PG Music Home
Posted By: brian329 Changing styles - 06/03/10 01:57 PM
I want to play an intro and an opening chorus as a bossa nova, then put in several choruses in a swing style with a bass playing in 4, then return to bossa for the last chorus.

I have no problem with the style changing, except the real tracks bass either wants to stay in 2 or stay in 4 even when the style changes. Can I change the tracks and if so how?

This is a new installation BTW and I am a total newbie to using real tracks.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: jford Re: Changing styles - 06/03/10 02:36 PM
Unfortunately, you can't change RealTracks in mid-stream with BIAB. I would go to the wishlist and request the feature of changing RealTracks at any bar, just like you can change MIDI styles at any bar.

I suggest moving your project to RealBand, where you have more tracks, but can also mix and match on the same tracks by generating new parts for highlighted sections.
Posted By: Mike Laatz Re: Changing styles - 06/03/10 03:37 PM
You can do this in Band-in-a-box. Select "bossa then swing" for your drum style. Instead of several chorusus, have one long chorus, with bossa on A and swing on B. Select a bossa real bass on the bass track, and select a swing bass on a different track (strings for example). Do the same with either guitar or piano (two separate tracks, one swing and one bossa).
Now here's the trick. In bar one, right-click to get "bar settings"...mute the tracks that have swing realtracks. Only the bossa tracks will play, until you're ready to swing. Next go to the bar before your B section, right click on bar settings, and mute the bossa tracks. Click on "back to normal" for the swing tracks. So in your B section, the bossa tracks are turned off and the swing tracks are turned on.
When you're ready to go back to the bossa, do the above in reverse.
Note that it sounds more natural if you do the changes in the bar before each section, not in the first bar of the section.
I've used this several times, and it works like a charm.

Regards
Mike Laatz
mikelaatz@telkomsa.net
www.capetownjazz.com
Posted By: BarryKJ Re: Changing styles - 06/03/10 10:37 PM
You will run out of tracks pretty quickly with this method. RealBand or equivalent is probably a better way to go. But a working solution, so thanks for the idea.
Posted By: brian329 Re: Changing styles - 06/05/10 08:21 PM
Thanks for all of the ideas guys. I'll wait until BIAB allows it to be done easier. I haven't begun to use Real Band, and I'm spending way more time with BIAB than I want to and it cuts into my practice time.
Posted By: brian329 Re: Changing styles - 06/07/10 01:33 AM
Later: Mike I tried your solution and it worked absolutely perfectly. Thanks very much for the tip.
© PG Music Forums