PG Music Home
Posted By: Aubrey Can I install This BIAB In This Way? - 07/27/11 09:19 PM
Hi,
I own the audiophile version of BIAB and I currently run it from the external USB drive on which it came.

The operational speed is pretty good but I would like to make it faster for when I am trying out new styles and constructing songs.

Could I:

Install just the WMA version on to a faster internal drive (probably an SSD).

Run from this internal WMA version while I am experimenting with styles and composing in order to take advantage of the faster disk speed. (This probably accounts for 95% of my time using BIAB)

Switch back to the slower external USB Audiophile edition when I am ready to burn the individual tracks to WAV files to get the advantage of the full 16 bit WAV realtrack files?

Obviously I would have to have both versions looking in the same place for the song files.

Would this physically work or would having both the internal WMA and the external USB bersion installed on the same PC cause issues?

If it would work would I be in breach of my software license with PG Music or would they be comfortable with this?

As a secondary question I am not sure where BIAB writes its working audio files (i.e. the ones that you hear when you press 'play') to. I guess this would also benefit from writing to the faster internal drive. Can you configure where these are written?

I guess that the above approach would also be attractive to notebook owners where the internal notebook hard drives are not usually big enough to install the full audiophile version. Installing just the WMAs internally would give you a fully portable system and you could tether back to the external USB full Audiophile version to finish the songs before exporting to an external DAW.

All thoughts welcome!

Many thanks

Aubrey
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Can I install This BIAB In This Way? - 07/27/11 09:31 PM
Hi Aubrey

Yes, the plan above sounds fine and would work well

If you take a copy of the audiophile version, and erase all of the wave files, you have the standard version.
Posted By: Aubrey Re: Can I install This BIAB In This Way? - 07/27/11 09:42 PM
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the swift (and positive) response!

I will give this a go!

Regards, Aubrey
Posted By: pwarren Re: Can I install This BIAB In This Way? - 07/27/11 09:52 PM
Quote:

As a secondary question I am not sure where BIAB writes its working audio files (i.e. the ones that you hear when you press 'play') to. I guess this would also benefit from writing to the faster internal drive. Can you configure where these are written?

Peter answered the first question. As regards the second I would suggest you install BiaB and RB to your internal drive. There's an option for that in the setup. The programs don't take up too much room on your internal HD and then if BiaB does write any temporary files they'd be written to your internal HD (assuming, of course, that they are written in the BB tree).

In addition it would then be easier to maintain your song files, access demos etc. You only need to go to Prefs|RealTracks to change the path to your wma or wav files depending on which you need.
Posted By: Aubrey Re: Can I install This BIAB In This Way? - 07/30/11 09:53 PM
Hi Paul,
sorry - been off line for a few days!

That sounds like a good alternative (only having one instance of BIAB installed and just pointing to two different places for the realtracks).

Thanks very much!

Regards, Aubrey
© PG Music Forums