PG Music Home
Has anyone successfully used the LoopBe1 virtual midi cable program to send an extra midi signal to a synthesizer or harmonizer while using realtreacks and coyote in biab? I need help with settings. Midi/Audio driver setup recognizes that it is there and I have it set as midi in/ midi out. I have dxi checked (also tried without). I have biab setting for "vocalist" (ch5) and have set my vocalist pro to ch5 and "all" but no midi signal to the harmonizer so far. Any suggestions?

Mike
The LoopBe1 driver should not be selected for both In and Out. This will cause MIDI feedback. I believe it has a fail-safe that mutes the driver if it detects MIDI feedback, so that could be what is going on.

If you are using the driver for output, then you need another program to use it as input. For example, PowerTracks or RealBand could receive MIDI signals and play out through a DXi synth.

If the Vocalist is hardware, then the LoopBe1 driver would not be necessary. In that case their should be some kind of output driver available in the Band-in-a-Box MIDI output driver list.
Thanks Blake, but that is my problem. BIAB does not support multiple midi and therefore when playing realtracks you can't use another piece of midi hardware like the vocalist. That's why if I want midi instruments playing along side my realtracks I have to use the dxi setting (coyote) and it will not send a separate midi signal out using this configuration.
I don't have LoopBe1 but I've used MIDI YOKE. It's a virtual cable as well.You can have up to 16 virtual cables. You need only one.So here's what you do assuming your soundcard is OK with it. It should be.
1. Use midi yoke 1 as your output driver in BIAB
2. In your host program use midiyoke as your input driver for as many tracks as you need.And assign the approprite channels for those tracks that coincide with the BIAB instrument channels
3. assign each of those tracks to a particular DXi/VSTi
4. Route the audio from those DXi/VSTi to your sound card.
5. In BIAB route the audio to your sound card.RTs & RDs
6. In BIAB go to :OPT./PREFS/output channel
7. In this screen check off "output chords" as set up it'll output basic chords on channel 5.
8. In the host again set a track to receive midiyoke 1 on channel 5
9. set this track to output to your hardware midi interface that is plugged into the midi in of your Vocalist
10. Make sure the Vocalist is set to receive the chord info on channel 5.

This is how I did it in the olden days. Hope this helps.
I'd get the midi out working first.

I clean out the soloist part.

I change the solo part to Midi ch 5

I set the output chords to Midi ch 5

You should just be able to plug a usb to midi cable into the computer, plug it into the harmonizer and it should work.

On my harmonizer there are presets numbered 1.1 to 9.9

If I embed using f5 at bar 1 a 32 it will set the harmonizer to 3.2 so you can change from one harmony to another on the fly.

I would the the above working, and set Midi out (No in yet) in Opts Prefs Midi Driver

I'd use all Realtracks and watch to see my box work on harmonies.

Once you get that working you can decide if you want to try going back in and using the Dxi, I have not tried that as I use a Ketron or My Jv1010.

I think one step at a time is best, like I said no midi plugged back in.

Once you get that to work I'd simply try clicking on the Dxi and see if the soloist track is still firing midi out on ch 5.
Thanks guys, but still no joy. I'll try again tomorrow. BIAB does list my vocalist pro (usb) under midi outs, so if I choose that and not select dxi it will get me through tonight's gig with my midi harmony. I'll just have to stick with songs that only use real tracks (or take the time to change the midi options for the songs with both realtracks and midi).
I really appreciate you taking the time to help!
Mike
I'm responding to this old thread-wanting to use BIAB with midi tracks and an external harmonizer.

1. It seems 32 bit midi yoke won't support my 64 bit Iconnectivity MIO...which is a USB to midi converter and supplies the signal to the harmony machine. So I must look elsewhere

2. The choices are loopbe1 ..... or midiloop software by Tobias Erichsen

Anyone have experience with either for supplying multiple midi outs?
Thanks-
LoopBE works fine on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows; however, I would suggesting buying LoopBE30, which gives you up to 30 virtual MIDI in/out ports for $19.90.

I have used it with, for example, Noteworthy Composer (which doesn't support DXi or VSTi synths) by sending MIDI data out to LoopBe and then configuring a standalone synth to receive data from LoopBE.
John-
One external midi channel is sufficient for me. But I have a question:
Since the BIAB "Route all DXI/VST" checkbox now doesn't make sense, will LoopBe offer synth options? In other words what will be the NEW order of midi routing, and how will that interface with BIAB?

