PG Music Home
Posted By: The harpster TAGS - 09/20/10 05:10 PM
What is a TAG, and what is it's purpose?
How do you tag a bar?
Also, what is a TAG 4X mean?
I saw this on a 3rd. party prearranged BIAB file.
Thanks in advance,
Walt
Posted By: The harpster Re: TAGS - 09/20/10 05:12 PM
Added:::
There must be help files on this somewhere...!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: TAGS - 09/20/10 05:31 PM
A Tag is like a CODA, used to end a song. In jazz it is often called an Outtro (as opposed to an Intro).

To make it work in BIAB, click on Help and search for Tag; the first entry is what you need, the "Song Settings Dialog".

Access the Tag settings by Ctrl+N, or by clicking on the little box marked "S" between the name of the song and the "Memo" box.

I am not familiar with how to get a tag to have a repeat; I will be interested in the answer to that part of your question.
Posted By: The harpster Re: TAGS - 09/20/10 06:02 PM
Matt,
Thanks for pointing this out to me.
I set the TAG in the song, but it didn't do what I wanted it to do, I'll fool with it, at least now I know what it is and where.
Also, when I open the help file in BIAB ( Far right in top tool bar) all that opens is Windows help, not BIAB help.???
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: TAGS - 09/20/10 07:12 PM
For BIAB Help, click on Help on the row of menu options, starting with File, Edit, Styles, etc.

Or, like most Windows programs, just press F1.
Posted By: The harpster Re: TAGS - 09/20/10 07:56 PM
Matt, all it does is open Windows, there are no BIAB help files.???
Posted By: rharv Re: TAGS - 09/20/10 08:11 PM
Do you have the drive connected? Maybe BiaB can't find the help file..
Posted By: botma Re: TAGS - 09/20/10 09:31 PM
27. How do I use tag endings? Why does the 'tag exists' box sometimes become unchecked automatically?

In Band-in-a-Box, a tag is a group of bars played after the final chorus of a song. You can find tag settings under Edit | Settings (for this song). Set the 'Tag exists' field to Yes and then choose the tag starting and ending bars. If you have "Generate 2 bar ending" selected, the ending will play automatically after the tag.

Note that the tag will only work if there is more than one chorus. If you placed a checkmark in the 'tag exists' box in the song settings dialog, and it became unchecked, this means that your song is set to have only one chorus. In this case a tag is irrelevant because it would simply be the last bars in your chorus.

Matt, I don't think biab will repeat in a Tag. If there is a repeat I just copy the repeat and paste it. Then change the bar ending Tag number. Just makes more pages to print out.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: TAGS - 09/20/10 11:09 PM
Quote:

Matt, I don't think biab will repeat in a Tag. If there is a repeat I just copy the repeat and paste it. Then change the bar ending Tag number.

I agree, but BIAB is so powerful, I never discount the possibility there is some feature I don't know about.
Posted By: The harpster Re: TAGS - 09/21/10 11:38 PM
rharv,
I don't know what you mean by drive connected.???
You wrote:
Do you have the drive connected? Maybe BiaB can't find the help file..
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: TAGS - 09/22/10 12:20 AM
I think Bob is making the reasonable assumption that you might run BIAB from an external drive, since increasingly the program is sold that way and people choose to install it to run from the external drive. If so, and the drive is not connected (via USB), you might be able to start the program but it would not be complete.

It would help us if you could give us your complete specs and tell us how and where you installed BIAB.

Did you find Help in BIAB where I directed in the post above, and not just in Windows?

Do you have a file in your /BB folder called BBW2.HLP?
Posted By: The harpster Re: TAGS - 09/22/10 03:34 PM
Thanks Matt,
I found it "BBW2.HLP"?
I am running it internally.
Posted By: ScottyA Re: TAGS - 10/11/10 10:03 PM
The 'tag -> 4x' indicates how many times the body of the piece (the "chorus") will repeat before the tag is played. It's placed at the point that you 'jump from' to get to the tag.
© PG Music Forums