PG Music Home
Posted By: Playin In The Band How Come The Demos... - 07/29/10 08:29 PM
all sound great, but I dont see/hear anybody being able to get the sound they produce on those demo videos. They probably take the tracks and mix them and master them in a pro studio.

They sound pretty close to real on those videos but all the stuff I hear with people using it sound like
maybe a tad above an auto arrangement you might find on a casio keyboard or something like that.

I think it's partially do to the fact that people still use midi mixed with their tracks which if you're doing covers, you probably have to do that, but I wanna hear a regular joe get the same results they are getting in those videos.
Posted By: Mac Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/29/10 10:24 PM
PGMusic does NOT mix and master their demos in a pro studio. The people at PGMusic are honest folks.

My stuff done with BiaB sounds great.

BiaB is exactly like a musical instrument in the sense that the noob likely won't be able to create the same kind of music as someone who has practiced that instrument for years.

Still, the noob can create some mighty fine sounding stuff with the program.

--Mac
Posted By: Danny C. Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/29/10 11:00 PM
I could not agree more strongly with Mac as the circuit I play has many a musician doing solo/duo acts who all use some kind of back tracks or other. With this said I am very often complimented on my/BIAB tracks as being if not the best, always at the top of the proverbial list. And these compliments also come from other musicians in my audiences. With this said I pretty much use them as them come out of the can so to speak straight from BIAB through my old computer sound-card through the PA. And oh yes, the lion's share of my arrangements are mixed midi and real tracks.

Later,
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/29/10 11:08 PM
I listened to blue bayou and blue berry hill, i realize they are old songs but they sound far from real.

Your voice sounds good but the tracks sound like elevator music.

I think it's the mixing of midi, i dont hear many real tracks in there anyway.
Posted By: Mac Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 12:53 AM
Well, to be fair, someone who has been using BiaB as long as Danny C. is likely to have songs posted that were done *before* the advent of the RealTracks. They, of course, would have to be all MIDI. And then there are those "transitional" songs that could have been created when there was only the RealDrums and later on, just a few RealTracks available. And sometimes, in order to get what they want, people still find the need to mix Realtracks with a few MIDI tracks. If you don't like MIDI, then don't use it, use only RealTracks. There are users around here who say that is all they use.

--Mac
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 01:21 AM
Well, thats what I mean, if Real tracks sound so good why is everybody still using midi which sounds horrible. and where are the great sounding demos that everybody keeps saying sound great.

I'm not being unfair to Danny, if i used all midi it would sound like muzak too.

I like BIABS potential. im just trying to see whats possible with it.
Posted By: Sundance Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 02:06 AM
The program comes with a money back guarantee. Try it and see for yourself.
Posted By: jford Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 02:17 AM
RealTracks are pre-recorded phrases. You can't specify the particular notes you want to be played. You'll have to use MIDI to do that. The problem is not necessarily that it's MIDI, but the synthesizer you use to play the MIDI. Some are better than others. Of course, you'll never get exactly the same sound as a live player, but that's life.

And what the folks on the board are telling you here is that the audience is just looking for a good time with music. Most people can't tell the difference, anyway. They just want to get on the floor and dance. Let your voice carry you, or let a RealTrack soloist carry you. If you're looking for absolutely exact-sounding instruments, then join a band. Hopefully they will always play in tune and tempo, always show up for the gig, and stay comfortably in the mix (turn up my amp, it's not loud enough!), etc.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 02:20 AM
All of our demos are made the normal way, which is to just use BB.

We typically spend about 5 minutes making a demo, typing in the chords (4 min) and generating the wma (1 min).

There are lots of great sounding user demos as well. Check out the off topic and user showcase forum.

Some of the user demos sound much better than ours...
E.g. Listen to forum member Carlos' recent demo here ... http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showfl...e=1&fpart=1
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 03:30 AM
carlos latin cowboy is by far the best ive heard using biab.

but it still sounds like sizzling live guitar with an electronic backing band.

The sax sounds good.

But most of the songs ive heard using BIAB sound very unexciting and ive checked everywhere!
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 04:31 AM
>>>But most of the songs ive heard using BIAB sound very unexciting and ive checked everywhere!

A few posts above you say the demos 'sound great', and that we must be 'mixing them in a pro studio'. Have these now become un-exciting?
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 04:38 AM
>>>But most of the songs ive heard using BIAB sound very unexciting and ive checked everywhere!

OK, then continue to listen to our demos, that you say sound so great that we must be specially mixing them in a pro studio. As mentioned, they aren't, that's just standard output from BB.
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 04:38 AM
lol good one.

I said the companies demos sound great, but no users do.

Show me a song where the real tracks used in those demo videos sound the same.

They cannot sound like that right out of a box, they must be tweaked, otherwise everybody would be sounding great, and they're not.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 04:48 AM
>>> They cannot sound like that right out of a box, they must be tweaked, otherwise everybody would be soudning great, and they're not.

Nope, no tweaking. Others can post their opinions, if the sound they get is the same as our demos.

In fact there are some user demos in the forum now, here's a user demo using nothing but BB tracks (all RealTracks except a BB MIDI track).
http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/listenrm.php?Download=56698

Does this demo sound worse to you than our demos (which you call 'great')?

Posted By: Rob Helms Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 04:49 AM
The real sounding midi is an age old arguement, that will never end. some sounds better than others, and some worse, still the flexability of midi is outstanding. I use better synths and constantly tweak them, as it is anever ending journey. I did a cover of Johnny B. goode a few years ago and beleive it or not the guitar lead was midi and sounded very nice (for midi) http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=468247&T=1179 Listen to it, sure it sounds like midi but not that bad (cept the singing) I have done other midi leads that sound not so good. If you are going to find fault with every nuance of the process, you should take up tennis, seriously it will drive you wild.

Do you play all the instruments? If so then play everything live and do not use midi, if you are not a f instrument player then do the best you can use mid where it works, use RTs where they work, use loops where they fit, play what you can. You have to realize that midi is midi, learn to use it and where to use it, also remember that if you play live on most sound systems it all starts to sound the same after a while and no one cares.

Unexciting, that is what i hear on the radio all the time, kinda make BiaB folks in good company.
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 05:23 AM
no it sounds like midi. But for Jazz fusion it works, jazz fusion has always had a touch of electronica in it.

show me a rock song, show me a pop song. and not the ones on top of the page, i listsned to thos already.
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 05:26 AM
went to the page, no play when i hit play, plus johnny b goode is not on the list.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 05:28 AM
I'll tell you what PitB, let's see you make any song, demo, or jingle that sounds better than the demos here, or the songs the users make, and then you can complain, show us one song you have done that we can point to.

I have over 50 songs i have done with RB, and most of them are midi, and most have one or two RTs in them, and i use TTS, Sampletank, and a couple other synths, i work hard on them and learn something at every setting. I suggest you do the same, stop knockin it until you tried it.

I recently learn a ton about making a midi, yes the dreaded midi background vocal patch sound pretty darned good. You wanna know how i did it? hard work and effort. Feel free to jump in and produce something, that will make us take notice.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 05:43 AM
))) no it sounds like midi. But for Jazz fusion it works, jazz fusion has always had a touch of electronica in it.

It isn't jazz fusion, it is smooth jazz. If you are hearing something that sounds like MIDI, the likely explanation would be your speakers. Try listening through headphones. There aren't any MIDI tracks there except the strings.

