PG Music Home
Posted By: mal12345 Build 313 Beta changes - 12/23/10 10:20 PM
One of my few complaints of Real Tracks was that in the jazz swing/bebop styles, the Acoustic bass was somewhat "busy" for my taste. Being a pianist I found them often to be overplayed. I have always preferred the driving, but simpler styles of bassists like Ray Brown and Paul Chambers etc.
I was therefore pleased when I saw that in the summary of changes for build 313, I read...

* Added: 'Simple' and 'very simple' variations made for "Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Swing Sw 140"
* Added: 'Simple' and 'very simple' variations made for "Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 085"
* Added: 'Simple' and 'very simple' variations made for "Bass, Acoustic, Jazz BeBop Sw 190"

I presume this means I can substitute the existing bass parts(of Neil Swainson) with a simpler variation.
If this is the case can someone please tell me how I can access these into my current jazz styles?

Mal
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/23/10 10:27 PM
Hello Mal,

In the RealTracks Picker, you'll see the [Simple] and [Very Simple] variations listed along with the regular ones, so you can just right-click on your bass track and select Add-Remove RealTracks etc.
Posted By: mal12345 Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/23/10 11:07 PM
Thanks Andrew
This is a feature I was hoping for :-)

regards

Mal
Posted By: MartinB Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/24/10 12:14 AM
A lot of these *bass* type RealTracks are listed with *guitar* type RealCharts in the RealTracks Picker. RealCharts often don't reflect the bass lines played.
Posted By: rharv Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/24/10 12:22 AM
sorry
totally my fault
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/24/10 12:25 AM
The "Gt" type RealCharts means that it shows accurate tab. If the Bass has that designation, it *should* show up fairly accurately on tab and the guitar fretboard window. If you found one that's marked as 'Gt' but doesn't show accurate tab, it was probably accidentally marked that way...
Posted By: MartinB Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/24/10 01:01 AM
Thanks for the clarification, Andrew.

There are, however, quite a few bass type RealTracks that just don't show correct bass notation here. Check out Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Balld Sw 085; Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Swing Sw 140; Bass, Acoustic, Jazz BeBop Sw 190 and others.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/24/10 01:28 AM
Quote:

sorry
totally my fault

I knew it.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/24/10 03:29 AM
It's rharv's fault? Wow. That's been a known fact since beta 1 build 2. Or was it 1?

LOL
Posted By: Graham Martin Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/24/10 06:52 AM
I have been complaining long and loud about those complex-rhythm base lines, for exactly the same styles as Mal mentions - i.e. for all jazz styles on acoustic bass. Mal is a bit more tactful than I have been when he says, "the Acoustic bass was somewhat "busy" for my taste". John Conley was amused by my previous comments when I said I could not find '1" but I thought I was being kind. I also said that I listen to the bass for the chords and I know that is also the case with many other jazz musicians. It is very difficult to hear where you are amongst a flurry of doubled and grace notes from the bass. When I read the notes about 2011, I was encouraged to think the problem had been tackled. Maybe it has?

After reading Andrew's comment in this thread, I again went looking for the "Simple" swing styles. All I can find that looks anything like that is:

Bass, Acoustic, Bossa EV 085 (A:Simple)
Bass, Acoustic, Pop Waltz, EV 085 (A:Simple)
Bass, Acoustic, Samba, Ev 190 (A:Simple)
Bass, Acoustic, Samba, Ev 085 (A:Simple)

There are no "Very Simple" bass styles listed as far as I can see.

I am running 313 BETA

I am looking in the "Name" column in the Style Picker. Maybe the 'Simple' 'Very Simple' note is somewhere else?

What I need in Real Track (Have needed for a long time!) are some SWING four-in-the-bar SIMPLE OR VERY SIMPLE rhythms (B: mostly, I guess, because I do not often use two-in-the-bar) at all tempos from 70 to 280. Because that is what jazz is all about for me! Pretty please.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/24/10 07:54 AM
Hi,

Quote:

All I can find that looks anything like that is:

No, those aren't the ones. Try downloading and installing the patch again - there was a fix. For example, you should see "Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Swing Sw 140 [Simple]" (provided you already have the normal "Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Swing Sw 140" installed).
Posted By: rharv Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/24/10 01:51 PM
I did the update, and the simple - very simple realtracks are all in the N/A list, as missing st2 etc.

*edit
downloading new patch, didn't see that

Works here now, thanks Andrew
Posted By: rodipoet Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/24/10 01:55 PM
Try the new 313 Beta, it is working.........;)
Posted By: John Conley Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/24/10 01:59 PM
Plus the waltzes are back, for lack of a better term.

