PG Music Home
Posted By: Bob_B A couple of simple questions - 05/26/12 01:52 PM
Hi all,

Q1: I made some modifications to an existing BIAB file of "Girl from Ipanema", which had as its melody instrument the jazz guitar voice. I changed this to a tenor sax, but each time I replay the song, the guitar reappears. This has happened before with other BIAB files, and I've just left it be, but I'd like to know how to make my change permanent.

Q2: As a default, BIAB substitutes what it considers the correct chord names based on the key of the chart. For example, I might type in G#m7 and BIAB substitutes Abm7. This makes sense, but there are times when I'd prefer to keep the chord name as I wrote it. Same thing with notes: BIAB makes changes based on the bar's chord. I've looked under the Opt menu for how to change this, but failed to find the switch to tell BIAB to retain the chord or note as I typed it. Where is the control option over this function?

Thanks for the help,

Bob aka jazzwombat (who wishes that this forum screen supported tab keys....sheesh)
Posted By: DrDan Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/26/12 02:08 PM
Quote:

Hi all,

Q1: I made some modifications to an existing BIAB file of "Girl from Ipanema", which had as its melody instrument the jazz guitar voice. I changed this to a tenor sax, but each time I replay the song, the guitar reappears. This has happened before with other BIAB files, and I've just left it be, but I'd like to know how to make my change permanent.

You apparently have a Patch Change in your Event List for the melody track. this is an embedded cc in the midi file which will change the instrument at that point in time.

Go into the event editor (Notation-Event List Editor] and remove the embedded cc which swithes the instrument.
Posted By: yjoh Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/26/12 02:34 PM
Hi Bob,

When I have used the Virtual Sound Canvas DXi this is how I have been able to make changes permanent.

I open the DXi and click "set up" down the bottom at the right. Then I click "receive events" and uncheck the PC/Bank boxes.
I can then choose what instruments I want to use and they don't get over written.

Hope that helps with question 1.

Others might be able to help with the chords.

I thought there was an enharmonic function somewhere but it alludes me. I thought it was under "preferences",where you click the notation tab and then the "use chord scale for enharmonics" tab. It didn't change the chord name though, so I'm not much help with question 2.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/26/12 03:27 PM
Bob, do you have the correct key sig set in the key window? If not do it.

Bob
Posted By: Bob_B Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/26/12 09:19 PM
Quote:

You apparently have a Patch Change in your Event List for the melody track. this is an embedded cc in the midi file which will change the instrument at that point in time.

Go into the event editor (Notation-Event List Editor] and remove the embedded cc which swithes the instrument.

Thanks. I'll take a look and see what I can do. I've not used the Event List Editor, so this will be a good education for me no matter. - Bob
Posted By: Bob_B Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/26/12 09:20 PM
Quote:

Bob, do you have the correct key sig set in the key window? If not do it.

Bob

Yes, the key is correct. - Bob
Posted By: Bob_B Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/26/12 09:56 PM
Quote:

Well, I looked, but don't see any suggestion of an embedded command that switches the instrument (to a guitar, in this particular case). All the events appear to be "note" events, nothing else. I saved the file using the "save song with patches", choose "tenor sax" for the melody instrument and clicked the "frozen" button. This seems to have worked. - Bob
Posted By: DrDan Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/26/12 10:56 PM
Send us the file. If it is switching, it is there.

Posted By: Mac Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/27/12 01:49 PM
Don't overlook the fact that there are quite a few Style files that load particular specified instruments/Patches automatically with the Style.

This can be overcome by Editing a Style, removing said Instrument and
saving the file under a New Name so as not to overwrite and thus lose the original.

--Mac
Posted By: Bob_B Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/27/12 01:53 PM
Okay, but what is the best way to send a file? The forum appears to lack attachment options. Unlike your example, my BIAB file does not show any bank select or patch changes, just the pink note changes and yellow 'rest' commands.
Posted By: Bob_B Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/27/12 01:59 PM
Quote:

Don't overlook the fact that there are quite a few Style files that load particular specified instruments/Patches automatically with the Style.

This can be overcome by Editing a Style, removing said Instrument and
saving the file under a New Name so as not to overwrite and thus lose the original.

--Mac

Sheesh, Mac, that might be it. I had forgotten completely about that possibility, and I'll check to see if that is the cause later tonight. I'll post what I find. Thanks. - Bob
Posted By: rharv Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/27/12 02:44 PM
Do you have the 'show all events' button enabled like in picture above?
Posted By: DrDan Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/27/12 03:02 PM
Quote:

Okay, but what is the best way to send a file? The forum appears to lack attachment options. Unlike your example

You first have to upload to a web site and then provide the link. I suppose there are free services for this. don't know cause I maintain my own site for this purpose. If you care to you can email to me I can post it here for you. .... You get the idea.
Posted By: Bob_B Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/27/12 09:25 PM
So....

Last night spent 2-3 hours changing things in BIAB in an attempt to correct loading a melody instrument over the one I chose. I solved the problem in that my chosen melody instrument is now retained by going into the "global song override" menu that you get to from the "Song settings" menu (Ctrl-N) and unclicking "Allow loading of any these settings" (sic). If that is checked, the guitar is loaded irrespective of what I select for a melody instrument.

I have sent jazzmandan the file for uploading.
Posted By: DrDan Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/28/12 12:48 AM
Quote:

So.... I have sent jazzmandan the file for uploading.

Here you go:
The Girl From Ipanema

Ok, have to admit I am stumped here. We want to change melody patch to anything other than jazz guitar, but when you hit play it just returns to jazz guitar. I'll have to sleep on it and hope when I awake someone has a simple answer.

Posted By: yjoh Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/28/12 10:49 AM
I've just loaded the file into BIAB.

