PG Music Home
Posted By: 1126baritone Patriotic styles and notation problems - 04/02/11 08:44 PM
Hi I am new to the forum. I have BIAB 2008.5 and I am trying to write a patriotic piece of music for
the up and coming Memorial Day. I can not find any style other that Majestic
that even hints at a patriotic sound. Is there a style or something else
that could give me that kind of music? I also can not notate a very simple
bar of music. I would like to make my first bar key of G 4/4 time [ quarter
note, dotted eighth,sixteenth,quarter,dotted eighth,sixteenth ] I have been
trying for hours in BIAB notation and no success. I would also like to change
to 2/4 at bar 37 but the program will not do that either. I use Score Writer to write
and up load the midi file to BIAB but the key changes and tempos don't
transfer to BIAB. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
1126 Baritone
Welcome to the forum. I'll address a few of these and leave the style question to others.

For this notation, perhaps you are in Triplet Mode, the default mode in the Notation Edit window, and you need to exit that. Click on the Options button (under Song and Style, left of Print) and Uncheck "Triplet Resolution" in the upper left corner. Back in Notation Edit, you should now see 4 broken vertical lines per beat. For your rhythm, starting with the first vertical dotted line, left to right, your notes would be on these vertical lines: 1, 5, 8, 9, 13, 16.

I'm pretty sure version 2008.5 allowed you to press F5 at a bar and enter the number of beats. That is how you get 2/4. Remember to do F5 and change it back as needed.

It is not surprising the key changes and tempo changes do not transfer from your other software. Also in that F5 dialog, you can enter a changed tempo at any bar.

I think you might need to upgrade to be able to change the key signature within a song; that came around a year ago. In version 2011, it is another one of the options in the F5 dialog.
Hello Mr, Finley

Thanks for the help getting to 4/4 your suggestion worked out great. I have another question? How do I if its even possible write a triplet on the 4th beat of the second measure and a triplet on the second beat of the third measure?

Thanks

1126Britone
If your song has triplets, there are two ways to handle it.

One is to change back and forth using that checkbox for triplet resolution as you go.

Perhaps a better way is to set the resolution for an individual beat. To do this, go to the beat where the triplet will be, and right-click directly above that beat in the thin brown line above that beat. (Look for the brown area above the yellowish area of the staff and the tan area above that.)

When you right-click in that thin brown lined area, called the Time Indicator, the Beat Resolution dialog box pops up. Change the value of 4 to 3 in the treble clef and/or bass clef as appropriate. Then put a note on each vertical line of that beat, and you have your triplet.

See the help in the online FAQ here: http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq23.htm#25

You will read that sometimes the triplets do not appear correct, but will play correctly.
Hello

again you were right on about the triplets. My big problem is on the third bar which is a quarter,triplet,quarter,quarter. The problem is that when I try to start the third bar. by the time I get to the second beat the notes are already on the forth beat and I can't get back to the second beat of the third bar to change the beat to a triplet. I really like BIAB but th notation system really sucks. I am just trying to write 4 bars of music before the chords start and I am pulling my hair out. Do you know if there is a better notation program that is compatiable to BIAB?. Seems like no one else is weighing in on the style question. Thanks for communicating.

1126baritone
Yes, can't help on the style question.

As far as I know, there is no notation program fully compatible with BIAB, except that you can always import a MIDI melody from any other notation program. You just won't have the chords.

Interestingly, we were looking at a new program that does seem to go the other way, but it's in early stages. It's MuseScore, and the info was posted by Allis.
© PG Music Forums