PG Music Home
Posted By: Falconer Need more than 255 bars - 05/28/10 05:24 PM
I'm entering a song and it has an extended ending with multiple instrumental verses. It's going to run well ove the 255 bar limit in BB. How do you guys get around this? I eventually want to use it as a backing track and record it using Reaper or Audacity.
Is there a way to maybe split the extended ending off to another song but have it jump right into it or something like that?

The song's only about 6 1/2 minutes long. I can't be the only one who needs a song that long... There must be someone out there who has come up with a solution...

Thanks!

Charlie
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/28/10 08:20 PM
You can only input 255 measures in midi (has to do with base 10 mathematics). You will need to add repeat/coda marks etc . . .

There used to be a video tutorial on the PG Support page about adding repeats. Good luck,

Trax
Posted By: Falconer Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/28/10 08:30 PM
I tried the repeats, but repeats add more bars. It does not appear that you can have repeats without adding new bars.
I thought perhaps another chorus, but it seems that it's one chorus per song...

Charlie
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/28/10 08:57 PM
Hi Falconer,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the following.
Quote:

I tried the repeats, but repeats add more bars. It does not appear that you can have repeats without adding new bars.
I thought perhaps another chorus, but it seems that it's one chorus per song...

Does your song have verses and choruses that use the same chord pattern? If so, it is these that can be set up to repeat and thus reduce the number of bars. As an example, I'll use the song "Top Of The World" by The Carpenters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq5pLi0huhw

The structure of this song is
1) Intro
2) Verse
3) Chorus
4) Instrumental Turnaround
5) Verse
6) Chorus
7) Chorus
8) Ending

In the above structure, the verse and chorus repeat. Using repeats in BIAB, it would only be necessary to type in one Verse and one Chorus and then set the score so that it repeats those sections. In effect, this will halve the number of bars that you have to assemble.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Falconer Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/28/10 09:10 PM
Starting at bar 161, I have a 36-bar pattern that needs to repeat about 5 times.
I haven't been able to figure out how to make the repeats work. If I choose edit>repeats then select the bars and number of repeats, and check generate/ insert new bars, it overruns the end. If I don't check generate/ insert new bars, then the repeat doesn't work.

How do I create a second chorus using just the section I want to repeat and tack that on to the end of the main section?

Charlie
Posted By: Falconer Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/28/10 10:05 PM
Just tried the repeat thing again; it will give me 2 repeats but no more. I need 5. If I copy the 36 repeatd measures to a new file it will play them all. It's all about running into the 255 bar limit.

How to get around that 255 bar thing?
Posted By: BarryKJ Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/28/10 10:40 PM
Why are you starting at bar 161? Could any section of that be reduced with repeats? Seems like an excessive number of bars to all be unique.
Posted By: Falconer Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/28/10 10:55 PM
Bars 1-20 are the intro.
Bars 21-56 are the first verse.
Bars 57-92 are the second verse.
Bars 93-128 are the first guitar solo
Bars 129-148 are the third verse
Bars 149-152 are the break
Bars 153-160 are the turnaround
Bars 161-196 are the first section of the final instrumental. Those bars need to repeat 4x.

Maybe we're disconnecting on the repeats. According to my reading and experience, repeats are strictly a function of the notation, not the song length. Even if it's the same 4 bars over and over, you can only repeat them up to 255 bars total for the song.
Now, I can set the "number of choruses in the song" to a certain number. What I can't figure out how to do is to use that "chorus" construct as a portion of the song (like bars 161-196) with the rest of the song outside of that. Or string multiple "choruses" together...

Charlie
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/28/10 11:00 PM
You may need to record your song in parts and then splice them together in a sequencer. Biab has a limit of 255 midi measures, due to the math the PC uses etc . . . I was hoping a repeat would have helped with that problem, but if it is not allowing you to go past 255, you will need to record it in sections.

Trax
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/28/10 11:18 PM
161-bar intro. 4 36-bar choruses. 197 bars of the chord sheet used, you'll even have room for an extended tag ending. ;-)

Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Falconer Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/29/10 12:04 AM
Yes! Got your email, Kent. That did it. I KNEW there was a way to do it. Thanks much. The screen shot helped, too...

Now, is there a way do do multiple different choruses per song or is it limited to one?

Thanks again!

Charlie
Posted By: manning1 Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/29/10 01:02 AM
Falconer
something to think about conceptually when doing songs.
biab for roughing out song ideas n then youll also have realband
where you can do a load of trak manipulation etc etc n song icings.
think of it like building a house.
biab for the song foundation idea..n RB for building up the song.
cos rb has 48 traks.
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/29/10 01:33 AM
Quote:

Yes! Got your email, Kent. That did it. I KNEW there was a way to do it. Thanks much. The screen shot helped, too...

Now, is there a way do do multiple different choruses per song or is it limited to one?

Thanks again!

Charlie

Right on, glad I could help... As for the multiple different choruses thing, that's not possible at this time, sorry.

Kent
Posted By: Black6host Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/29/10 05:22 PM
>>You can only input 255 measures in midi (has to do with base 10 mathematics). You will need to add repeat/coda marks etc . . .

Well actually base 2 (binary) but 10 is 2 in binary so I'll give you credit
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/30/10 01:43 PM
I would make "parts 1 and 2", export them as MIDI files and then combine them in a MIDI sequencer.

There are simply some songs that cannot be put in the 255 limit, no matter how creative you get with repeats.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫
Posted By: filkertom Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/30/10 03:14 PM
How long have I been asking for this...?
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/30/10 10:32 PM
Tom,

I believe anything more then 255 is impossible, due to the calculation? I can't explain it, but I believe it has to do with the multiplication of 255x255 and not enough 11000100010 space etc . . . ?

Trax
Posted By: Mac Re: Need more than 255 bars - 05/31/10 01:33 PM
Well, when you need more than 255, time to start exporting to REALBAND and keep on going...

--Mac
© PG Music Forums