PG Music Home
Posted By: LBL Song picker rebuild not working with 2011.5 - 07/19/11 07:06 PM
Just installed 2011.5. But just tried to add a new song to the Song Picker. When I hit "rebuild list" it goes up to about 88 songs and stops. Then I get an access violation message. I'm guessing this a bug in the new program. Tried closing and reopening BIAB. Didn't work.
Larry
Did you install BIAB in the default folder, C:/BB ?

What is your OS? Windows 7?
There must be a bad file there.

I have 8000 files in one folder and made the mistake of sticking a new one in there and then rebuilding. It worked but I had to go for several coffees.
Yes, the songlist routine needs to load in each song, so if you have a corrupt song file, it might stop the process. Note that this is the same behaviour in BB for the last 5 years or so, no change in 2011.5.

Recommend trying a different folder, and then if you do the same folder, try adding in half the songs to id the bad song.
Posted By: LBL Re: Song picker rebuild not working with 2011.5 - 07/20/11 02:06 PM
It was a bad file. The rebuild counter would counter up to 88 and then stop there. I went into the folder and counted to that number to find the file. I opened it played it and then resaved it. It works fine now.

Thanks
Larry
Good to know. Thanks for posting your solution so others can benefit.
Hello Larry,

thank you for posting the solution for this song list building problem!
I faced the same problem before and posted it days before. You've got the solution!

I don't know what kind of corruption to one of the song files had happened. The former version of BIAB (build 318) didn't have - and still has! - no problem with that same file.
But opening it in build 325 - and re-saving it actually solves the problem.
The new 2011.5 version seems to be somehow more sensitiv to whatever the 'corruptedness' of a song file may be.

I had thought the problem file was the one which was indiacated as the last one in the building process; the one on which the process stopped and stuck 'frozen'. But the next(!) file (in alphabetical order) is the 'corrupted' file!
So - for those having the same problem - remember the name of the song file which is the last one when the error occurs, then open the next file in alphabetical order. (Most easily done by the "Open song"-Dialog). Press the "Save"-button - that's it! Now the building process will continue. (Well - when there's another 'corrupted' file, it might stop again. But now you know what you can do ... :-)

Thanks again, Larry!

Greetings from Germany

Ulrich
I also have been having problems with the song list in BIAB 2011.5. Never had a problem before.

I tried going to the problem song, playing it and saving, but it made no difference.

The song list builder still hangs up on that one file and then after I quit the song builder I get access violation notice.

John
Please email the corrupt song file to beta@pgmusic.com, and I will try to duplicate that issue.
In the meantime, please remove that song from your folder, and rebuild the song list.
Peter:

Thank you. I have sent the file. I'd be interested to know what in that file causes problems.

John
Hi,
I don't know if I'll be allowed to benefit from your experience with the Song Picker.
I'm having a problem with Song Picker since the 1809 Windows 10 update.
Rebuilding data base after deleting the .BIN file is fine. I tried with 8,000 songs and 400 songs.

But once done, when I click on the Song Picker button, BB freezes.
The BB window grays and becomes inaccessible as long as I don't delete the BB process in Windows Task Manager.
I reinstalled BB 2018 (with patch) twice, once as administrator.
The Song Picker is broken.

I can still load files directly and BB works.
Intel i7 windows 10 1809.

Francoise
On windows, I am experienced, to quote Jimi Hendrix.
Francoise,

What version of BIAB do you have?

Also, has Songpicker worked for you in the past or has it always not worked?

Regards,
Noel
Hi Noel, thank you for answering quickly.

It's version 2018 (520).

Song Picker worked without problem in the 2016 and 2018 versions.
I use it regularly to generate comping tracks for sax and guitar.
I noticed this strange behavior after Win 10 1809 (November) update.

I should say Song Picker rebuilds without problem. I can load files individually without problem.
I can get around the issue avoiding Song Picker.
But it's strange that I should be the only one with this problem.

I tried rebuilding on the BB demos folder (presumably sane). It rebuilt instantly and immediately froze.
I should add I discovered I can simply assigned the Song Picker button to open the "personnal dialog" option and there a search option.
So I can easily work around the faulty Song Picker.
francoise,

I don't have an answer for your problem (I have Windows 7) but I encourage you to create a new thread with a heading something like "Help please... Windows 10 update stopped Songpicker working".

The fact that this thread refers to BIAB 2011.5 means that many people will not look at it.

I suggest simply copying your last two posts to start the thread.

If you do this, I'm pretty sure that someone who has Windows 10 will help.

All the best,
Noel
Thank you, Noel, for your advice.

I'm not familiar with the PG forum practice.
hi Francoise

I have Windows 10 1809 update
and BIAB 2018 ultra and the song picker rebuilds fine from any folder that contains songs.
i know not that doesn't help you but thought you should know

Mike
© PG Music Forums