever.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 08:20 PM

Also,
Watch this tutorial starting at 10:50

Posted By: floyd jane Re: 2024 - Ctrl F8 - 12/14/23 08:59 PM
I have marked this thread as RESOLVED.

Part of my original problem stemmed from the fact that I thought the Edit Riffs button was supposed to be clicked (On).
But I don't think that was the whole problem.

My program was having a senior moment.

I also had a stuttering problem (the program, not me personally). That was resolved by eliminating the intrface and MySetup files.
That thread is here
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=788954#Post788954

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this. Very Much Appreciated.

If anyone else is still having problems with this, they might want to start a new thread.

fj
© PG Music Forums