PG Music Home
Posted By: John Lancelotte Wrong key!! [Resolved] - 01/18/24 06:53 PM
Hello folks.

In the last 5 weeks I've created about 20 songs and scrapped 14 of them.
For the remaining 6, I've rendered them to wav. Dropped them into Mixcraft Pro 10 and adjusted from there. All has been well, until today.
I felt that one track needed remaking in a new key at a slightly slower speed, so remade it from scratch. BIAB is set to Key of G, speed 135.
Chords are very simple and are G C and D7.
EVERY time I render it, it renders to G# C# and eb7
Nothing changes it. I've remade it now 5 times, rebuilt the data, rechecked the settings, started a totally new Mixcraft project and checked that MX is set to G and 135. No joy.
Only ONE change that I'm aware of is Update to version 09 of BIAB done today.
Any thoughts please?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Wrong key!! - 01/18/24 07:20 PM
It sounds like you have a global transpose flag set someplace. I can't get to my music computer right now but look up transpose in the index.

FWIW I have noticed that sometimes an upgrade may change a setting. That may have happened to you.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Wrong key!! - 01/18/24 07:30 PM
Check the visual transpose setting as mentioned - it's in the notation window options.

Also, to narrow it down, make sure to listen to an exported wave file prior to importing it into Mixcraft, make sure it sounds the same as played in BiaB. Are you using the DAW Plugin (v.6.0.13) or are you using the full Band-in-a-Box program and rendering from there?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Wrong key!! - 01/18/24 07:32 PM
Hi J,

This is worth a try...

Under Song Settings (access it by right-clicking on the chord sheet), check that "Transpose Artist Performance Tracks by semitones:" is set to zero and preferably unchecked.

Regards,
--Noel
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Wrong key!! - 01/18/24 10:14 PM
I concur you triggered a transposition. There are a few ways to do that. If you can’t figure it out, there is a quick solution: Options, Return to Factory Settings. It’s a sledge hammer for a nail but it will work.
Posted By: John Lancelotte Re: Wrong key!! - 01/19/24 07:57 AM
Well, folks...

I checked everything you suggested, and saw no problems. I am, by the way, NOT using BIAB for any mixing, but rendering the tracks and then manually moving them to Mixcraft.
HOWEVER, I found the fault!!! In the Audio render window, the sample rate had changed from 44.1 to 48khz all on it's own. (Maybe due to the update?)
Mixcraft was set for 44.1, which I use for all BIAB work as I know that the P.A. will not deliver any remotely HIFI sound when I use the tracksw for backing!!!
So, many thanks to you all. You've given me new insight into the programme by making me look at new things.
All is now well, I'm happy to report!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Wrong key!! - 01/19/24 09:31 AM
Excellent outcome John, and thanks for posting your findings.
Please consider to open your original post and mark it as Resolved. There's a button for that. This can help others in the future.
Posted By: John Lancelotte Re: Wrong key!! - 01/19/24 11:22 AM
Hi!!

I did look for a "resolved" button. I think I used it once before, but can I find it? No.
Mind you, my wife would tell you that for someone who stares into the fridge looking for something directly infront of him, this is normal behaviour!!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Wrong key!! - 01/19/24 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by John Lancelotte
Hi!!

I did look for a "resolved" button. I think I used it once before, but can I find it? No.
Mind you, my wife would tell you that for someone who stares into the fridge looking for something directly infront of him, this is normal behaviour!!
This button appears only in your first post of a thread. Did you look there?
Posted By: John Lancelotte Re: Wrong key!! - 01/19/24 07:14 PM
Are you related to my wife??!!

I daren't show her this thread!!!

Thank you.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Wrong key!! - 01/19/24 07:16 PM
No, but I'll bet you found the button in the last place you looked. grin

By the way, if the key change had been identified as a little more than a half-step off (somewhat closer to a full step), I would have zeroed in on the 48 KHz answer immediately. I've seen (heard) that before.

Glad you figured it out.
© PG Music Forums