PG Music Home
Hi,

Q: How do I change the key signature but keep the note positions on the staff lines the same? I have some downloaded music and would like to transpose them for violin in a different key and also transpose the notes up or down independent of each other.

Right now if I change the key the notes move, its I do not what to happen.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Keri-Ann

BIAB 2011 Everything with RealTracks.
I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do, but look at Options, Preferences, Notation. You will see Transpose Options. If you make changes here, the music will continue to play - sound - in the same key, but the notation will change for a transposing instrument.
Quote:

Hi,

Q: How do I change the key signature but keep the note positions on the staff lines the same?

If its yet another exasperating case of a downloaded MIDI file that is in some key other than C yet the MIDIOT who created it did not set the keysig to C, it is easy to correct in BiaB.

First, figure out the real key that the piece is in.

Then, using the main Keysig dropdown under the Songtitle area, select that key.

BiaB will flash a window asking whether or not you want to change the notes. Since the notes are already right - but likely showing all sorts of weird accidentals because the MIDI file is still set to key of C, answer "No" to that prompt. Be sure to SAVE the song that way now so that you don't have to go through all this again.

--Mac
What Mac said. Once the correct key shown on the main screen and notation match up, then you can change the key and the notes will also change if you pick that option. Although I play trumpet (Bb), I always make it a concert key. If you are worried, save each file with a different name as you go through the process. I use this feature all the time just to get the notation in the right key for my trumpet charts. After printing I just hit "Undo" and then hit Save.

Stan
© PG Music Forums