Anyway, this is what BB sounds like. The point with that demo was to answer your request to hear a user demo that sounds like one of our demos - which I did.
Posted By: critter Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 05:58 AM
My stars dude, just play all the instruments yourself, record it on a digital daw, and forget the rest. That way when your done mixing, it is what it is. Bashing PG Music won't cure your problem. Not trying to start an argument, but for all of us here, this stuff works fantastic.
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 06:20 AM
Peter, first off- thanks for including my track. You have no idea how freakin fun your efforts have given me over the past month. Or, maybe you do. I'm a long time musician and recordist and I must tell you, with all the gear and software I've used it's tough to quicken me now. You have done so my friend, in a big way. This opens up so much. Thank you for that. And thank you for such active support in continuing to make the product better. That's as great as the software itself.

To the OP, in a nutshell you can get WAY better sounds than the demos. It's up to the individual, their interest in doing so, and their ability to do so. You can make even realtracks sound ho-hum if you don't care or even try to create a dynamic, flattering mix. Or, they can be as slickly produced as you can muster. There's no studio trickery in those demos. That's the very LEAST good it can sound. The possibilities go as far as the operator can take it, mix wise, including rock or pop.

Dan
Posted By: critter Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 06:56 AM
Here, here , to that........I am still working on a lot of songs, looking for the magic moment. With 2010.5 the LA Rock stuff has changed a few of the ideas. I am an old rocker and love what keeps coming along.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 07:04 AM
Playing in the band,
Quote:

no it sounds like midi

I just had a listen to the song that prompted you to make the above statement. I'm not quite sure how you can hear this song as MIDI. Your statement has me puzzled. Do you have much experience with MIDI? The more I read your posts, the more I find myself wondering what your concept of what MIDI is. To me it seems as though you have an idea (maybe sound) in your mind that you associate with "MIDI" and that this idea or sound is quite divergent from the actual reality of MIDI.

Good luck with your hunt.
Noel
Posted By: deltagolf Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 08:50 AM
Hi there "Playin In The Band"

I do consider myself being your "regular joe" as you mentioned it. I don't create backing-tracks since I don't play any instrument anymore. But I enjoy endless hours on the computer "creating" music just for fun.

To my ears this doesn't sound MIDI at all.
http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/viewprivtrack.php?trackid=56655

And one other tune I'm working on right now (don't judge the piano voices -all MIDI - they still have to be refined). But ALL music was created by BIAB - even the melody. Of course it sounds like elevator music [sic]. BUT ! you won't believe how much fun I had creating and mixing and re-mixing etc..

http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/viewprivtrack.php?trackid=56684

As I get more experienced mixing, panning, EQ'eing I get better results. To tell you the truth - I sometimes get goospimples out of joy when I listen to the final mixdown after creating some good stuff (only to find out the next morning it isn't good stuff at all - time to re-mix, he-he - that's part of the fun).

(edit) I have to add that I'm still relatively new to BIAB (use it for less than two years - sparetime only) and I'm still scratchin only on the surface of this absolutely stunning software package.

Daniel
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 11:35 AM
Well I would buying BIAB so that I could get better results than Im getting, not get worse results.

And I could post a song done in a pro studio with 96 tracks and you still wouldnt admit it sounded better than BIAB, so thats a little rediculous asking me. As if u'd say "wow, I was dead wrong, this blows aways anything here... You are sooooooo right PITB...

chuckles...
Posted By: Mac Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 11:38 AM
This one just made the IGNORE[/i} list...

troll
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 11:38 AM
smooth jazz IS jazz fusion. It's jazz, pop and rock combined...fused genres.

When you say their arent any midi tracks in there, that doesnt strenghten your argument, cause anybody with ears can tell thats not a real band. Call it midi, call it what u like, it's not a band.
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 11:41 AM
But if I play all the instruments myself why do I need BIAB?

And Im not bashing it, It is a great tool and a great piece of software to own for many reasons. But I dont believe it's for professional recording.
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 11:45 AM
The overal vibe I get when listening to somethng produced in Biab is that the music is happening in slow motion.

Almost as if there is a magnet pulling all the music together into one spot as it glides along from passage to passage.

Almost as if the music is recorded and your playing it back on a tape deck or cd player and then jamming or singing over it.

If thats all in my imagaination, Im in trouble
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 11:57 AM
it sounds like Midi via playback. That slow swushing wall of sound that ducks in and out of chord changes.

Not neccessarily the individual sounds but the sound of it as it's playing.

If that sounds real to you or live to you, I dont know what to tell ya.

When I emailed you to ask if your song "loving you" was done in BIAB, you said no.

Isn't it interesting how I picked that one out of all your songs? I wanted to that have been done
in BIAB, but it wasn't.

Still sounded like drum machine and such, but it was acceptable to me.
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 12:04 PM
sounds ok, yet not real.

too perfect of timing and not alot of brightness to it, it's dull sounding.

it's fine for a run of the mill demo, it's just it's hard enough to write a song that
is authentic, if you record it unauthentically, it's going to hurt it's overall effect
Posted By: deltagolf Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 12:24 PM
o.k. - I'll take it as constructive criticism. Needs work. Brightness would be no problem - but I want to avoid going into the direction of todays modern way of mixing (a lot of extremely thin and pale sounding instruments , e.g. a strumming guitar without sound - only the actual strumming being heard). I like to keep it warm and natural. Probably vary a bit tempo and slide one or the other track a wee bit out of "click" here and there would be an idea. Thanks.
Daniel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 01:08 PM
Hi deltagolf,

I just listened to your song on Songramp. It's brilliant! I loved it. There's nothing I'd change. I thought it was happy, cheerful, skillful and mixed perfectly! An awesome job.

You should paste the link to this song in the new "User Showcase" Forum and see what others think

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=usershowcase

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: deltagolf Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 01:47 PM
Hi Noel
Thank you. An unexpected heads-up from one of the masters!
Maybe I will (don't know though which one you mean). They both still need some attention to detail. Unfortunately the song details are on the "old" BIAB 2010 harddrive which I stowed away after receiving 2010.5. Therefore I don't have access to the original BIAB files right now for the details. Guess I'll have to plug it in again to retrieve the data. I usually move the wav and MIDI files to another harddrive for further processing after BIAB has done it's magic.
Thanks.
Best, Daniel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 02:14 PM
Hi Daniel

You made me smile You know, I have NEVER read my name and "master" in the same sentence before! LOL. I wish!
Quote:

Maybe I will (don't know though which one you mean)

If you click on the link in my above post, it will take you to the new forum. (You can access it by clicking on "Forums" located between "Products" and "Support" on the upper most menu.) People would love to hear this song of yours! Trust me. I can already see the skid marks on MarioD's monitor that will arise when he drags your song into his keeper folder

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: John Conley Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 03:21 PM
Obviously the guy never looked up Oliver Gannon or Miles Black or Neil Swanson.

All major contributors and one them an award winning jazz guitarist and brother of Peter Gannon.

Walk in, bash people, and their backgrounds and say they know nothing?

As Mac said <ignore> USERIDX </ignore>
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 03:50 PM
who bashed anyone? Who bashed anyone's background? Saying somebody's demo doesn't sound like a real band is not bashing, it's observing and giving in opinion. Doesn't mean the music sucks or the artists sucks, it just means that the backing tracks arent doing them any favors.

Sounds like you're upset with my opinion, and so u need a rallying cry of "he comes in bashes people...ill put him on ignore"

maybe you're afraid im right, and others might believe me.

I doubt they will believe me, they seem pretty darned convinced this is the the rolling stones or
mccoy tyner in a box.