And a few years back there was massive moaning and self flagellation over the fact it was a jazzers program.

Ha, now the Rock styles have the lead, followed by the country styles, and THEN the Jazz styles.

I'm having a fit and might need a Whaaaambulance.

Hope you can use this now to have a right hooley.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/24/10 05:22 PM
Hello Martin,

Quote:

There are, however, quite a few bass type RealTracks that just don't show correct bass notation here. Check out Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Balld Sw 085; Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Swing Sw 140; Bass, Acoustic, Jazz BeBop Sw 190 and others.

I spot checked "Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Swing 140" and it looks quite accurate to me. What is the date of your C:\bb\RBass012.ST2 file? If it's older than July 2010, you don't have the updated version. The following Bass RealTracks were updated with Band-in-a-Box 2011 to show accurate bass notation/tab. Installing the 2011 program should give you these...

Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Sw 140
Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 140
Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 085
Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Waltz Sw 140
Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 085
Bass, Acoustic, Samba Ev 190
Bass, Acoustic, Jazz BeBop Sw 190
Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Waltz Sw 085
Posted By: MartinB Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/24/10 11:12 PM
Hi Andrew,

I did install the shipped version of BB2011 over the BB2010.5 folder on my PC ... and the file \bb\RBass012.ST2 does have a time stamp of 12th March 2010.

The time stamp of this file on the shipped HD version BB2011(311) shows 8th July 2010. The installation procedure seemingly did not update the file \bb\RBass012.ST2. I thus copied the newer version manually from the shipped BB2011 HD to the BB folder on my PC ... to no avail. The notation does not look correct here for the RealTracks you've mentioned, viz.:

Interestingly the shipped version BB2011(311) has *no* RealCharts for these RealTracks. It appears that your patch 313beta seems to add those RealCharts ... seemingly incorrectly here. Do the RealCharts of these RealTracks look ok on your system? They don't on mine (Vista).
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/25/10 12:13 AM
Hmmm... Yes they look good to me.

At the moment, not sure exactly what's going on there, but will look into it further...
Posted By: JamesChandlerJr Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/25/10 12:14 AM
Martin, did beta 313 affect the GPF issues you were having on exit, using the German language setting? I put some adjustments in there that I hope will fix that bug.

We tried duplicating your issue with several English Windows PC's, running German. But no one could duplicate the issue. So it may require an actual German Windows install, rather than an English PC running German.

So the fixes I made are "theoretical" in nature, since I couldn't directly duplicate the bug. I just have my fingers crossed that it will actually do some good.
Posted By: MartinB Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/25/10 01:32 AM
Yes, James, the GPF issues are thoroughly gone by now. Thanks for fixing this nagging issue for German users -> There's nothing more practical than a good theory ...
Posted By: JamesChandlerJr Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/25/10 01:55 AM
Thanks Martin. Thats great to hear it did some good.
Posted By: Graham Martin Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/25/10 04:01 AM
Quote:

Hi,

Quote:

All I can find that looks anything like that is:

No, those aren't the ones. Try downloading and installing the patch again - there was a fix. For example, you should see "Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Swing Sw 140 [Simple]" (provided you already have the normal "Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Swing Sw 140" installed).

Aha! Downloading the patch again found the missing (Simple) styles. And very nice they are too!

In the future, I will allow BETA patches to settle a little before I download them. I think I took 313 before it was even mentioned on the forum.

Thanks Andrew!!!

It being Christmas Day in Australia already: Compliments of the season everyone.

We have a great gig lined up for Boxing day, provided it is not rained off. I have used the new 'Medley' feature to put together some seasonal tunes. The transitions to a new key are lovely!
Posted By: MartinB Re: Build 313 Beta changes - 12/25/10 12:25 PM
Quote:

Hmmm... Yes they look good to me.

At the moment, not sure exactly what's going on there, but will look into it further...

Hi Andrew,

I just double-checked on the above list of RealTracks this morning.

Yesterday *each* and every of these RealTracks showed incorrect Bass RealCharts when creating these RealTracks on the soloist track, say. These RealCharts looked very much like strumming guitar patterns when checking on them.

Today most of them show correct RealCharts. This does sound very odd at first reading, doesn’t it. And I am absolutely not sure what’s going on here either. Maybe the daily reboot of the machine changed some issues … which would be odd all by itself.

Now, currently these RealTracks show correct RealCharts here:

Whereas these RealCharts are still incorrect:

Example:
Bass, Acoustic, Samba Ev 190 via the Demo Song of _BNGS190.STY

The Bass line sounds good, yet its RealChart looks quite different from what’s being heard.
© PG Music Forums