PG Music Home
Posted By: Jazzman60 Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 12:19 AM
I have BIAB 2010 with the 295 update, and can't get tag endings to display when playing the song. Any help with this would be appreciated.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 03:27 AM
Hello,

In the Print Options window, select 'whole song'.

Or, if you don't want to print out all the choruses, print from the Lead Sheet window, and check the 'Fakesheet' box there.
Posted By: Schnazola Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 03:43 AM
Was Jazzman talking about printing? I inferred that the tags won't display in the chord-entry window.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 04:02 AM
Yes, I read the OP question as a display issue, rather than printing. Jazzman60, could you please clarify? Also, we are assuming you have Tag Exists checked and set up the tag in that dialog. Right?
Posted By: Jazzman60 Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 01:37 PM
I'm referring the display of the tag on the screen when playing the song. BIAB won't scroll down to the tag when it is playing.
Posted By: allis Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 02:49 PM
Let's assume you refer to the display on the Chord Sheet, since you still don't say. (The Notation View and the Lead Sheet View are also commonly used to play from. They all act somewhat differently. Nobody here knows which you're in, and that's where the confusion lies.)

You probably realize a tag never plays until after the last chorus, right? It's actually a Coda -- the Coda symbol is advisedly used.

If you have only one chorus, a tag makes no notational sense. In that case the program won't let you establish a tag in the first place.

It also disables any tags that you set up before you dropped back to one chorus. It will never play them until you increase the number of bars in the chorus to include what were previously the tag bars.

If these ideas are no use, try again to give some detailed information.
Posted By: Jazzman60 Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 03:11 PM
It's the display on the chord sheet. I have multiple choruses, and this happens on every song with a tag.

Thanks for all the help so far! I hope that there is a simple fix for this!
Posted By: allis Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 04:01 PM
Quote:

I hope that there is a simple fix for this!

When you spot it, it will be a simple fix. The fact that none of your Tags is playing is actually encouraging. Something is wrong in your settings that shuts tags off. Tags are not problematic. They work without a hitch as soon as you follow all the rules.

In the Song Settings for a typical tune, is the "Tag Exists" box checked?
If so, are the required bar numbers correct? If BiaB can't find the tag, it can't play it.
Are your non-playing tags greyed out, or are they they colored the same as the other bars?
Is the tag section clearly labeled as such? (Should have a Coda sign as well as a "Tag" text label.)

Those questions may give clues about whether BiaB knows you are trying to make a tag and whether you've correctly told it the tag location.
Posted By: Jazzman60 Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 04:11 PM
"Tag exists" is checked. The tags play fine, they just don't show up on the display of the chord sheet. Everything else shows up fine.
Posted By: Jazzman60 Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 04:28 PM
Precisely what happens is that when the song gets to the tag, the beginning of the song, not the tag, is displayed on the monitor while BIAB plays the tag.
Posted By: allis Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 04:35 PM
Quote:

"Tag exists" is checked. The tags play fine, they just don't show up on the display of the chord sheet. Everything else shows up fine.

Sorry. I never grasped it correctly. It's strange. Back to Square One.

Now that it's dead clear, somebody will have an idea. I still predict it's something minor but weird.
Posted By: allis Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 04:37 PM
Quote:

Precisely what happens is that when the song gets to the tag, the beginning of the song, not the tag, is displayed on the monitor while BIAB plays the tag.

Good stuff. That's the kind of information somebody clever like Andrew can use to get at the thing.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 04:57 PM
OK, that helps, and that sounds weird.

Please do Opt, Return to Factory Settings and try your tests again.

New in version 2010, you will be prompted to save your custom settings before the Return to Factory Settings.
Posted By: Ed J. Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 05:29 PM
Do you happen to be running BIAB on Vista? I also encounter weird non-scrolling issues with the chord sheet when I run my UltraPak HD on my wife's Vista laptop. On my old XP laptop and XP desktop there are no problems. In Vista I often find the cursor jumps back to the top of the chord sheet instead of scrolling down and the screen becomes garbled or overwritten. I would resize the window with the mouse to force a redraw of the screen. I tried changing my Vista display Theme to "windows classic" and I think it may have fixed it but I can't recall right now since I don't normally use that laptop.

Ed
Posted By: Jazzman60 Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 05:36 PM
Yes, I run BIAB on a Vista laptop. Hopefully someone will come up with a definitive fix.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 05:52 PM
But, did you try Opt, Return to Factory Settings?
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 05:53 PM
Do you see the tag ending if you uncheck the "Fake" box on the main screen? Did you define any repeats/endings in this song (Edit | Repeats and Endings)? What are your chorus begin/end bar #s, and your tag ending bar #s?
Posted By: Jazzman60 Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 06:11 PM
I unchecked the "Fake" box, and it WORKS!!!

Thank's all!

Andrew, BIAB has been the most satisfying product that I own. Thank's again!

Bill
Posted By: allis Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 06:30 PM
It's still wrong. You don't want to' uncheck that box permanently, and you won't need to when you get ít straight.

Once again, you won't answer the important question: Are there any repeats? What Andrew intelligently suspected was that you have snarled the Tag up in some botched repeat, so the Fake button buries it behind the first bars. It disappears from plain view in Fake mode and appears to be playing from the beginning.

No tag should ever be in a repeat. No D.C., no D.S., no nothing. It must just sit there on the end in full view all the time.

If you're happy, you're happy. But if you ever want your Fake Mode back, you're still going to have to straighten up the way you're doing it.
Posted By: Jazzman60 Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 06:35 PM
Allis, there are multiple choruses but no repeats. I don't even know what "Fake mode" is, so I'll probably stay happy. But other users might want to explore this further.
Posted By: allis Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 07:04 PM
"Fake Mode" is what you enter when you tick the box marked "Fake". It folds up your repeats and makes things look the way they would in a fake book, instead of running all sequentially down the page.

At least you now have Tags you can see, so there's progress!
Posted By: Jazzman60 Re: Tag endings don't display - 03/11/10 07:43 PM
Thanks Allis!
© PG Music Forums