Keep making me the bad guy though, it's telling.
Posted By: jford Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 04:50 PM
Hey, PITB -

Obviously you don't like MIDI sounds (and that would have to include any and all applications, synthesizers, keyboards, soundcards, etc. that processes MIDI). So don't use MIDI. Just because it doesn't float your boat doesn't mean others shouldn't use it. If you don't like what others have done using MIDI, don't listen to them or buy them. That's your choice. If BIAB doesn't meet your needs, then move on and find something that does.

I just don't see what you're looking for here? What's your point?
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 04:55 PM
Well I thought I might find people like myself who were using biab to record their music at home.

I heard Zan's song which I thought was good, just didnt think it sounded much different than doing a sequence of decent midi files.

People keep telling me how great it is, as ive said the only thing that sounded great was the company demos. If i couild get that sound id be 70% satisified. but nobody sounds like that, and ive loooked around. it's hard to find references because people usually dont state "here is my album, everything was done in biab"

so could be more around that I cant search for
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 05:31 PM
So what i have gathered so far is that you do not think that BiaB sounds like a real live band of professional musicians right? Well no stinking duh, it isn't.

Look If you can't play anything you are stuck with midi and audio looping type technology. Sorry, but Peter Gannon can not make you a grammy winner. he gave you and the rest of us a tool. How you use it and what results you get are up to you. Most of the song and demos you are critical, of are done by amatures, beginners, and regular guys who played in a band years ago, and just love making music in the "studio/3rd bedroom" There are a few here that play out live and make backing tracks with the software. Are they as good as a 5 piece real band, no, but still good enough for the purpose. They also come with far less problems, no differences of opinion, and no drama. Some of it is very nice. There are a few that use it to record albums, not entirely in BiaB mind you but a track bed is built there, and then processed in whatever DAW one likes. BiaB was never intended as a full recording studio, it is a arragement tool. The tracks are available to use as you have the skills.

If you go back to my link (JBG was not there it is on a different page), play "together they stand" All made in BiaB with the exception of the lead guitar, and vocals. Not perfect mind you but cleanly recorded. It has flaws for sure, but not canned sounding. I mixed it in a separate program. Could it be better, sure i could learn to play the piano, and not rely on a computer to generate that track, but hey i can't, so I used what is available.

This is what everyone is talking about, start with BiaB, but learn the whole gammet of tools. Heck if you are not a musician, of any sorts you have to learn to use some kind of instrument even if that is software. There is not program you can type in chords and out pops a platinum album. It takes a lot of work, and you sitting around critcizing other work does not get it done. If this program is not for you, and you feel you can not learn it well enough, ot gain some value, move on. I have heard some good music come out of this as a basis, i have heard some clunkers as well. There are a lot of folks out there that use this that do not post music here, and many who use it as a tool to work out stuff. If you can not make decent sounding music with this program, how do you expect to make it with anything else? You said you do not play all the instruments right? Well how you gonna get there? Humanize the midi track, use efects and other techniques to make it better. It's up to you.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 05:52 PM
>>> it's hard to find references because people usually dont state "here is my album, everything was done in biab"

OK, if you're looking for "here is my album, everything was done in biab"... here ya go....

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showfl...true#Post214063

... and yes, this sounds better than our demos....
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 06:04 PM
PITB

These RT Demos sound good, probably because each RT was recorded in a professional studio - not the demos. Maybe we the users tweak too much and we should leave the RTs alone. Midi is only as good as your synth. Hardware synths better than software. Midi gives more soloist/melodist flexibility. RTs at this point in time give less flexibility. Time-wise it's faster to edit midi, longer to edit RTs. Trade-offs, trade-offs - each has their strengths.

What are your goals? Make music? The more you worry about perfection, the less gets done. Why are you worried about the sound of the demos? If you think somebody is trying to sell you the impossible dream, then nothing anybody on the forum says will ever make a difference - you are who you are and that will probably never change. The software is what it is - accept it or not - everything else is really irrelevant, or the User's challenge.

Luck - Ian
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 06:26 PM
still hard to find references. He doesnt mention BIAB does he?

That's a pretty good sounding recording, really good actually, the sax sounds best which is the featured instrument sounds very big and rich.

The backing tracks also sound good, it's done well.

But you keep showing me jazz samples, this software was made with jazz and blues in mind because the music just has to follow the featured instrument.

This is a good sample but show me something with guitars and singing in the mix.

As a side note, there might be more people like me, who hear what they hear on this site and then scratch their head, you might wanna put up real examples like this and others to showcase what the program can do.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 06:32 PM
Quote:

This is a good sample but show me something with guitars and singing in the mix.

As a side note, there might be more people like me, who hear what they hear on this site and then scratch their head, you might wanna put up real examples like this and others to showcase what the program can do.

Good suggestion. Thanks.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 06:34 PM

>> still hard to find references. He doesnt mention BIAB does he?

Yes, he does. Read the first line of the link ( http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showfl...true#Post214063 ), where he says ...
"I've just recorded a CD on sax (and a bit of clarinet), using nothing but Band-in-a-box as backing"

>> As a side note, there might be more people like me, who hear what they hear on this site and then scratch their head, you might wanna put up real examples like this and others to showcase what the program can do.

Yes, a good idea, and we have added a User Showcase Forum recently.
Posted By: silvertones Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 06:42 PM
How'd I miss getting involved in this?
Mac which one is the troll?
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 08:53 PM
Playin in the band- I don't think you're on the wrong track with your inquiry. You're just misguided. And judging from your observations on how great the online demos are, your knowledge of a well put together chart and musical sound are of a beginner level. I don't mean that as a put-down mind you. But anyone who claims the demos are the best they've heard has limited knowledge of the whole process, and at the very least, the software itself.

First off, can we hear some of your work please? I don't take anyone particularly seriously when they say anything, claim anything, or give advice until I hear their work. Then I truly know where they are coming from musically.

But, you are right to question. It's no small chunk of change to buy this software. I guess you can buy the least expensive package, which isn't a ton of scratch. But the better packages are some bucks, for sure. And it's the bigger packages that offer the most flexibility right out of the box. I questioned this software, the sound of it, and the usefulness of it for my working style before I bought too. So, you're right to question. Where you run off the tracks is how you're reasoning it all out. I believe that's because you're a youngin. A kid.

Here's the difference between my reasoning before I bought, and yours.

- I questioned sound quality. I listened to the demos and heard the potential to sound great. The potential to augment my multitrack recordings. The potential to fit into a professional multitrack production. You hear the demos as the best it can sound and the best results the software can give you. Amusing, really- and very telling.

- I listened to other peoples work with the software to help balance my desicion. Another perspective, if you will. And I listened to a LOT of samples. But that didn't factor in at ALL to my desicion. That only tells me how good someone else is, not how good I CAN BE WITH IT. You listen to other peoples work and judge how good you'll be with it. Wrong. Again, telling. Great sounding work with biab is only really a reflection of how good THAT person is, not you. It CAN give you an idea of how good things can sound, true. It'd be nice to hear tons of amazing work, to help with a desicion right? But that trap is common to the inexperienced. Believe me when I tell you- the best of software will sound like ASS in the hands of the inexperienced. That goes for ANY software, or gear for that matter. The industry is chock full of people spending thousands of dollars for the next peice of gear or software that's gonna make their work sound amazing. Retailers depend on it! Truth is, only people with enough knowledge and experience realize that any software or gear is only an EXTENSION of their ability, and not the ability itself.

