PG Music Home
Posted By: seeker Is Alesis usb mixer decent for home use ? - 06/11/11 02:57 AM
I did some Forum searching, got some hits, but never saw
the information on the Alesis.

Anyway am looking at several different Alsesis mixers.
Do want to have the USB abilities. Feel this opens
up a lot of things.

Anyway title says it. Want clean, decent multi channel
abilities. The FX part ??? not sure even use this.
Did have a 99 option Alesis FX rackmount years ago.
At the time it was very nice.

Primary use will be to record Audidgy 2 ZS realtrack outputs
along with my PSR3000 outputs driven by BIAB.

Thank you in advance,

Seeker
Hi Seeker,
I bought an Alesis Multimix 8 about 2 years ago, It's the best small mixer I've ever used.
I had a Mackie 1202 and the Alesis sounds much better and quieter.

I tried the USB and also plugged it into my line-in. I hear no difference so I just leave it plugged into the line-in.
It has 99 effects built in. You can't edit them but, they sound very good, better than my old Quadraverb. It has an external power supply.

I plug it into a SB X-Fi soundcard. I plug a mic, my guitar amp, my guitar direct and a small keyboard into it and they all sound great. The EQ is great. A little goes a long way.

I think they've changed a bit since I bought mine. My mixer is silver and I think they are black now.
I love mine. When I bought it, it was about $149.00, They make a few now.
I've always had Alesis stuff but I never thought I'd ever get a mixer other than Mackie. This is better than my Mackie 1202. Check the features and see if it meets your requirements.

Wayne,
Posted By: seeker Re: Is Alesis usb mixer decent for home use ? - 06/11/11 05:35 PM
Wayne,

Thank you for the very nice comparison. I did read a few reviews and in fact
Alesis was compared to Mackie very well.

I dont know mackie either. Will let you know on what happens.

Again thank you very much

Seeker
Hi Seeker,
Don't think in any way that I think Mackie is inferior. They make some of the best mixers ever. I only used Mackie.
When I had to start over, I didn't have the money for a Mackie so I tried the Alesis because I had used a lot of Alesis stuff over the years and thought it was a good deal and worth a try. It worked out perfect for me.
But like mics, my perfect vocal mic might be you least favorite.
Good luck and thank you for keeping me posted.
Wayne,
Posted By: Reg Re: Is Alesis usb mixer decent for home use ? - 06/12/11 04:41 PM
Allen & Heath ZED-10FX or any other from that line. Can't go wrong here, beats Alesis laying down. Demo one if you can and you will be happy you did.
Posted By: seeker Re: Is Alesis usb mixer decent for home use ? - 06/14/11 11:04 PM
Am really tickled, my Used Alesis MultiMix 12 USB mixer
will be on its way, getting here early next week.

Was bidding on several 8 channel but were going about $70-75.
After some amount of bidding with a reserve not met, was
given a "second chance" and got it for $91 + 15 ups shipping.

http://www.alesis.com/multimix12usb

Very excited about the USB options being able to use with
P.T. Pro.

Know very little "Pro Quality" mixing, but look forward
to using this unit. Now my PSR 3000, the RealTracks can
create good quality recordings.

Appreciate the inputs from you folks.

Seeker
Good luck with it Seeker.
The mic preamps have more headroom then many other small mixers. This is a real blessing to me because I always had a channel inserts on my previous mixers which I inserted a compressor/limiter.
I used the USB for awhile but had to reinstall everything after a virus and I plugged it into the Line-In and it sounded the same to me. I got lazy and never installed the USB again. I move it from one PC to another and other recorders and it always sounds great. I've been using mine for 2 years and all is well. I'm also a PowerTracks user. I use it for everything.
Nice deal too. Hope you like it. Enjoy.
Wayne.
© PG Music Forums