PG Music Home
Posted By: Bjorn Beskow BIAB iPhone/iPad background audio - 04/11/11 11:20 AM
Just to check I haven't missed anything: Is there a way to run BIAB on iPhone/iPad in the background? If I start playback in BIAB on my iPad and then switch to another application (iBooks in this case, to view the score in a PDF document), the audio output from BIAB stops.

Other apps on iPad/iPhone (e.g. AmpliTube) has an option to enable background audio, but I can't find anything like that in BIAB.

Regards
/Bjorn
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB iPhone/iPad background audio - 04/11/11 03:09 PM
This is interesting. My app development books say that iPhone and iPad cannot support more than one app running: close an app and it's killed. That's how they can get good performance out of meager processors, although it presents a challenge to developers. Your mention of AmpliTube makes me want to double-check the books now.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: BIAB iPhone/iPad background audio - 04/11/11 11:15 PM
Hmmm..... without doing some very specific, targeted things to you i-device, you can only run one app at a time. I have both an iPhone and an iPad.

Which brings up the question, is there one app for both or one app for each? I HATE iPhone apps on my iPad. All they do it blow it up and the visuals get a little blocky when apps made for iPhone are stretched over the bigger iPad screen. I mean it's only 99 cents so I'll risk it, but.....
Posted By: Bjorn Beskow Re: BIAB iPhone/iPad background audio - 04/12/11 05:40 AM
What you say was true for iOS prior to 4. iOS 4 brought multitasking to iPhone and iPad. While only one app can be visible at the time, it may still run in the background (and output audio, for instance). You can easily see what I mean using the iPod app: start olaglig à song, them switch to another app. The song playback continues.

Regards
/Bjorn
Posted By: Bjorn Beskow Re: BIAB iPhone/iPad background audio - 04/12/11 05:43 AM
Sorry, 'start playing a song', that should be.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB iPhone/iPad background audio - 04/12/11 01:04 PM
Thanks. Verizon's iPhone does not yet support iOS 4.
© PG Music Forums