In the end you are actually right in a way. Biab isn't a magic bullet. It won't make you sound like a rock star all on it's own. Writing a chart and putting some instruments in it will not automatically make an awesome sounding product. It's simply another tool- a very powerful tool. Give it to someone with advanced talent, and they'll make an awesome sounding track. It has that potential. Not always by just using the program stock, but with integration with your own live tracks- assuming THOSE performances are good enough too. People with advanced skills don't base THEIR potential on demos! LOL! If you're observing enough, the potential with this software is obvious. Give it to someone with intermediate skills, and you can make a wonderful track. A real toe-tapper. It may not sound completely authentic. It may sound a bit ridgid. A bit forced. The mix may be questionable. This software gives enough power to hang yourself quite frankly, at the intermediate level. The power REALLY comes in at the beginner level. These folks can't even play an instrument. They can't fathom what the first chord in a piece of music should be, let alone the next. And yet with this software, they can make a song. For many people that's where the true joy is- just creating music. Not grammy worthy music. Just music. Their OWN music. That's the beauty of what biab has become now, and where it's headed. It's absolutely useful for seasoned pros, and a godsend for beginners. Kudos PG.

If you want to make rock or pop records and you can't hear the potential of biab to help you in that cause, the answer is actually very simple. Get yourself a rockin band, rehearse your asses off, hit record, and make a record. No body is twisting your arm to buy this software. If you think it could help you, give it a spin. But if you think biab alone will make you an amazing recording artist, or sound like an unblieveable mixing engineer, or automatically pop out grammy winning results, you are, as I believe you to be, an inexperienced youngster. Whether biab will get you where you want to be is completely up to YOUR ability.

Good luck.

Dan
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 09:44 PM
I think compared to what people here are doing with BIAB, the company demos are great. They are not great for what they bring musically, just the sound of the tracks sound far and above better than anything ive heard here. Thats all I said. And Im wondering why.

If that makes me misguided, so be it.

My knowledge of charts has nothing to do with that perspective, I dont chart anything...i'm a singer songwriter of a rock persuation. The rolling stones don't chart...lol...Stevie Ray Vaugn doesn't chart.

Any singer songwriter stuff ive ever heard using BIAB always sounded mechanical,
but it works for jazz music the best.

I also play blues guitar and I can see the value of the program for that.

But rememeber as misguided as you may think I am, im buying the program for me, not for you. It's what I think it will do for me, and im trying to find that out.

And what you say about begginners getting the most benefit, that is the most on spot thing u've said yet. There is no question that if you dont know anything about music, you wont make anything worth while, but you might make something that SOUNDS good, if the SOUNDS are really there. I mean all you need is two chords going back and forth to SOUND good. Play Twsit and Shout by The Beatles C F G, and it should SOUND good, You got one guitar, a bass, drums and Piano...it should SOUND good, but not everybody is SOUNDING good using BIAB.

I write songs, tons. I want to record them. I play guitar and can program EZ drummer. I can buy a bass and fake my way on bass, I can fake my way on Piano
or I can get somebody to play on everything I write. We're talking lots of money, time and reliance on other people.

And at 40 years old, who puts an ad in the papaer saying "Guy looking for form original band" YEAHHH LEts get a record DeaLLLL lol

Im looking to be in charge of my own music and recordings.

Musical Knowledge has nothing to do with it. The Ramones wrote great, and I mean GREAT pop songs, and they knew three chords.

If you think it doesn't take skill to write great pop/rock songs i believe u may be the misguided one.

But we'll argue about that later.
Posted By: CarlosEArellano Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 10:07 PM
Cita:

Truth is, only people with enough knowledge and experience realize that any software or gear is only an EXTENSION of their ability, and not the ability itself.

Dan, you are my day hero This sentence deserves to be carved in metal at the welcome plate of each software corporation in the world.

Carlos
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 10:21 PM
Well then why dont all artists use BIAB to release their albums?

Surely bob Dylan has proven himself to be one of the worlds great songwriters, Band In A BOX would only then be an extension of his ability, I havent seen him relesae an album using BIAB yet, but it may be coming, due to this post.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/30/10 11:26 PM
"Surely bob Dylan has proven himself to be one of the worlds great songwriters, Band In A BOX would only then be an extension of his ability, I havent seen him relesae an album using BIAB yet, but it may be coming, due to this post."

That is the sillyist thing i have ever heard. Bob Dylan is a long time professional musician, who records in a pro studio with a group of very talented musicians. You are a one instrument player who has no one else to play with, like a lot of us, we play alone. Most of us have limited talent. I play the guitar and the bass, and a little piano, and a little drums. But i do not play all of them well enough to turn out high end stuff. Evidently you are in the same boat.

If you want to be a singer song writer, you can play the guitar, fake the bass and piano, and program EZ drummer, or use a program like BiaB to build the track base, drums and piano, and bass and overdub guitar tracks to it and sing over it. The problem is that if you are a mediocre bass and piano player, you will get less than stellar results. So if the BiaB tracks are a tad mechanical, that is still usually better than poorly played and badly recorded tracks. I think you are being a way bit over critical of some of the music on this site. Sure most of the tracks are less than commercial grade, but some of the tracks are fairly decent. Most of these folks if they were to really have the desire they could mix and master the stuff and get better results.

Guys Like Carlos., Mike the Sax dude, and a few others can make great tracks. That proves it can be done. I remember this same old tired conversation over Loop based recording at Acidplanet.com, and the same over midi at cakewalk. Tools do not build a house carpenters do.

My suggestion for you is to prove it to. Make some great rock tracks. Hone your skills! Or muddle thru some average skill played bass piano, and programmed drum track and live with that.
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 12:00 AM
"Surely bob Dylan has proven himself to be one of the worlds great songwriters, Band In A BOX would only then be an extension of his ability, I havent seen him relesae an album using BIAB yet, but it may be coming, due to this post."

That is the sillyist thing i have ever heard. Bob Dylan is a long time professional musician, who records in a pro studio with a group of very talented musicians. You are a one instrument player who has no one else to play with, like a lot of us, we play alone. Most of us have limited talent. I play the guitar and the bass, and a little piano, and a little drums. But i do not play all of them well enough to turn out high end stuff. Evidently you are in the same boat.

So what you saying is that you can't get professional track recordings with BIAB. Bob Dylan doesnt play bass does he? I dont know he plays Piano either. He needs bass and Paino on his songs too.

If BIAB was as good as a real band, he could save money using BIAB.

I know im being facetious, but many real musicians wont respect somebody who releases an album using BIAB tracks. But many do acknoweldged BIAB as a good tool.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 01:05 AM
Hi PITB,

You've certainly done your homework. I've got to say that I really admire your thoroughness. My advice to you is, "if in doubt, don't". As many have already said, a tool is only as good as the person who uses it. If, after all your questions and investigations, you cannot see how to use BIAB in your particular circumstances then, to my way of thinking, that means that BIAB is not for you at this point in time; maybe one day it will be.

All the best with your songwriting,
Noel
Posted By: RayThigpen Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 04:35 AM

A person's mind, changed against his will, is of the same opinion still.

Why even bother with this one....

Mac had the best idea.
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 05:06 AM
yes indeed, but it's still possible you will change your mind.

Mac was wrong, why ignore somebody cause they disagree with you.
Posted By: critter Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 05:34 AM
Amen and Amen.............Ignore what is unworthy, and go with the truth, that is, with PG Music..........It is what it is and we at the forum saw that it was good..............Amen
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 05:42 AM
Mighty harsh words, calling somebody you dont know unworthy. Where did you earn the right to call anybody unworthy?
Posted By: MartinB Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 10:29 AM
There is this story of those guys -> a mathematician, a sociologist and an engineer sitting in a train riding through some foreign country. Looking out of the window, they get aware of a lonely black sheep grazing calmly on a lush meadow. The sociologist infers that in this country likely all sheep are black ... whereas the engineer concludes sharply -> wait - you may just say that in this country at least one sheep is black. Now the mathematician smiles and states, well - thoroughly you may just infer that in this country at least one sheep is black on one side ...

