PG Music Home
Posted By: Ovid Install 2011 over 2009.5 - 10/01/11 03:53 PM
I have BIAB 2009.5 and I just recieved BIAB 2011 as a gift (the stand alone version). Can I just install this over 2009.5 or do I need the upgrade software? If I install it over will I lose anything (styles I've made etc)? Please advise.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Install 2011 over 2009.5 - 10/01/11 04:04 PM
In my opinion, yes, you can and should install right on top of the older version. The new one will overwrite all needed system-type files but it will not alter any user-created styles (assuming you used a name scheme that the program would not use).

For nearly two decades, I have always installed new versions over old. One benefit to doing this is that you keep any extras you may have accumulated, such as the bonus paks PG Music offers on occasion that may not be in the current version, even if you buy the ultra pak. Also, if you have any third-party styles from Norton Music, they will be there with no extra effort to reinstall.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Install 2011 over 2009.5 - 10/01/11 04:05 PM
ps did you get 2011 or 2011.5? I really like the new mixer function that was introduced in 2011.5. Same answer, regardless.
Posted By: Mac Re: Install 2011 over 2009.5 - 10/02/11 11:20 AM
Yes, you can -- and IMO should -- install new versions of Band in a Box right overtop of old versions.

Been doing that for ten years or more and have never lost a single song, style, or anything.

--Mac
Posted By: David Walker Re: Install 2011 over 2009.5 - 10/03/11 05:36 PM
I have a similar question. I have the 2011 ultra-pack and 2010 everything pack. Both are on separate hard drives that came with each package and both are upgrades. Can I install 2011 over the 2010 Hand Drive Version? The 2010 version contains some Norton styles and two fake books that I would like on my 2011. I plan on getting the upgrade for 2012 and would like to copy this version also. Since both are USP drives, I have been using them as stand-alones, one on my desktop and the other for my laptop. This would alow me to have a back-up of the latest and greatest in my collection.
Posted By: Ian Fraser Re: Install 2011 over 2009.5 - 10/03/11 08:04 PM
Before upgrading . . if you are an RT user, remember the latest RTs will only work with 2011.5 (both BIAB and RB), so you might want to not stop at 2011.

Ian
Posted By: Mac Re: Install 2011 over 2009.5 - 10/04/11 12:56 PM
Quote:

I have a similar question. I have the 2011 ultra-pack and 2010 everything pack. Both are on separate hard drives that came with each package and both are upgrades. Can I install 2011 over the 2010 Hand Drive Version? The 2010 version contains some Norton styles and two fake books that I would like on my 2011. I plan on getting the upgrade for 2012 and would like to copy this version also. Since both are USP drives, I have been using them as stand-alones, one on my desktop and the other for my laptop. This would alow me to have a back-up of the latest and greatest in my collection.

What I did was this:

First, make a new copy of your old bb in entirety for backup. OK to use any hard drive that has room, a USB or internal for this, but be sure to create a folder for everything that has a new and unique name, such as "bbcopy1" or the likes.

Locate the file named, "intrface.bbw" in your existing and operating BB2011 folder and copy it to desktop. This is so that you can open the new copy of BB with all your User settings and prefs just the way they used to be.

Instead of performing an installation, I simply open the two drives in Explorer and choose Select All and then do a Copy & Paste from one drive to the other. The USB hard drives ship with both installer and also the copy of BB all ready to run from the USB drive if that is what you want to do. Doing the Copy of everything on the drive preserves that situation.

Once the entire drive has been copied over with the new stuff, drag that "intrface.bbw" file from your desktop into the bb folder, say Yes to overwrite the existing generic file and then start up BB to verify that it runs okay. I usually just start up BB and see if it will play back at least start two songs, one a pgmusic demo and then I pick some user file of mine (from that backup you created earlier) and see if it will run that also.

If it runs them okay, then I shut down BB program and open the folder with my old bb stuff and also a window with the new bb install files (X: bb) and again choose Select All from my old folder and drag everything there to be copied into the New folder, But this time I say NO to the prompts that a file of that name already exists, so that any newer files will not be overwritten but any of my user files, etc. will be copied into the new bb folder).

I usually just keep that backup folder that I copied everything into in reserve, just in case, backups, backups, backups.

--Mac
Posted By: David Walker Re: Install 2011 over 2009.5 - 10/05/11 06:00 PM
Thanks Mac, I'll give it a try when I get home.
© PG Music Forums