Looking at the posts above, i believe "Silvertones" addressing of MidiYoke...will likely apply to LoopBE. You choose it as your output device, check "Route DXI/VST" to a Coyote, etc...... specify a midi channel in Output Chords...and let LoopBE assign that channel to my MIO - USB to Midi hardware converter.

I'll wait till you weigh in on this before the install, John. Thanks as usual for your giving and comprehensive attention.
Dan
I believe that is correct, but it's free and easily installed/uninstalled. Just give it a try and you should have your answer in about five minutes. And it doesn't hurt to have it installed. It just adds another MIDI port to your system.
Well...... LoopBe1 is installed but nothing is happening. I click on the tray icon or in Programs, and no midi or monitor window comes up..... just the mute screen. I would happily purchase the 8 port version if it does work. I'm now awaiting a response from the creator.....though a bit skeptical at the moment. And others online have recently expressed difficulty. We'll see
O.k. here's the story......LoopBe1 does NOT offer one additional port...it's ONLY one port, so useless for a second midi out in BIAB. I would install LoopBe30- there's a trial. But some user notes first, would be helpful- I don't want to open a midi can of worms. There's another thread about this on the forum. I'll look there.
That's why it's called LoopBe1, because it's only one port. LoopBE30 is up to 30 ports, but you decide how many you want installed (default is two).

I've had it on my computers for about a decade now and it has never caused problems and has always worked. The only thing to be careful of is to not inadvertently set up a MIDI feedback loop.

And you can just try the trial version. The trial version of LoopBe30 works for 60 minutes after its first use. After every reboot, it will work again for an additional 60 minutes. As I said in the previous post, it is also easily uninstalled if you don't want to use it.
First here is some reading that may help with what you are trying to do

http://bandinabox.wikia.com/wiki/Accessing_Multiple_Midi_Ports

Second, I seem to have lost the bubble on this how many outputs that you want BIAB to eventuality feed, sounds like at LEAST two? If yes then you are correct Loopbe 1 BY ITSELF won't help, (see above) – and John already said that (but stand by).

Also if yes, besides a multi-port driver you will ALSO need something like MIDI OX (you knew that right?) if trying to go DIRECT form BIAB OUT to your i Connectivity port. You COULD take BIAB OUTPUT via MIDI Yoke, Loopbe 1, or Loopbe 30 into ANOTHER DAW or standalone VSTi (that has with ability to send MIDI out) and THEN using that DAW/VSTI (as a patch bay) route its MIDI thru or OUT to your iConnectivity port.

Yes I saw you already said MIDI Yoke didn't work (more later). I have and do USE BOTH MIDI Yoke and LoopBe 30, I have and do use MIDI Yoke with a 64-bit Yamaha USB MIDI for my Montage 7 and my Fishman Triple Play (installed using its 64 bit drivers)

Like you and John said Loopbe30 has a trial, TRY IT - it won't hurt anything.

Now about MIDI Yoke:

I’m not doubting you have issues but MIDI Yoke SHOULD work fine with your iConnectivity so not sure why you are having issues??

Even if you know this I’ll mention for others who may not know . You need to route BIAB MIDI OUT to a MIDI Yoke port (#1, # 2, #3, … or #8) THEN use MIDI OX (or similar or another DAW) to connect that single MIDI Yoke port to the multiple MIDI IN’s your trying to drive. And if not using MIDI Ox you are using a a similar "software patch bay" or a DAW that can route MIDI ins to one or more MIDI outs

And if having trouble installing MIDI Yoke in Win 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kORFzILrdmA

BTW the single Loopbe1 port would work just as well in conjunction with MIDI OX as a single port of MIDI Yoke

===================
Next just me rambling

A MIDI port is a MIDI port as far as the OS (or MIDI) is concerned. Again, I use MIDI YOKE/OX with the 64-bit "drivers" for Yamaha USB support for use to/from a Montage 7 while also using my Fishman Triple Play (and its 64-bit driver) to other VSTi's and DAWS for recording/playing and routing.