Ya' know, critter never stated that you are unworthy. It's seemingly just his opinion that s.th. posted here seems unworthy ... (whatever that means)
Posted By: the_blooze Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 12:55 PM
Best piece of advice I ever got:

Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man!

I hope this is taken in the lighthearted manner in which its meant.
Posted By: rich in ca Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 04:07 PM
Just in case you are not merely an antagonist...
Kenny G or the like = smooth jazz
Al Dimeola, Chick Corea and the like = jazz fusion

As for your reluctance to post your work(s), supposedly due fear of unfair critique from the forum, let us know when Al Dimeola invites you to 'Play in the Band'
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 04:31 PM
I Dont Write Jazz music, I wont Need Al Dimeloa. But I'm sure he requests your presence on his latest album.

It's still all fusion=fusing genres. But for sake of technicality...ok

But I'll post some stuff. If you are going to look at it through the eyes of a jazz enthusiast, it's not going to mean anything to you.

But Remember Sanborn has played with David Bowie, music is music.

One rock song, one pop song... fire away

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1091545
Posted By: jford Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 04:49 PM
Hey, PITB -

I like it! Tell us more about the songs. Are you the vocalist?

Sounds to me like you're looking more for a rock guitar sound than anything else. There are several RealTracks to do that kind of thing, but you won't be able to tell the RealTracks exactly what to play, so you can't necessarily get the exact solo or riff you might be looking for. But over time, more RealTracks will be coming.

I enjoyed both songs, however. I loved the harmony on "Daydream Night". Just tell use more about how you put them together.
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 05:06 PM
Thanks, it's basicly my songs, me singing and playing guitar. used ez drummer for drums and there's no bass or anything else in there, hence that's why Im looking for a broader solution.
Posted By: redguitars Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 05:09 PM
Hi there,

I've been following this thread a bit. I think you wanted to hear some songs with Guitar and Vocals.
Check out my link. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=835626
Three songs are old and one is newer
All MIDI but the Vocals and Guitars.
All done with Sound Canvas Box and VSC.
The old songs had a bit of editing in MIDI.
Now I'm just trying to play again.

The newer one "Craylike Jam" I just played to it and didn't do a thing. Kind of sloppy, but I dig it.

Check them out if you like.

The three old songs were taken from cassette recordings.

Wayne,
Posted By: earl kirby Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 05:24 PM
WOW!! PITB. you really don't need BIAB. I took the time to check out your tunes. Can't believe it. There really
isn't anything nice I can say about them! Momma taught me if I couldn't say anything nice, not to say anything at all. No more posts by me on THIS topic!
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 05:31 PM
nice playing, the software was made for this kind of stuff.

Like Mr Cray myself
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 05:33 PM
Very credibile critique kirby.
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 07:28 PM
The only comments I have about your tracks is that they sound as stiff and canned as you accuse biab users tracks of being, and like most people who have the tools to mix but can't, reverb is not your friend. Listen to the rock and pop demos, since you like the sound of the demos. If you like what you hear, try the software. If you don't, then don't. You have two threads here where you managed to insult almost every biab user here, as well for some reason, you're trying to call out the software for not being used on albums. I can't figure out whether you're a troll or an idiot. I'm going with an even mix of both. The kicker is that either way, you'll still sound as canned as you claim you're trying to avoid. There is NO software that will avoid that all on it's own. It's up to the talent of the user to rise above and on that point...I'm gonna leave it at that. And so, what if you learned that biab is used on tons of albums and there were tons of original rock and pop tunes done by users here that amazed you? Would THAT convince you to buy in and still sound like shit yourself? If for nothing else, I suggest you look elsewhere because I can't imagine many here who'd be willing to help you if you had a problem. Not after you've gone out of your way to let everyone know you think their work is sub par, while using software you don't think has a place in the professional world. If that ain't ass backwards and counter productive to figuring out if a product is right for you, I don't know what is. Even I forgot the golden rule- ignore a troll. Shame on me. I can be as nice as pie but if someone is gonna be a schmuck, they're gonna get my schmucky side right back. Do yourself a favor and cop to being a troll. A troll at least has some brains.

Dan
Posted By: DrDan Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 07:45 PM
Quote:

One rock song, one pop song... fire away

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1091545

Hey, nothing wrong with that, A generally good effort.

You seem to have rubbed a few folks the wrong way. We're kind of a "good-old-boys-club" here in the pgforum (gals too of course ). But, we are all adult and we all share a common love for making music. Based on your playing and your style I am confident that BIAB, combined with RB, would certainly enhance your end product.

While I don't have an album, I do have a collection of pieces I have compiled which virtually all involve\include BIAB content combined wiht live performance. Take a listen if you wish for more examples of how folks are using BIAB.
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 07:50 PM
Man you really are a stooge.

1. This is just a sample recording, two instruments.... a guitar and ez drummer. so what part is canned? Seriously, that made no sense.

2. I didnt say this was a great recording, it's just an idea tape. You are a moron if you cant see that.
This is not arranged in any way, it's just a rough recording.

That is why Im looking for better alternatives anyway.

Other people are posting their stuff demonstrating what they did in BIAB, and they think it sounds great. I dont think mine sounds great.

Nobody needs your help anyway, you've said nothing but moronic things say day 1.

A duh "it sounds as canned as you accuse others as sounding" lolll

there's one live instrument and programed drums...

But i'm really distraught over you not helping me out. you coulda made all the difference for this two track demo.

"I coulda been a contender"

tee hee, i should be paying for this, free laughs.
Posted By: DrDan Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 07:55 PM
Quote:

Hi there,

I've been following this thread a bit. I think you wanted to hear some songs with Guitar and Vocals.
Check out my link. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=835626

Wayne,

Wayne, these are screaming tunes! Great guitar chops and vocals.

Its unclear on your bio, ...have you recouperated and are you back to playing?
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 08:02 PM
Jazzy dan, nothing wrong with that, good work.

Sounds good, cool as the other side of the pillow.

There's no denying this stuff works for jazz and blues.

If you're a jammer, you will always have band members on your pc.

I have some blues stuff I could use it for too. So i may end up getting it anyway
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 08:03 PM
and Sundance, thanks for the kind words and advice... wink wink.
Posted By: silvertones Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 08:19 PM
PITB,

That stuff would be AWESOME dude if I were a fly!
Posted By: deltagolf Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 08:24 PM
Heya PITB
"Please Don't Let Me Know" won't help you now. I'll let you know. I like the song - lots of good stuff there already. And lots of crackles too, most obvious at 1.26 and 3.11. May I ask you what monitors you are mixing on? The sound seems very, very bright here on this side (Adam A7 +sub and cans Audio-Technica M50 + Sennheiser 650's). I guess I know now why you thought my mix to be somewhat dull...
Hats off for your guitar playing and vocals. I wish I could. Mixing is a very personal thing. That's part of the artistry, besides creating lyrics, singing and playing one ore more instruments. Guess you know that. Keep on it.
Cheers,
Daniel

edit after re-listening: why not bring this mighty guitar sound forward. I like it. Vox is not in the mix yet (to loud).
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 08:26 PM
if you were a fly, you're opinion would be worth something.

Doh, left yourself open.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 08:27 PM
Quote:

I listened to blue bayou and blue berry hill, i realize they are old songs but they sound far from real.

Your voice sounds good but the tracks sound like elevator music.

I think it's the mixing of midi, i dont hear many real tracks in there anyway.

