PG Music Home
Posted By: Passion4Blue ASIO 4 All or ASIO 4 Some - 03/24/10 04:39 PM
Question for those who may have had some success with ASIO 4 All.

Will installing the latest version of ASIO-4-All (version 2.9) onto a machine using an audio interface like the M-Audio Fast Pro (which by the way has it's own ASIO drivers) cause any conflicts with the ASIO drivers from that unit?

In other words, can I use ASIO-4-All ver.2.9 with my M-Audio Fast Track Pro device?

Reason for this is because I've tweaked everything under the sun in the new BIAB 2010 and it simply does not work with the ASIO drivers from my M-Audio device. MME yes...ASIO no.
Posted By: jford Re: ASIO 4 All or ASIO 4 Some - 03/24/10 04:53 PM
Why not just give it a try? It's a free download, and if you don't like it, it's easily uninstalled.
Posted By: Passion4Blue Re: ASIO 4 All or ASIO 4 Some - 03/24/10 05:02 PM
I will give it a try. I did read that it wouldn't have a conflict with the other drivers and that it is easily uninstallable.
Posted By: silvertones Re: ASIO 4 All or ASIO 4 Some - 03/24/10 07:01 PM
Why would you want to?
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: ASIO 4 All or ASIO 4 Some - 03/24/10 07:43 PM
Actually, the latest version of ASIO4ALL is 2.10... It 's a Beta, but I highly recommend using this newer version, as it's compatible with more devices. They made serious improvements when making the new version.

If you can't get the Fast Track's ASIO drivers to work with Band-in-a-Box, you wouldn't be the first one, unfortunately. We can usually get them to work in Band-in-a-Box using MME drivers, but the FastTrack's ASIO drivers are known to have serious issues.

-Kent
Posted By: Passion4Blue Re: ASIO 4 All or ASIO 4 Some - 03/24/10 10:01 PM
John, because when I play anything with the MME driver there's latency and glitchy playback from anything with Real instruments. Not always, but on some tracks it is pretty obvious. Whereas when I use my ASIO with any other program (Sonar 8.5 or Ableton Live) on my computer it plays flawlessly. Both those programs have no issues with my M-Audio's ASIO driver.
Posted By: Mac Re: ASIO 4 All or ASIO 4 Some - 03/25/10 12:35 AM
Buddy of mine had a Fast Track Pro, first off, it came with the Control Panel (Fast Track Pro Properties -> Bandwidth) defaulted to 24 bit. I changed it to 16 bit there as he was having troubles with BiaB and softsynths with RealTracks.

The Fast Track Pro has a native clock rate of 48KHz, and is supposed to be able to do conversions "on the fly" -- BB runs only at 44.1KHz. I doubt that is problematic in the case of this device, as my buddy has been running BB just fine for some time now after I did the above.

It is important to do the above *before* starting up BiaB.

Anyway, after I did the above, he was able to use the native ASIO sound drivers with his Pro.

Of course, there are plenty of other settings and things to consider here, OS also. IIRC he's running Vista (yechh) on a Toshiba laptop.

HTH,

--Mac
Posted By: Passion4Blue Re: ASIO 4 All or ASIO 4 Some - 03/25/10 03:28 PM
Tried it Mac...still no luck. Thanks for all your suggestions, at this point I'm just hoping that a fix is in the works from PG Music.

I'm thinking of updating my Audio Device to the new V-Studio 100 from Sonar so that may take care of all my ASIO issues anyway.
Posted By: earl kirby Re: ASIO 4 All or ASIO 4 Some - 03/25/10 04:56 PM
Did you try the new updated Asio4All and what was your results. I to have been having the same problems and would like to solve them. I have ordered the fasttrack II but waiting as its on back order. Sweetwater claims arrival any day. But I wonder if that is really going to solve the problem as you're using a fasttrack pro and its doing the same.

I love biab and think PGMusic does an outstanding job of supporting us BUT I agree that the asio compatablity needs to be address in future updates. Users shouldn't have to go through this much of a problem to do what can be done with any other daw.
Posted By: Passion4Blue Re: ASIO 4 All or ASIO 4 Some - 03/26/10 08:49 PM
Yes, I did try the ASIO4All 2.10 beta version and my system doesn't even let me load it, so I stopped trying. It fails right off the bat. You may have better luck with the Fast Track Pro II since the ASIO drivers may have been improved in that unit. Keep your fingers crossed.

I get by with creating tracks under the new BIAB and then importing the individual instrument tracks over in Sonar 8.5. I can manage all the tracks a little better over there. The thing is my Fast Track Pro works excellently with my Sonar 8.5 Program, so I know that it's just the folks at PG Music need to tweak the program a little better in the DRIVERS area.
Posted By: rharv Re: ASIO 4 All or ASIO 4 Some - 03/26/10 09:51 PM
It seems that way, but so many times we see the issue getting resolved by a new driver release from the device manufacturer. They are the ones that are fixing something and things suddenly work. At least for driver issues.
They may do something a little different than most but I'm pretty sure they do comply. Otherwise it wouldn't be getting fixed by the device manufacturer over and over again.
© PG Music Forums