The iConnectivty uses a "run of the mill" USB 2 interface (it is backward compatible to 1.1 and the whole thing peice of HW is backward compatible to Win XP SP3 - which is ONLY 32 bit)

the iConnectivty MIDI input (if designed to MIDI spec) is listening for a handshake and data from ANY MIDI input source it cannot tell if the handshake and data at its "input" was generated using 32 software, 64 bit software, or another piece of dedicated MIDI hardware, which is independent of ANY OS

The MIDI Protocol is only 8-bit; furthermore, MIDI data itself is only 7 bits since one bit is a STATUS bit (7 bits can represent 128 things)

good luck
Larry

Originally Posted By: Mike Lucich
Thanks guys, but still no joy. I'll try again tomorrow. BIAB does list my vocalist pro (usb) under midi outs, so if I choose that and not select dxi it will get me through tonight's gig with my midi harmony. I'll just have to stick with songs that only use real tracks (or take the time to change the midi options for the songs with both realtracks and midi).
I really appreciate you taking the time to help!
Mike

https://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=midiOut
https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
LoopMidi is better than LoopBe (LoopBe tends to mute itself), it's free and can set many ports.

Is it the midi chords you want to send to vocal pro ?
If so then in Options > Prefs > Output chords enable

Chord Types
Channel
Ticks before 0 or early ?
Write track to midi file.
Save Midi > file on disk
File > Import > Melody or Soloist from Midi file

Import saved midi and same channel only

Load midiOut into that track and set it to the usb hardware device or LoopBe or MidiLoop.
Larry-
You didn't ramble a bit, and gave me a most generous answer. Thanks so much. With a Windows 7 machine and a Yamaha 144 sound module, I never had an audio or midi issue. Also, Midi Ox/Yoke was my religion during a long, XP tenure. But things changed this weekend.
I suddenly got the whim to pull out my old Helicon Voice Live, and while many Ox/Yoke 64 bit postings seemed discouraging, I took the Ox plunge. But after installation....more posts made me second guess this, and I uninstalled Ox.
The moment of grief arrived after that uninstall, Larry....when BIAB suddenly would play nothing without a yellow error message that there is no Audio driver present in Windows. The message would disappear, and the program would then play. But how an OX uninstall could corrupt my Yamaha 144 audio driver was a mystery. Other audio apps gave the same message. So I tried to reinstall my Yamaha audio driver..... and that FAILED ...saying 'Please telephone the company' A system restore to the pre-OX state brought things back in line. But as the Chinese say, "Once bitten by a snake, for 10 years you're even afraid of a rope"
My second venture of this past weekend involved LoopBe, but emails to creator Daniel Schmidtt, failed to garner help. So in light of your vast knowledge on these specific subjects, I guess you're my guide on 64 bit BIAB midi.
If there is an Ox version other than the latest standard 896 KB version whose uninstall somehow corrupted my Yamaha audio driver, please point the way. And if Yoke and OX still work as efficiently ina 64 bit system as you claim, there's no need for LoopBe at all. Any insights would be helpful. Thanks again.
Don't know what to tell you. So try Pipeline's Loopmidi

I'll now ALSO try LoopMIDI just for grins(thanks Pipeline!) .

but as an FYI I am NOT running Win 10 version 1709 (aka fall creators edition) - so maybe....???

I'm still on last springs version (1703) and will SKIP 1709 completely (and may even skip next one version 1803 coming VERY soon to a PC near you) - depending on what the Win 10 Home users (AKA guinea pig's or uncompensated beta testers) report as issues.

Larry
Pipeline's method of just using Real Tracks is what I've been doing until a more viable solution materializes. Yes, ....I currently output chords to the IConnectivity MIO...my selected midi output driver that gives chord info to the Helicon Voice Live But this forces me to solely use Real Tracks. PG support says the idea of multiple MIDI drivers has been bandied about by the developers for years, but since the vast majority of users prefer Real Tracks exclusively, midi is a dinosaur.

Personally, I couldn't disagree more. From stride piano to cha cha backgrounds, I find that to this day,a mix of midi and Real....often provide the most satisfying tracks.

Perhaps someone will offer a safe, easy, and definitive workaround for achieving multiple MIDI outputs in BIAB.

And Pipeline, ....does LoopMidi actually work here without a need for midi ox to distribute the midi? If so, and if it integrates easily, please share a bit more about this. Hard to tell from your post if it actually achieves multiple MIDI without complication in BIAB. Thanks.
And just in csse the developers are listening, the fix for this issue seems simple..... Put 1 more entry into OUTPUT CHORDS.....a dropdown that reads
MIDI DRIVER FOR OUTPUT CHORDS

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ls9559ykxvcp8wx/Biab-midiOut.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ls9559ykxvcp8wx/Biab-midiOut.mp4?dl=1
Hard to discern what's happening in that vid, Pipeline
The goal is to have playing midi tracks with outputted chords.
But the only Midi track showing in your mixer is vibes, and there's no volume coming from it, so it appears that no midi track is playing. I hate to get so specific, but the corruption of my Tascam 144 (not Yamaha, my error) audio driver on the uninstall of Midi Ox, I would like a working roadmap to this.