As Mac has pointed already both Blue Berry Hill and Blue Bayou (I think) are all midi done a year or two before real tracks. In fact I am thinking the Mardi Gras tunes and a couple of the Country tunes are the only music on my site with real tracks. Then again maybe my audiences like elevator music, whatever the reason it works for me.

I would have responded sooner but I have been very busy playing those elevator music gigs.

Later,
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 08:28 PM
Thanks Delta,

it's been a mixed bag of reviews, you've got your rolling stone critics hammering it, and you got some regular joes saying they like it.

ahh the life of a home pc, rough recording star...
Posted By: deltagolf Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 08:35 PM
Regular Joes know what they like too. Read the edit in my post....
Daniel
ps: what's a regular Joe anyway?
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 08:55 PM
If you take a look back in this thread, I've given you the most lengthy helpful information I could muster. It's taken you two threads of negatively critiquing other peoples work and questioning the softwares viability to get nowhere. I stand by my suggestion that you're either a troll or an idiot, because it doesn't take this much nonsense to make a decision about a piece of software. Not for someone with brains, anyway, and not for someone with an ounce of respect for others.

This is why is not worth chumming up to a troll folks. They always show their true colors in the end. And btw, your critiques of other peoples work and recorded music is laughable.

The best advise I can now give you is to stick to bar bands and garages and if you're lucky, maybe they'll stick around after the beer is gone and do some recording with you. All things considered, you'll find biab a struggle and let me tell you, that's the most truthful and spot on advise you're gonna get.

And with that, he'll now buy the software. I've seen it all too many times.

I'm off the key now. I like to play nice, really I do.

Dan
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 09:10 PM
and my advice to you would be to hang on to your status as ...uhh... what is it again...errr...ahhhh,,,

oh yes, the Quincy Jones of the Pgmusic board.

Now when you bought the BIAB software, did it include some kind of key to knowing everything?

Did it include the written rights to assume you're above everyone else, and everyone needs your help.

I hope mine comes with a few cracks on boneheads like yourself. Im runnin low on the one liners, ill need a few more.
Posted By: jford Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 10:13 PM
Hey PITB -

Now you're just becoming a Pain In The Butt. This is starting to remind me of the time we were taken for a ride several years ago. The old timers know what I mean.

Over and Out
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: How Come The Demos... - 07/31/10 10:58 PM
I listened to your two demos, I think you could do a lot with BIAB. Here are some demos I've done with BIAB. I always try and mix some live stuff in to make it all seem more "real".

Rhonda (rockish): http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9294777

Country is in the Ear of the Beholder (country): http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8473778

Movie in My Head (rock): http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8775082

Ole Stomping Ground (Americana): http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8790679

She Was Made to be Played (alternative): http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8111400

At the bottom of each song I list the BIAB instruments used.

Kevin
Posted By: manning1 Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 12:17 AM
pitb.
i feel compelled to comment.
i havent had time to be on these user forums like normal due to various family
aspects/problems to deal with.
but heres my 2c fwiw.
1. YOU HAVE NOT SUGGESTED A BETTER ALTERNATIVE BETTER MUSIC CREATION SOLUTION.
for example in a typical daw software in the past one had to
laboriously create track after track which could take ages.
with this new biab/rb software paradigm it means a song creator like
myself can get a song idea down faster than traditional approaches
and try lots of different chord arrangement ideas.
frankly i wish i had have had this software when i started writing songs
decades ago.
in summary in the world of music software the rb/biab combo is unique.
i know of no other product that competes.
do you ??
for example ezdrummer is just drums, and can get rather
pricey, whereas with rb/biab your getting much more than just drums.
ive tried every approach out there.
2. you ask for album examples, but the software hasnt been out there in the market
for years n years. so obviously it takes a time for albums to appear.
thus your more likely to hear single songs.
which of course will vary in quality cos many folks are getting familiar
with the product.
for me i can tell you i wouldnt be doing elevator music.
it would be rock all the way mate and/or some MOR.
3. lets look at a typical album production cost.
it can easily run over 150k includeing session musicians in a major studio.
in many cases much much more.
how many people can afford that ??
ive done original songs on everything from bouncing useing two cassette deks thru
2 inch pro multitrack thru useing hi end mega studios, and in the latter
tho a nice environment i was going broke fast i can tell you.
frankly my only bitch is the pg pricing particularly for someone like myself with
other family responsibilities that stress me.
i would urge pg to consider lowering prices a tad.
3. the other aspect is the rb/biab software engineering itself.
i speak from decades of building software, and thus pg have my greatest
respect for bringing these products to market.
cos its not trivial software engineering imho.
in fact i'll go further and say my recommended music creation combo right now
is pg's rb/biab and reaper.
with respect pitb i would suggest you look at things in the following context.
a song to my mind is akin to building a house.
you start off with a foundation, gradually build up the house and then
add the fancy bits the wife wants..lol.
similarly consider biab/rb for trying out lots of different song foundations,
then once you get that "aha moment" get your bed traks right from
biab/rb and drop em into reaper (or your other preferred traditional
software, samp or ptools or cubase or sonar etc) and then add your final vocals and lead up front
traks and do final mixing.
of course you could do everything in rb/biab if you wish.
but different people use different approaches.

as i said show me a better solution to rb/biab.
i'm all ears and havent seen one.
please dont mention "painting loops".
i tried that once..drove me nuts.
its easy to knock anything, but imho the rb/biab plus real tracks
so one can have real session musicians on ones songs is
a significant breakthrough in music software engineering.
as others have said its how the user uses the tool .
all the best.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: How Come The Demos... *DELETED* - 08/01/10 12:42 AM
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 03:54 AM
Sure blame it all on me. I tell ya it's a crazy world we live in.

Here I was thinking this was the place to come for assistance and 411 on the pgmusic line. what i found is it's a hangout where people come to B.S. and
dont dare ask a question about the value of the software, or the swat team will come and surround ya.

online forums are really hilarious. No matter what the subject is, it could be fishing, it could automobiles, it could be a product forum, they all turn into virtual bars, where people come to meet people cause they cant in real life, and a place where the other users can be their bartender/therapist.

And you have a dispute with one, they all have a dispute with ya. Always admired the one's who could care a less what everyone else thinks, they treat u like an invididual.

But u'd be surprised how many people have no interest in the forum subject they particiapte in, they just go cause people are talking and somebody might listen to them.

"some times you wanna go, where everybody knows your name"
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 06:15 AM
>>> Here are some demos I've done with BIAB. I always try and mix some live stuff in to make it all seem more "real".

Great demos Kevin!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 10:54 AM
Quote:

Here I was thinking this was the place to come for assistance and 411 on the pgmusic line.

it is exactly that

Quote:

what i found is it's a hangout where people come to B.S.

You're right that many of the people here have come to enjoy one another's friendship and wisdom, so it is a bit like a club. But in my observation, everyone who has joined and interacted in a kind and respectful way has fit right in.

Quote:

and dont dare ask a question about the value of the software, or the swat team will come and surround ya.

lots of people ask questions here without stirring up trouble. In fact the vast majority of questions get asked and answered here with mutual respect. Almost all of them. 99.99999%

Quote:

online forums are really hilarious. No matter what the subject is, it could be fishing, it could automobiles, it could be a product forum, they all turn into virtual bars, where people come to meet people cause they cant in real life, and a place where the other users can be their bartender/therapist.

we all know why WE'RE here.. (to learn from others and share what we've learned ) but why are you here?

Quote:

And you have a dispute with one, they all have a dispute with ya.