Bob, what DXi are you using for play back? I opened the DXi window and chose the Coyote WT as the synth track, then loaded other sounds in Channel 4 (which is BIAB's melody channel).
The sounds stayed when I hit play.

The jazz guitar patch name stayed the same in the main BIAB window at the top left, but the actual patch playing was the one I chose.

I used to use the sound canvas DXi and I'd uncheck the "receive events" PC/Bank under setup as posted previously. The patch I wanted stayed as I wanted when I hit play.
Posted By: yjoh Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/28/12 11:38 AM
Some screen shots to see if it helps at all.

This with the Coyote. The patch name Jazz Guitar doesn't change but the play back patch does. I changed it to clarinet. When I hit play it stays on clarinet.

This is with the VSC. Same here the patch name doesn't change but the sound is that of the VSC, piano in this case.

I can't think of another way. Mac's idea to change the patch then re-save works. i've done that as well.

Good luck!
Posted By: Bob_B Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/28/12 11:38 AM
I channel midi out to a Ketron SD2 without DXi. My midi drivers are the Fast Track Ultra ones (ASIO).

Bob
Posted By: yjoh Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/28/12 11:48 AM
Hi Bob,

You must have posted as I was doing the screen shots.

I haven't used the Ketron so excuse my ignorance here but I'm guessing it's like other hard synths? If so you would need to set your synth to not receive patch changes. On my D50 I could stop it getting the patch change commands.

If it is a soft synth, there must be a window similar to the screen shots where you can stop the patch changes.

Others here use the Ketron so they might be of more help. Maybe it's a channel selection issue. Otherwise it's got me stumped.
Posted By: yjoh Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/28/12 12:19 PM
OK,

I found out the Ketron is a sound module. A suggestion to throw out to everyone.

Under Preferences > Midi Options, could unchecking the Patch Change boxes help?
Maybe the Style Patch Changes box in particular.

Otherwise you could look at the Fav Patches or Patch Map options in preferences. I do recall quite some time ago now having to do a patch map for my MT32 module.
Posted By: Bob_B Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/28/12 12:21 PM
Hi yjoh,

Yes, it's a hardware synth. I haven't tried to program the SD2, but I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the help.

Bob
Posted By: Bob_B Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/28/12 12:38 PM
One thing I just noticed about this song: it has a melody harmony -- 32 Joe Pass -- activated. I don't normally use this feature, so I hadn't paid attention to it, but, if I turn it off, the jazz guitar override is also removed, and I can change the melody instrument to whatever I want.

Yjoh: That's one way for sure. The other is to go into Song Settings under overrides and turn off the patch changes there. This affects just the song, not BIAB as a whole.
Posted By: DrDan Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/28/12 12:45 PM
Quote:

One thing I just noticed about this song: it has a melody harmony -- 32 Joe Pass -- activated. I don't normally use this feature, so I hadn't paid attention to it, but, if I turn it off, the jazz guitar override is also removed, and I can change the melody instrument to whatever I want.

By jove, I think you've got it!

Title: IPANEMA (THE GIRL FROM)
File:The Girl From Ipanema2.MGU
Key=F , Tempo 160, Length (m:s)=3:12
4 bar intro, 40 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 44. Repeat x3 choruses
Melody has 390 notes, Melody harmony is Joe Pass(32)
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _BOSSAG.STY (Bossa with Guitar (140 RS))
Style MIDI Instruments are :
RealTracks in style: ~464:Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 140
RealTracks in style: ~467:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Bossa Ev 140
RealDrums in style: BossaTerryClarke^2-a:Brushes , b:Blastix

All the other workarounds described were just strange to me. But this one makes sense since I had not seen this problem before and I don't use the Harmony feature.

Nice problem-solving here guys. What a team.
Posted By: yjoh Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/28/12 12:53 PM
Last post for the night,

I experimented and this works but it may not be want you want.

In the preferences options,under Environment Options at the left, when I unclicked the "ok to save/load reverb,vol etc w/songs"
box then loaded in Ipanema, I could change the melody patches at will and they stayed on what I wanted when I hit play. YES!

Hope that helps. I'm off for the night. Will see what others come up with tomorrow.

Good luck.

Just seen the last posts. So glad it's been solved, good pickup on the melody harmony. I can sleep now!
Posted By: Mac Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/28/12 02:38 PM
The Ketron SD2 automatically resets itself read to receive and play GM and Upper Banks every time its Power switch is cycled.

That should be all that is needed as far as the SD2 is concerned.

Yes, the Guitar Harmony feature, in this case apparently one of the Joe Pass jazz guitar harmonies, is handled a bit differently than what happens when one loads a single Instrument Patch in BiaB. Sounds like the OP has got it sorted now.

--Mac
Posted By: Bob_B Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/28/12 08:23 PM
Quote:

By jove, I think you've got it!

Title: IPANEMA (THE GIRL FROM)
File:The Girl From Ipanema2.MGU
Key=F , Tempo 160, Length (m:s)=3:12
4 bar intro, 40 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 44. Repeat x3 choruses
Melody has 390 notes, Melody harmony is Joe Pass(32)
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _BOSSAG.STY (Bossa with Guitar (140 RS))
Style MIDI Instruments are :
RealTracks in style: ~464:Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 140
RealTracks in style: ~467:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Bossa Ev 140
RealDrums in style: BossaTerryClarke^2-a:Brushes , b:Blastix

Dan: How did you create this list (above? I'd like to know for future reference. Thanks for all your help!

Bob aka jazzwombat "One of two simple problems solved. Anyone want to take on the other one?"
Posted By: DrDan Re: A couple of simple questions - 05/28/12 09:35 PM
Quote:

Dan: How did you create this list (above? I'd like to know for future reference. Thanks for all your help!

Song Summary in Memo!

© PG Music Forums