So if Loopmidi alone...can allow BIAB to output Midi tracks WITH outputted chords, I need a detailed key to that kingdom spelled out. Here's the LoopMidi instructional. If someone is game to figure out the BIAB interface to this, here ya go....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGRtBNTNXP0
Thanks.
Originally Posted By: axelrod
...The goal is to have playing midi tracks with outputted chords...If Loopmidi alone...can allow BIAB to output Midi tracks WITH outputted chords as well, I'm all ears. But I'll need the keys to that kingdom spelled out.

1. Options > Prefs > Output chords enable
Chord Types
Channel (x)

2. Save Midi > file on disk
3. File > Import > Melody or Soloist from Midi file
Import saved midi and same channel only (x)

4. Load midiOut.dll into that track and set it to LoopMidi or external midi device.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oib452gwd4nnae6/Biab-midiOut2.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oib452gwd4nnae6/Biab-midiOut2.mp4?dl=1
Please indulge me, Pipeline. If what your saying can be done, this is a great help to me.
First of all...How does one load midiout.dll into one specific track.... and not have that overwritten as soon as you check the "Load VST/DXI" checkbox in Midi driver output ....to hear all your midi tracks?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfnu3ve1utk3bei/midiOut.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfnu3ve1utk3bei/midiOut.mp4?dl=1
Nice work, P. I'll have to sit with this for a day or so.But just to be clear, each song requires defining a chord track, and following all the steps......it's not automatic like the old midi ox/yoke method. True?
..it's not automatic like the old midi ox/yoke method. True?

Not sure what that method is ?

What are you using for midi sound in Biab, is it just the Coyote ?

You can just send midi out from Biab to VSTHost and load your vst's into it as it will let you send midi out from it to whatever.
I tried it with VSTSythFont.dll and the midiOut.dll (thought there is midi out in VSTHost you can filter and tweak) I set Biab to output on LoopMidi and VSTHost to Input LoopMidi. http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm this way you don't have to mess around saving chord tracks, you just start VSTHost and it's ready to go, and Biab Midi Out is just set to LoopMidi, no VSTi/DXi Synth, that is all in VSTHost .
The trouble with Biab and RealBand they won't let you chain midi vst's only audio, so if you load a midi vst it will only let you chain an audio after it, to solve the issue you need to use MiniHost http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=394808#Post394808
My whole life here is finding workarounds for things that you just do so simply in other audio software.

Attached File
Biab-VSTHost-02.png  (151 downloads)
Attached picture Biab-VSTHost-01.png
Yes Pipeline, that too much work to go thru. I left a wishlist item that might get the ear of the developers. I don't want to jump thru hoops. If LoopMidi can take a BIAB MIDI output, route 15 channels to Coyote and 1 channel to A USB/Midi hardware converter Bingo. If not, I'll use Real Tracks

This is the crux of the issue-
1.Can this be done
2.What are the simple steps that will elegantly accomplish this.

John....Larry...Pipeline...anybody....

And i just sent this to LoopMidi creator:
I use PG Music Band in a Box with only ONE midi output device. To send piano chords to an external voice harmonizer, I need to send one midi channel to my USB to Midi hardware converter (Iconnectivity Mio) Can LoopMidi take the Band in a box Midi Output Signal, send 15 channels to a DXI, and one channel to that USB/midi device?
How?
Thank you

Hi,

Not sure if this might help your needs but the TransMIDIfier is a great way of splitting out one midi input to various midi outputs and ports.

http://www.bewaryprods.com/software/products/TransMIDIfier/

It's worth spending an hour and checking out the options.

Regards
Brian
Thanks Brian.
Transmidifier doesn't show up in midi outs. You must first use Loopmidi or any virtual midi loopback cable, then it can do it's work. But for my simple need of opening up one more midi port for one channel, it is indeed overkill
Thanks again-
JUST an update on my earlier post in this thread -I noticed that you can no longer download the MIDI ReDirector from the WIKI page. The link for the download is down

http://bandinabox.wikia.com/wiki/VSTi_MidiRedirector_v_1.xx

anyone who wants it PM me (its 177KB's zipped)

Larry
Maybe just put it in a dropbox link.
I think that is just the same as midiOut.dll

Mike Lucich posted that in 2011 and even with 5000 + hits it has still not been implemented, so I think wishing ain't gonna help.