There's an old saying that goes something like this:
If you have a problem with one person, you might chalk it up to personality differences.
If you have a problem with two people, you might just be having a bad day.
But if you have a problem with EVERYBODY, you should consider the statistical improbability that the whole world is wrong while you are the only one who's right. Therefore, if ALL your interactions go south, you are the only common denominator in all those interactions. Just a thought.

Quote:

Always admired the one's who could care a less what everyone else thinks, they treat u like an invididual.

yes, that is an admirable trait. I find that interaction is a lot like an echo... you tend to get back what you send out. Best way to receive kindness and respect is to send those things out.

Quote:

But u'd be surprised how many people have no interest in the forum subject they particiapte in, they just go cause people are talking and somebody might listen to them

"some times you wanna go, where everybody knows your name"

I think there's truth in that statement.

On a different note, I liked the clips you posted. I think that BIAB and REAL BAND can help you accomplish the goal you are after if you take time to learn the programs. RealTracks are a bit like LEGOs... don't confuse the quality of the building blocks with the quality of the projects built from them. It is possible to build a bad looking lego project from perfectly good legos. Song writing is a skill, and some use the building blocks of song writing more skillfully than others. The quality of your songs will be determined by your own skill level. IMHO, BIAB provides an excellent set of blocks to build with.

I hope that whatever answers you came looking for have been answered satisfactorily
Posted By: silvertones Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 11:38 AM
Officially on ignore.
Just in case you don't know what that is your posts will not show up on my computer any longer. Too bad cause maybe you might by the program and realize the error of your ways but no one will hear ya. No need to reply cause I won't see your post.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 12:19 PM
Hi PITB,

I liked your songs. In my opinion, you got a flair for music, lyrics and arrangement. It's good stuff. I got the impression that if you were let loose in a professional recording studio, you'd turn out some amazing material. In relation to BIAB, I think that many of your criticisms are related to production techniques that people have used. In these forums there are some professional players but only a couple of professional producers. From what I've read on the posts over the years, most of us here struggle with mixing and mastering. After hearing your work, I don't think that that will be a problem for you.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 01:59 PM
sounds good, actually I was guessing what was real and what wasn't and I was correct
on most of it, except for acoustic guitar because you have both real and real band acoustic, in there. lol

might be my opinion but I think that tends to clutter the mix when you have a real acoustic struming with a real band acoustic. If you use acoustic from real band, maybe play electric live over it, it might help to authenticate the acoustic more. or just playing a different part with acoustic like strum regualr chords on acosutic in real band, but then play higher voicing stuff on the live acosutic.
Playing them together makes one stand out over the other and you get a clash.

But it sounds pretty good thanks for sharing
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 02:10 PM
lol, what a regular riot you are.

I'll write a post anyway, in the exremely unlikely astronomical chance you still might be able to read my posts.

what's that you say "I might buy the software, realize the error of my ways, and then no one will hear it"

pssst buddy "this forum is not the whole world" lollllllllllllll, I can guarantee you SOMEBODY will hear it. might even be you. Stranger things have happened.

But what if I dont realize the error of my ways, then what? You say u will punish me if i do see the errror of my ways by not listening, well what do I get if there was no error in my ways, what if I was right?

Then how come I get nothing? Will you at least read my post so I can then punish you by giving you a busted link. Yes, deprive you of the listenign experience, because I was correct and you were wrong.

see now? fair is fair. It's a dog eat dog world and we're all wearing milk bone underwear.

Tee hee, what a card
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 02:13 PM
reasonable post
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 02:22 PM
Thanks chief. I think I would let loose in a pro studio, but I'd still need someone to play
tracks I dont feel comfortable playing.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 03:33 PM
PitB, What is puzzling me is why you are spending so much time battling folks here if you really don't care about there opinions? What are you defending?

Firstly several of us have offered real advive, but none of it has benn commented on or taken. here goes again, in a real attempt to be helpful. First off I wish i had heard your clips, i can't seem to find them on the page. From what others say your vocals and guitar sound nice, and the drums are adequate. Using BiaB and Rts as bass and a simple piano track would be very easy as far as being wooden or stiff, that is the purpose of RTs they are live recordings, chopped up and regenerated to match the bar markers and chord structure. Bass whether midi or RTs can sound fine in a mix if done right, it is far less critical than the lead guitar, and or backing guitars. Once you have a solid track bed of Real Drums and Real tracks bass, you can layer guitar to the cows come home, and add in a simple solid piano track and move on to the mixing and mastering phase.

I hope this is helpful. It is all this forum and program have to offer. there no other options, as you have said yourself. Try it see what you can do, put the effort into the program. If in 25 days you are not where you want to be ask for your money back and move on.

Oh and by the way Bob Dylan plays the piano quite well, in fact on some concerts he is the piano player. I am sure the old boy plays a nice bass as well.
Posted By: silvertones Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 04:16 PM
I thought I'd unignore you just so that I could make one last sincere post here to you.
You are absolutely correct. Most of us here, even though we never see each other, feel sort of like family. Peter Gannon is the head of that family. You'll not find a nicer guy at the head of such a great Company. I have seen Peter time & time again give away BIAB & RB to some one who was in a bad way but had been a member of this community. No we DO NOT LIKE ANYONE WHO JUST BLATANTLY BASHES THE PRODUCT.If you need help using the product we are all here to help. If you have a feature you'd like ,post it in the wish forums. If the product doesn't float your boat take your boat to another lake.
If you're a troll I feel sorry for you.
PS No matter what I'll never help you and I doubt anyone else will.
What I meant is that if we all have you on "ignore" even if you apologize no one will see it. It's really to bad if you are a sincere player because BIAB & RB can be a great tool and I think you've alienated this community to the point of no return.
Posted By: CeeBee Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 04:17 PM
Interesting thread. Unfortunately I can't open your soundclick page because it defaults to the first page. Is there another link to your music? I'd like to see what all the fuss is about.
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 04:32 PM
Well this post explains why I battle, cause it's me they respond to. Nobody will tell you to stop antagonizing me, they just will tell me to do it.

Why didn't you tell the last guy to stop trying to outcast me by saying "no one will listen" you only tell me to stop.

my posts started innocently, I didn't realize it was a board for "regulars" I thought it was a board for
asking questions about the BIAB program.

Had I known it a board with religious furor behind it, I'd of been careful not to question the dogma.

It's almost as if u all have stock in BIAB, and Im somehow depreciating the value of the shares by saying "gee I dont think this could be used for a pro recording" or why does the demos sound better than the users on the board", or why dont their demos sound real but they keep telling me it;s the greatest"

In the grand scheme of things I dont matter, my opinion is not going to hurt sales. Go to Amazon.com
every product there has reviews, some good some bad, if I thought a product was good, I still would never log into to amazon and tried to bully that person for making a bad review.

But thats what happened here, and worse, I wasnt even reviewing, I was basing on what ive heard.

I made a statement saying "the company probably records the tracks in a studio to make them sound better" I mean any person who has ever bought anything has had reservations and questions, but one guy says "THEY DO NOT RECORD THE TRACKS IN A STUDIO THEY ARE HONEST PEOPLE" lol

Would it make them dishonest for doing that? The demos just poofed out of nowhere, they dont have the recorded at all? Would you make them sound as bad as you can instead?

At any rate, If/when I get the set, Im going to get the whole thing. I dont think u can evaluate what it can for you with a basic set of styles. so wer'e talkin 500 or so, taking time to master it months maybe. it's a decent enough investment to be concerned over whether or not it's going to be good.

but basicly nobody is going to bully me into believing their way is the right way, I dont care how many users sign on for the important campaign of silencing me.

