PG Music Home
Posted By: dvjduck Upgrade to Which Version? - 04/26/10 12:11 AM
I've watched the recent videos and read a lot of the info on PG Music's site but I'm still not clear what to buy. I'm now using B-N-B 2006 and Power Tracks Pro Audio V.11. I want to upgrade both to whatever the newest version of each might be that does not require audio (.wav, etc) files. I want to work exclusively in the midi environment. In view of this I know I do not want any of the RealBand versions. At one point I thought B-N-B 2010 could be used midi only but then I wasn't sure. From what I understand about PTP Audio, it appears that I might be able to use it midi only but again I'm not sure. Any ideas?
Thanks,
DVJ
Posted By: rharv Re: Upgrade to Which Version? - 04/26/10 12:26 AM
Biab, Realband and Powertracks can all be used for just midi.

I'd suggest the basic BiaB2010, which includes RB. RB is pretty much the same thing as Powertracks, with some added features.
Powertracks would be cheaper, but it does not have anywhere near the midi song creation features of BiaB.

Since BiaB comes with Realband, that would be how to get both; just don't buy the packages with extra realtracks if you don't want them.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Upgrade to Which Version? - 04/26/10 12:27 AM
Quote:

I've watched the recent videos and read a lot of the info on PG Music's site but I'm still not clear what to buy. I'm now using B-N-B 2006 and Power Tracks Pro Audio V.11. I want to upgrade both to whatever the newest version of each might be that does not require audio (.wav, etc) files. I want to work exclusively in the midi environment. In view of this I know I do not want any of the RealBand versions. At one point I thought B-N-B 2010 could be used midi only but then I wasn't sure. From what I understand about PTP Audio, it appears that I might be able to use it midi only but again I'm not sure. Any ideas?
Thanks,
DVJ

While any of the three applications you mention (BIAB 2010, RB v4 or the very new PTPA 2010) can all handle MIDI, the reality is these applications have long ago crossed over to full audio. So for just MIDI work BIAB for it accompanyment and back tracks combined with PowerTracks for its sequencer would be more than capable to handle all things MIDI.

However, I don't understand your aversion to audio?? ... and the new world or RT's?? Seems you may be better off just staying with the older versions of BIAB and PTPA since the fundemental MIDI capabilites have not changed all that much since then.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Upgrade to Which Version? - 04/26/10 01:56 AM
You would likely want either the Pro verision or the MegaPAK.
All of the MIDI styles are included in the MegaPA (about 1700), whereas about 300 are included with the Pro version.
You can see information and order here http://www.pgmusic.com/bandbox.htm

There are 25 additional programs that we have in the MIDI envoirnment connected to Band-in-a-Box. This is the Songs and Lessons Pak, for $99. http://www.pgmusic.com/songsandlessonsPAK.htm
Posted By: Mac Re: Upgrade to Which Version? - 04/26/10 11:30 AM
Go with the MegaPak IMO.

The more styles you have, the more versatile the program...

Have Fun,

--Mac
Posted By: dvjduck Re: Upgrade to Which Version? - 04/27/10 02:52 AM
Hi,
Your responses are very helpful. I do all my audio recording and editing in my Protools rig that includes several external sound modules as well as several soft synths. Although Protools midi capabilities have grown much better lately, Power Tracks Pro has some superior editing features. I especially value the way PTPA handles notation editing and the swing grid mode. It is nothing short of genius!

I've been a BIAB and PTP user since the early 1990s and have all the addons through the 2006 version. I also have a fair selection of the Norton addons. I use the song arranging and midi file production of BIAB followed by the midi file manipulation and editing of PTPA to generate a midi file ready to render to audio. Then at that point, I simply import it into Protools. That process automatically puts each midi channel on it's own track with program changes, volume, velocity, tempo, etc. all intact. From there I'm ready to jump into the audio portion of my project. (I don't usually care for drum and/or other sample loops.)

So, with all that in mind it seems that the 2010 MegaPak and my present PTPA Version 11 might be all that I need.
Many Thanks,
DVJ
© PG Music Forums