The VSTHost is the easiest option as you can set it to start with Windows and sit there minimized, then you don't need to do anything. Coyote is not that good a synth, there are better soudfonts that will load into VSTSythFont or if you have the Coyote Forte you can convert it to a GM sf2 and load it into SynthFont.

Also another easy way, if you want you can use http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm
copy savihost.exe to your plugin folder and rename it to the same name as the vst eg: VSTSynthFont64.dll so rename savihost.exe > VSTSynthFont64.exe and set the midi in - out (see pic below), now create a shortcut for VSTSynthFont64.exe and place it in the Windows Start menu > Startup

The next way is just use an action script like AutoHotKeys,
one hot key will save the song as a midi file, Import the same midi's chord track channel, then all you need to do is load a preset on the chord track that loads midiOut.dll, once you save the song it will keep the chord track and midiOut.

Or, wait another 7 years and maybe you will see a midi out in the Output Chords dialog ????

Attached picture Biab-SAVIHost.png
Good point, Pipeline. With only 1 midi port, BIAB gives this no priority......in fact the Output Chords help file still predates Real Tracks.,,..and assumes your midi driver is going to the harmonizer and all your midi tracks come from an external synth!

The last time I invested so much energy into Loopback was Hubi's Looback midi driver in 1999... for an app that turned a computer keyboard into a chromatic piano keyboard.

I was hoping for an elegant single install to aid in the task of opening another BIAB port.,..but it will take 2 apps to do this, tweaking, and I'm old and tired....and done. I'll use Real Tracks behind my 4 Freshmen harmonies.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and generous help. You are truly a terrific and helpful bunch.
This is MiniHost Standalone,VSTi or VST.
You can route/split midi (green) or audio (yellow) anywhere you like, in BB RB you are only allowed to add an FX after the VSTi, so it can only send audio and not midi.

Attached picture MiniHost-Midi-Route.png
"Just when i thought I was out, Pipeline pulls me back in"

What can this do for me, my friend?
It's what BB RB need so you can split/send any midi anywhere and not just to 1 only device/synth. You can try MiniHost in BB or RB load it into a audio or midi track.
1. Will it allow me to output chords to a "USB to Midi" hardware device while maintaining my BIAB midi out for the midi tracks?
2. If yes, can I do this on the fly, without having to load the midi chords of every song into an empty track in the mixer?

I assume the answer to at least one of the above questions is no. And as I said, it's only worth it to me if it can be done simply. Thanks again, Pipeline for your tenacity.
1. Will it allow me to output chords to a "USB to Midi" hardware device while maintaining my BIAB midi out for the midi tracks?

why not try it and report back

Larry
Larry-
In answer to your question, TWO reasons why I just don't try stuff willy nilly.
1. A MIDI-OX uninstall already corrupted my Tascam audio drivers necessitating a system restore.
2. I'm only interested in a clear and safe, working solution, if someone has found one. If not, I'll live with Real Tracks while using a harmonizer.

Try the savihost solution that won't stuff anything up.

1. Download savihost
http://www.hermannseib.com/programs/savihostx64.zip
http://www.hermannseib.com/programs/savihostx86.zip

2. Download VSTSynthFont
http://www.synthfont.com/VSTSynthFont64Setup.exe
http://www.synthfont.com/VSTSynthFontSetup.exe

3. Download a GM sountfont sf2 http://www.synthfont.com/soundfonts.html
also search google
Timbres Of Heaven GM_GS_XG_SFX V 2.0.sf2
Compifont_13082016.sf2
Musyng.sf2

4. Place savihost.exe in your plugins folder

5. Rename savihost.exe VSTSynthFont64.exe or VSTSynthFont.exe

6. Run VSTSynthFont64.exe and load the sf2 soundfont into SynthFont and turn the chord channel down or mute it.

7. Click up on Devices > MIDI > Set Input to same as Biab Output LoopMidi

8. Set Pass Thru to Output to your chord device.

9. Biab > Options > Prefs Chord Output >
Output chords enable
Chord Types
Channel

While still in Prefs > Channels check your chord output channel is not used.
Midi Driver > set Biab Midi Output to LoopMidi (don't use a VSTi or DXi Synth).

You can create a shortcut for VSTSynthFont64.exe and place it in the start menu > Startup, or place it on your desktop, or create a bat file to start Biab and VSTSynthFont64.exe at the same time http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437598#Post437598
© PG Music Forums