PG Music Home
Posted By: aarons Band in a Box through Roland GR-55? - 06/04/12 03:26 AM
Hi. I'm thinking about buying a Roland GR-55 for my guitar, and I wonder if I can play the guitar while having Band in a Box playing through the MIDI interface (my computer's sound card is lousy, but the GR-55 seems to have great sounds).

Does anybody use Band in a Box with a GR-55 in this way?

Thanks!
Posted By: LtKojak Re: Band in a Box through Roland GR-55? - 06/04/12 09:20 AM
The GR-55 can be controlled by the guitar ONLY.

It can't be used as a MIDI sound module.

HTH,
Posted By: LadyJazzer Re: Band in a Box through Roland GR-55? - 06/04/12 05:09 PM
My rig is somewhat complicated because I use a Line6/Pod-XT to set tonal presets for the three different guitars I use, (and I run all three through an old SHURE flat mixer and then mono-out to the input of the POD/XT. I use a GR-33 for the Strat for synth sounds into one input on the mixer; an electric-Nylon string Godin through one input; and an archtop jazz guitar through one input. On the nylon and the archtop, I use the Pod only for tone shaping (EQ, reverb); and I have 3-4 presets for the Strat for the few tunes where I want a compression, stereo chorus, echo, etc. By coming out of the POD's stereo effects outputs, I can go into the GR-33's "Guitar Return" inputs, and then stereo/R-L out to two Fender Deluxe-112's.

I DON'T try to use the MIDI on the GR-33, but hooking it up the way I do gives me complete control of all three guitars through the POD's floor-controller, and a volume-pedal for all three to keep things balanced.

I run an HP DV7-1285dx / Windows-7/64bit laptop for BiaB playback, and it has a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi/Notebook card in the side-slot which has been excellent for me. The X-Fi has the ability to load in sound-fonts, but since I mostly use RealTracks and not MIDI, that doesn't really seem to matter much. (I also use a RadioShack "Ground Loop Isolator" #270-054, inline between the laptop/X-Fi and the input to the PA...It REALLY helps cut down on buzzes and noises in the environment.)

If you're planning on gigging out with BiaB, I would suggest you invest in a good sound-card. That makes a LOT of difference.

Good luck.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Band in a Box through Roland GR-55? - 06/05/12 01:09 PM
Quote:

Hi. I'm thinking about buying a Roland GR-55 for my guitar, and I wonder if I can play the guitar while having Band in a Box playing through the MIDI interface (my computer's sound card is lousy, but the GR-55 seems to have great sounds).

Does anybody use Band in a Box with a GR-55 in this way?

Thanks!

it's my understanding that the original GR-1 is the only one of the series that can be used as a multi-timbral sound module.

As far as I can tell, the GR-55's MIDI in and out ports are only useful as follows:

MIDI IN lets you send patch/control changes to the device from your MIDI sequence.
MIDI OUT gives you a way to use the guitar as a MIDI controller (so you can record MIDI parts using your guitar)
Posted By: aarons Re: Band in a Box through Roland GR-55? - 06/08/12 05:21 AM
Thank you all for the replies.
© PG Music Forums