Tee hee, still a riot, I havent even bought the software yet, and Im reaping rewards... endless humourous antedotes
Posted By: DanL Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 05:28 PM
Wow, your last sentence kind of gives you away. Big shock. But, the way I see it, the postings here will probably sell the product to someone else who is lurking on the forum. They will see who's being fair and who is not.

BTW, I did get to hear your music and honestly, I thought it was ok. Too bad you're not being serious about it. If you were, you wouldn't be trolling on a forum to insult software, users, and potential listeners, as that's to sell anything - especially music.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 05:41 PM
Far too much effort has been wasted on this thread.
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 05:50 PM
I find it funny people react the way they do. i didnt "give away" anything. I thought I wrote a thorough explanation as to what happened, you still are finding fault with me however.

Nobody insulted the software, and nobody insulted anybody. At least not until they told me how stupid I was for asking if the software is worthwhile.

If you continue to make me the enemy, I'll be the enemy. But whatever you chose i still find it funny.
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 05:51 PM
I agree, and people still havent changed their ways. What else can we do except wait for them to see the light
Posted By: DanL Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 06:25 PM
Quote:

I find it funny people react the way they do. i didnt "give away" anything.

Sure you did, you said - "Tee hee, still a riot, I havent even bought the software yet, and Im reaping rewards... endless humourous antedotes " - only a troll would say something that warped.
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 06:29 PM
I said, I find it funny.

Last time im going to explain it.
Posted By: Bandmoose Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 07:12 PM
Doesn't this forum have a moderator? I'm still a newb around here...

Sure it's kind of amusing, this troll, but antagonism like PIAB is displaying has seen many otherwise healthy, respectful forums degrade into useless blather.

It's too bad, because this thread has some interesting disussion, some by PIAB. But too much of his troll-blather mixed in.

Placed on ignore.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 07:16 PM
Quote:

I agree, and people still havent changed their ways. What else can we do except wait for them to see the light

Please do not misconstrue my comment as being any expression of support for most of your posts.
Posted By: silvertones Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 07:28 PM
I'll forget everything that's been said and I'll address your original post. For some reason I missed it until the flames were flying. There is a caveat. If you are sincere say so drop this thread and we'll all move on. If you're not sincere please just leave.

Quote:

all sound great, but I dont see/hear anybody being able to get the sound they produce on those demo videos. They probably take the tracks and mix them and master them in a pro studio.

The people that do these are pros at it.

Quote:

They sound pretty close to real on those videos but all the stuff I hear with people using it sound like
maybe a tad above an auto arrangement you might find on a casio keyboard or something like that.

A might inflammatory. Some are not good but to say all is not accurate. You have not been around long enough to make that judgment.

Quote:

I think it's partially do to the fact that people still use midi mixed with their tracks which if you're doing covers, you probably have to do that, but I wanna hear a regular joe get the same results they are getting in those videos.

A regular Joe can't. They don't have all the skills especially in production.

I actually think Mac spelled it out quite nicely. The results are going to depend on your level of expertise and you better be top notch at everything. I'm sure there are a limited number of people using BIAB or RB to do pro recordings but there not going to give it away here if they even come here. I think once a person reaches the level of expertise to use these tools to do something really pro they won't.

Last but not least. It's a hell of a lot of fun to see just what you can do with it. I brought my lappy to a friend that has a band with a BIG sound system. It blew their minds. They are slightly above amateur and play the local clubs. My Real Band was 10 times above them.

OK PITB either lets move on productively or please just move on.
Thanks
Posted By: Chris_Kn Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 07:31 PM
To the OP,
Having read this thread a few times,plus being a noobie to BIAB,it took till now to reply.Given that you seem to be no better or worse a musician than most of us on these boards.Common sense would say try the product,if you wonder why people turn defensive?? it could be that you do seem to be knocking a product that seems to WORK for ALL that try it.If you want demos do some of your own,because BiaB /RB are only as good as the person using them.Remember that if you dont like a genre of music you may not be able to critique fairly,as you will not have listened to the genre to know anything about it,plus sound is all down to someones ear.What you may think is good someone else may dislike.At the end of the day you will or you wont buy into BiaB/RB.what you do wont influence me or anybody else,but it could help you.

Cheers Chris
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 07:41 PM
I didnt, I just agree with your sentiment. Too much time was wasted on this, yet people keep responding. you summed it up well.
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 07:52 PM
How do you know it's liked by all?

and I wasn't knocking the software. I mean people could compare two guitar amp emulators, and say "
well brand A is good for clean tones, but stinks for distortion sounds" and brand B is great for distortion but stinks for dirty sounds. And If we wrote that comparison on this board nobody would take offense to it.

But If I wrote BIAB is a great tool for songwriters and for students of music, but stinks for pro recording, I would be bashed.

Maybe it is good for creating/recording realistic tracks, but maybe it's not. no one product is all things to everyone, yet everyone here thinks it is. Thats part of it, goes back to a few posts ago, where I said I didnt know this was a buddy buddy forum, but a tech forum.

truth is, any jazz or blues type person I know has nothing but good things to say about it, or they have heard good things about it, but I dont know many recording artists who are using it. I dont know of any engineers who run a studio and use BIAB to produce tracks for clients and charge them.

So maybe it's somewhere in the middle of everything, but dont dare suggest that. Yikes
Posted By: Playin In The Band Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 07:55 PM
Well your answers to my statements are in the ball park of what I said, but I was a troll for saying it.

Go figure.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/01/10 10:55 PM
Quote:

>>> Here are some demos I've done with BIAB. I always try and mix some live stuff in to make it all seem more "real".

Great demos Kevin!

Thanks, I really have enjoyed using BIAB to enhance what I could do. Just getting the bass and drums makes it all worthwhile (Ok, the guitars, pedal steel, fiddles, banjos, horns, midi stuff really helps, too -- ha, ha). Still have a long way to go on making it the best it can be, though. If I ever take the time to mix, eq and master I bet I could make it near perfect. Of course I won't -- it is always time to move onto the next song.

Thanks for a great product.

Kevin
Posted By: rharv Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/02/10 01:03 PM
Quote:

I dont know of any engineers who run a studio and use BIAB to produce tracks for clients and charge them.

So maybe it's somewhere in the middle of everything, but dont dare suggest that. Yikes

They exist. You just don't know about them..
I, for one, have made money with realtracks, and I know a few others personally that have also.
I prefer Realband, the companion product, to work in though. I'm guessing you would too. But the others I know prefer to use BiaB.
It's much easier to compile a track of various licks, then treat the tracks with VST FX,etc in RB (for me anyway)
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: How Come The Demos... - 08/03/10 11:56 AM
Quote:

Well your answers to my statements are in the ball park of what I said, but I was a troll for saying it.

Go figure.

PITB, a troll is somebody whose posts to a forum are inflammatory and reaction-seeking. What makes your posts different from those of others who ask questions is that your replies often include testy little comments. Such posting is what brands somebody as a troll. If you would simply omit the self-defense part of your replies, there would be no problem. Lay your thought on the table and walk away from it and it will stand as your valid opinion. But when you keep adding self-justification comments and nose-snits, you undermine yourself.

I wish you'd just buy the software and start posting your own results so we can hear how good you really are. I think you will totally enjoy it. It can easily and quickly add the parts you don't want to play. That is basically what you want, right? It has most of the functionality of other DAW programs, plus many music automation features that aren't available elsewhere. If you liked the demos, Go for it. MANY demo songs are included, which can be edited or rearranged into new compositions. The online demos are generated directly from the demos included in the package. No special tweaking. If you tweak your songs, they can be even better. Buy the software and the rest is up to your creative ability.

I look forward to hearing your BIAB/RT generated stuff. I predict you will love it.
© PG Music Forums